ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Underkill
ninjette.org member

Name: Ashley

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250, 08 KTM 250 XCF-W

Base sticker placement?

Hey there, finally got my stickers so I can ride my baby to work! (theres like 4 of them...bah) I tried to put them on the left fork leg since I plan on painting the bike soon, but they didn't stick. I have packing tape covering the stickers to help keep them on, but it's not going to work. I was thinking about peeling the stickers off the fork and taping them on the back of the windscreen. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Old January 26th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

On the top triple t. near where you put your key, works.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Make or purchase a small plate that you can bolt on. I removed those sillly little reflectors on the front fender, and you can use one of those mounting studs. I made a small plate that mounts under the bolt on the left side fender support.

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Duvivr6
ninjette.org member

Name: Duvi

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Special Ed

why do you need stickers to go on base? AF ruled those out a few years ago!
Duvivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Ashley, what service and what base are you on? I'm in the Navy onboard Norfolk (well, NPN shipyards now) with CVN71. I've seen only two other 250s on base, both red, so green really sticks out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post
why do you need stickers to go on base? AF ruled those out a few years ago!
You're right there, the Air Force is on the right track. The trouble is, in my case, the Navy has no intention anytime in the near future of getting rid of the stickers.

It's a useless beauracracy that just eats up man hours and money printing/issuing/tracking otherwise useless stickers that are easily forged. No one gets on base anymore without an ID, but there are literallly thousands of NEXCOM authorized vendors on the naval bases in their own vehicles daily, and their IDs are easy to forge with any copier.

The more they regionalize services for the various bases in any given geographic area, the harder it becomes for the Air Force to stand out like that, though. I'm down here in Norfolk, and the Langley base refers out a LOT of it's folks to the Norfolk health clinics, which are all on Navy bases.....thus, AF folks have to get guest passes each and every time. They can't get stickers because, being Air Force and not Navy, they're not attached to COMNAVREGMIDLNAT.

To add to the butt pain, taking your bike onboard Langley, you MUST show your motorcycle safety riders card (BRC), and it must be dated within the last 3 years, day for day. As far as the Navy is concerned, it's a one time qual (for now) followed up with either Experienced Riders Course or the Sport Bike Riders Course within 90 days of BRC class.

Every time I've been on Langley (to go to the gym, no less), it's been an inquisition event at the gate because the ID and the sticker aren't good enough without matching my driver's license (to check the M endorsement), my military ID, and the BRC card. Maybe it's just because I'm a squid.......not really sure, but it's 3 for 3 so far.

Bottom line (other than it being a royal pain in the a$$), if you have to have a sticker, it's a pain in the butt. Most guys put them on the fork sliders or some out of the way place on the body work. The rest of us make/buy a plate and mount to some bolt already in place.

Incidently, I read a white paper recently on WHY the AF went away from stickers. Other than the huge amount of money that they saved NOT printing/issuing/tracking/giving a fudge about the stickers, the added benefit was one of force protection.

It seems that in non-concentrated force areas (areas with one base or very few service members) the rate of property crimes (both vehicles and dwellings) against active duty service members was well above local averages. Elemination of the stickers almost overnight brought the statistics in line with local levels. In force concentrated areas, getting rid of the stickers almost completely eleminated property crime against service members. The disparity comes from the fact that it's easier to identify service members in smaller communities than in larger ones.

None of the other services seem to have gotten the clue that that base sticker is a great big sign to would be vandals and thieves that readily identifies individuals that get paid pretty good money the 1st and 15th of every month.

Old January 28th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #6
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

A sample link to inspection sticker plates which I use for parking sticker applications. Other companies provide them in a black finish. No fuss, no muss on the bike! I hate parking stickers slapped on any motorvehicle.

http://www.texascyclechrome.com/insp...plateuniv.aspx
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #7
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I taped my temp reg to the inside of the windscreen facing outward when I bought the bike. It stayed there for 6-8 weeks no problems. I laminated it first so it wouldn't get wet and stuck on better. You can get laminate machines from office supply stores for scrapbooking.. we end up using it all the time for all kinds of stuff now.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Click here for ebay example

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Since the AF stickers were brought up. Our base mentioned they saved $200,000 a year not having them. But the funny thing is, you should see all the people with there out dated stickers on there vehicles Lazy, lazy..... lazy

+1 for some sort of plate thou
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Ashley, what service and what base are you on? I'm in the Navy onboard Norfolk (well, NPN shipyards now) with CVN71. I've seen only two other 250s on base, both red, so green really sticks out!

You're right there, the Air Force is on the right track. The trouble is, in my case, the Navy has no intention anytime in the near future of getting rid of the stickers.

It's a useless beauracracy that just eats up man hours and money printing/issuing/tracking otherwise useless stickers that are easily forged. No one gets on base anymore without an ID, but there are literallly thousands of NEXCOM authorized vendors on the naval bases in their own vehicles daily, and their IDs are easy to forge with any copier.

The more they regionalize services for the various bases in any given geographic area, the harder it becomes for the Air Force to stand out like that, though. I'm down here in Norfolk, and the Langley base refers out a LOT of it's folks to the Norfolk health clinics, which are all on Navy bases.....thus, AF folks have to get guest passes each and every time. They can't get stickers because, being Air Force and not Navy, they're not attached to COMNAVREGMIDLNAT.

To add to the butt pain, taking your bike onboard Langley, you MUST show your motorcycle safety riders card (BRC), and it must be dated within the last 3 years, day for day. As far as the Navy is concerned, it's a one time qual (for now) followed up with either Experienced Riders Course or the Sport Bike Riders Course within 90 days of BRC class.

Every time I've been on Langley (to go to the gym, no less), it's been an inquisition event at the gate because the ID and the sticker aren't good enough without matching my driver's license (to check the M endorsement), my military ID, and the BRC card. Maybe it's just because I'm a squid.......not really sure, but it's 3 for 3 so far.

Bottom line (other than it being a royal pain in the a$$), if you have to have a sticker, it's a pain in the butt. Most guys put them on the fork sliders or some out of the way place on the body work. The rest of us make/buy a plate and mount to some bolt already in place.

Incidently, I read a white paper recently on WHY the AF went away from stickers. Other than the huge amount of money that they saved NOT printing/issuing/tracking/giving a fudge about the stickers, the added benefit was one of force protection.

It seems that in non-concentrated force areas (areas with one base or very few service members) the rate of property crimes (both vehicles and dwellings) against active duty service members was well above local averages. Elemination of the stickers almost overnight brought the statistics in line with local levels. In force concentrated areas, getting rid of the stickers almost completely eleminated property crime against service members. The disparity comes from the fact that it's easier to identify service members in smaller communities than in larger ones.

None of the other services seem to have gotten the clue that that base sticker is a great big sign to would be vandals and thieves that readily identifies individuals that get paid pretty good money the 1st and 15th of every month.

I think it is a shame that service members would be targeted for crime. Not that its ever right but especially in this day and age. My wife and her classroom run a veteran's dinner every year in appreciation. A coworker's daughter and her Marine boyfriend recently went to a nice restaurant. He was in uniform and was treated rudely by the waitor. One less restaurant on my list. Imagine some A**hole whose biggest job stress that day is to remember the specials giving rude treatment to an active military member.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #11
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i decided that i didn't wanna stick a base decal ANYWHERE on my bike. i took a piece of velcro and glued it to the 'dash-board'. top of the instrument cluster, behind the windscreen. i shaped a piece of rigid plastic for the decals with the velcro strip on one end, and a square block made of duct tape on the other to keep it level. this way i can remove it whenever i'm not riding to work. technically, i could get tagged cuz it isn't attached really 'on' the cycle, though i've had no problems with this yet. tried to take a few cell phone pix of this but...they suck'd..so will try to get some posted soon.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote