ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 9th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #1
gamma500
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Sportisi VR6 exhaust quick review

Got a slightly used (Matt's) Sportisi full exhaust, VR6 Street model. Came with 2 new crush washers, 2 Sportisi decals, 2 pieces of thin aluminum shim stock, and a knurled aluminum nut which I haven't got any idea what it's for since it doesn't fit any of the bolts involved with the exhaust.

The header's intermediate pipe is 1.75" in diameter versus 1.25" for the stock pipe....therefore the Sportisi will touch the mid lower portion of the stock lower fairing and the very end of the lower and melt off these areas unless you modify the setup...I wrapped the 4-5"s of involved pipe with exhaust wrap and SS ties, glued a similar size (5" x 3") piece of battery insulation blanket to the fairing inside and ,using a 7/8" spacer and 40mm long M6 socket cat bolt, replaced the lower fairing bolt near the brake lever so the fairing tip didn't touch the exhaust. Since you have displaced the right fairing laterally a bit, the bottom, rearmost plastic plug (of the 3) holding the 2 sides of the bottom fairing cannot be approximated..the foreward 2 do a good job of holding this area steady however.

I have the X racer rearsets set at the backmost, one up from lowest setting and the brake lever clears the can by a 1/3".

I installed the can using 1 thickness of the shim stock in a 1.25" wide strip x the diameter of the pipe...put high temp silicon RTV in the 3 pipe compression slots, wrapped the shim around and put a dot of superglue on the ends to hold in placed, opened the T clamp all the way, put a smear of antiseize on the outside of the header intermediate pipe, smoothed off the RTV on the inside of the can pipe, inserted and tightened to "full snug". The header side needs the a bit of fiddling since the exhaust flanges are free spinning and you need to center the crush washers keeping everything lined up while you hand tighten the four 12mm nuts. I torqued them down to the spec. 104 inch/lbs. System is leakfree after inital run-in.

Sportisi is lighter by almost 3.5 lbs...header pipe is significantly lighter guage than stock. Sounds like a "mini" straight through sports car exhaust on acceleration...Brrrraappp...Brrrraappp...tolerable noise at steady state cruising. I get a little backfire, "chuckling" on decel.

My bike has 1 shim, desnorkelled and was pretty rich from the Factory...with no further shimming or jet change, she runs pretty well with the exhaust..quicker in higher rpm ranges, reaches redline easily in the first 4 gears, still takes a while to reach 13-14k rpms on 5th and 6th, flattens out at 12k . Will probably add total 2 shims to needles in the future to see if this area improves.

Overall Impression:

Loud on acceleration but doesn't seem to get people staring or attract undue attention.

Design necessitates fairing insulation/pipe wrapping to avoid melt factor with subsequent fairing mount mods.

Butt Dyno has noticeable intermediate-high range power increase.

Quality of material and slipon fittings suggest possible exhaust failure (stress cracks, can loosening) if used for track system or long term aggressive street riding.

Priced "new" in range of used better known slip-ons only.

Cheers,
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #2
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Name: Brahmantio

Motorcycle(s): N250R

Hi Craig ,glad you like the VR6 , you dont have to worry about exhaust failure because these exhaust was tested intensively not just on the dyno but also on track, and has done flawless 20 laps with 3.8km distance each lap . on 3 consecutive practice runs the exhausts (VR and VR6) held fine . In case if there's a failure like all man made object has just contact matt , he'll be a of great service to you as I am to him.

cheers
bprayogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #3
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Name: Brahmantio

Motorcycle(s): N250R

Here's a short video from the track , the black ninja in second place is ours with the VR Black

Link to original page on YouTube.

bprayogo is offline   Reply With Quote