ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Name: mitch

Motorcycle(s): Green Ninja 250 2008!!!!

forks possibly bent?

My handlebars feel slightly tweaked to the right, could my forks possibly be bent and the bike still rides very well? It might just be a mental thing and im going crazy, but they feel slightly to the right... is there any methods to test such things? And can it be adjusted via the bolts that hold the handlebars maybe?
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

What Mackie (frame/fork straightener) told me was...go for a ride. If cornering becomes a challenge ( like the bike doesn't want to corner...pulls one side more than the other) then yes they are bent.

If it's slightly bent it's not going to make a huge difference. Racers race on slightly bent forks--Dino74 and Dmented did and still pulled impressive race times.

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Try loosening the pinch bolts on the fork tubes and, with someone holding the front wheel tightly between their legs, twist the bars left and right until you feel they agree with the front wheel. Tighten everything down properly.

Go for a ride and see if it pulls consistently to one side or the other when you loosen your grip.

Also push the forks up and down firmly (in the garage) to see if it feels like they are binding at any point.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Having your bars slightly off is not a huge deal. Your forks might not be bent and could simply be twisted from being laid down. If they aren't bent, you can do a quick fix to reset the bars to centre. Slightly loosen the lower pinch bolts to the triple tree and your axle bolts. Don't loosen the pinch bolts all the way. I suggest having a torque wrench handy when doing this but if not, just mark the bolts before loosening them up.

Once they are loose, straddle your seat and grab the front brake and press straight down on the handle bars in a direction perpendicular to the ground in order to compress the front forks a good bit. Do this at least a few times. Check the alignment and tighten all the bolts back up and you should be good.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
chsonnu
ninjette.org member

Name: ccs

Motorcycle(s): 2009 kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2001 Suzuki GS500

I would first make sure the forks aren't twisted. I do this by measuring the distance between the dust seals to the lower clamps.
chsonnu is offline   Reply With Quote