ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Painting Nails While Driving: Nurse Faces Up To Five Years For Killing Motorcyclist

From a press release issued by AMA

Woman painting fingernails while driving convicted in motorcyclist's death

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- A woman who was painting her fingernails while driving and smashed into motorcyclist Anita Zaffke, killing her, has been convicted of felony reckless homicide, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

Lora Hunt, 49, reportedly showed no emotion when the jury read the verdict after deliberating a little more than three hours on May 6. The trial lasted two days.

Hunt, a nurse, faces up to five years in prison when she is sentenced next month.

Zaffke, 56, was killed when Hunt, who police said admitted she was painting her fingernails at the time of the crash, smashed into the back of Zaffke's motorcycle at a stoplight in Lake Zurich, Ill., about 40 miles north of Chicago, on May 2, 2009.

At the trial, Hunt testified she had stopped painting her nails before the fatal crash. Her defense lawyer argued Hunt's actions were negligent, like eating a sandwich or talking on a cellphone in a car, and not reckless, according to the Chicago Tribune.

But Assistant State's Attorney Mike Mermel, who prosecuted the case, argued that Hunt acted recklessly, the newspaper said.

"It is not the same as biting a sandwich. ...It's a voluntary disablement," the newspaper quoted Mermel as saying. "She might as well have been in the back seat making a sandwich."

Greg Zaffke II of Wauconda, Ill., the victim's son, told WGN News following the verdict: "There are no winners today. There is no celebration or happiness. Two families will forever carry the hurt and anguish caused by one person's reckless actions behind the wheel."

After the fatal crash, Zaffke began painting his fingernails black as a reminder to anyone he meets of his mother's death. And he formed the Black Nail Brigade Foundation Against Distracted Driving (www.BlackNailBrigade.org) to publicize the dangers of distracted driving, push for legislation to impose appropriate penalties for distracted drivers who seriously injure or kill others, and to boost awareness to share the road with motorcycles.

He told WGN News that the Black Nail Brigade efforts transcend his mom's death.

"I love my mom, but I understand that. There are other loved ones dying," he said.

"On behalf of the AMA and its members, I want to express our sincere condolences to Ms. Zaffke's family," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. "This episode puts into stark relief the tragedy that can result from distracted driving, and we hope that our efforts and those of Greg Zaffke will help avoid further tragedies."

In 2009, the AMA adopted a formal position statement that endorsed enhanced penalties for those who injure or kill others while operating a motor vehicle when distracted or inattentive operation is involved, with the goal of preventing motorcycle crashes from occurring in the first place. To read the AMA's position statement on distracted and inattentive driving, go to AmericanMotorcyclist.com/legisltn/positions/distracted.asp.

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling rights organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I hate seeing drivers doing everthing else but driving - I think that putting cup holders in cars was the turning point for distracted drivers. They think that driving is secondary to talking, looking at self in rear view mirror, putting on make-up, fixing the hairdo, and yelling at the kids, or something other than eyes on the road.

I think we should be more responsible when driving - it is a complex task.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I seems to me that people today do not take driving a 2,000+ lb vehicle very seriously. The same as with motorcycle training and education I feel that drivers education and training should be much harder than it is now.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I hate seeing drivers doing everthing else but driving - I think that putting cup holders in cars was the turning point for distracted drivers. They think that driving is secondary to talking, looking at self in rear view mirror, putting on make-up, fixing the hairdo, and yelling at the kids, or something other than eyes on the road.

I think it all started when they started putting radio's in cars.

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post

JG, You are so on target that it is frightening. Whatever happened to common sense? Thank you. Your take on this matter is a breath of fresh air. Thought you needed to know that
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #6
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Thanks Sailariel...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #7
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Hmm..5 years to take a life? Hmm...
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #8
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

This was the original site - go here and get the whole story, look at all the links.

http://www.blacknailbrigade.org/#
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It should not only be 5 years but also she should never be allowed to drive again.

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Yoda
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

If I remember correctly the felony conviction also nulls out her medical license. And even if it doesnt stuff like that will come up under a medical back ground check and since it was "reckless" any medical practioner would refuse to touch something like that because of the hit they would get on malpractice insurance/liability.

Old May 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #11
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Probation, or 5 years

Her lawyers comment:
Quote:
Had Lora Hunt been eating a sandwich or dialing her cell phone instead of polishing her nails when she struck and killed a motorcyclist, she would not now stand convicted of reckless homicide, her lawyer contends.
Dicks talking on cell phones should get 1000.00 dolllar tickets!<1st off IMO
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I think it all started when they started putting radio's in cars.
I think it all started when they started - cars
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #13
izmail1215
ninjette.org member

Name: SaM

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250r, 2009 650r

my friend had a crash last month by a fat lady texting and i was at Cort they read the message it was food related... >
izmail1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I seems to me that people today do not take driving a 2,000+ lb vehicle very seriously.
I completely agree. These days when I'm out for a ride, I almost never see someone focusing on the road.

California's laws regarding the matter should be made a federal law.
From what I remember, it's illegal to have a phone in your hand. You can talk on one with speaker-phone or a headset but you can't hold one.

Maybe I'm just uptight, but I find it infuriating to see someone talking on the phone while driving or just not paying attention to the road.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #15
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

It's already been proven by a dozen colleges that talking on a cellphone is just as, if not worse than, driving at the legal BAC level.

I think driving and talking on a cellphone, hands free or not, should be illegal. Period.
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #16
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Now let's just hope the judge slam dunks the killer-driver into prison for the maximum, and not some "slap on the wrist" penalty.
Posted via Mobile Device
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #17
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

I don't know what's worse really, the fact that she thought it was ok to do something like that while driving, or the fact that that kind of person was a nurse.

I'd paint my nails black for that, too bad the Navy won't let me
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #18
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Sad thing is driving under the influence is still one of the biggest cause of car crashes, and there is already a law against that. People simply won't learn / keeps thinking they'll do fine anyway. I think we need stricter penalty.

Though I remember reading that newsbit about the nurse painting her nail, there was nail polish splattered over the inside of her car after the crash, sounds guilty to me.

Old May 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #19
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Her medical licence requires that she "save" lives not take them. Fingernail polishing while driving unbelievable.... when will all these ridiculous driving habits be outlawed when operating a motor vehicle. It has gotten way out of hand. Considering her profession... her penalty should be far more severe.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #20
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Her medical licence requires that she "save" lives not take them. Fingernail polishing while driving unbelievable.... when will all these ridiculous driving habits be outlawed when operating a motor vehicle. It has gotten way out of hand. Considering her profession... her penalty should be far more severe.
I agree, 5 yrs is way too low of a penalty.

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #21
toast
ninjette.org member

Name: Laurie

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
California's laws regarding the matter should be made a federal law.
From what I remember, it's illegal to have a phone in your hand. You can talk on one with speaker-phone or a headset but you can't hold one.

Maybe I'm just uptight, but I find it infuriating to see someone talking on the phone while driving or just not paying attention to the road.
BC's law banning the use of hand-held electronic devices by drivers came into effect earlier this year. Aside from the early police blitz in the "warning period" people have reverted back to using them just as much as before.

Unfortunately, studies have shown that talking on a hands-free device isn't much safer than using a cell phone, but the bigger worry here is text-messaging and people fiddling with their GPS and i-pods.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #22
skiba
ninjette.org member

Name: Antonio

Motorcycle(s): Lime 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
Hunt, a nurse, faces up to five years in prison
There's a nice little helping of injustice.

Old May 13th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #23
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

What I hate is I was on my motorcycle one day and noticed a lady in a SUV. She had her phone in both hands, with her wrists leaning against the steering wheel, traveling 45mph. I could see directly into her eyes, not once did she look up to see where she was going.

I don't think it is the car that did this one, it is our laws and culture. Americans have been raised to think "I need this and I need it NOW!!" People don't have any patience anymore. A simple example of this is watch drivers during rush hour, heck at anytime. Drive the speed limit and count how many cars DON'T pass you. I went down the highway in my car one day thinking, who won't pass me if I go the speed limit. So I got on there doing 65, and set it on cruise. I only noticed ONE car that didn't pass me. Everyone else was doing a good 5-20mph faster than me. Fast food is another thing. Since when is it bad to have to WAIT for your food?

Seriously, Americans especially have been pre-programmed to want everything right away. We are told to upgrade our cars every 4 years, need bigger and faster motors, need bigger cars, trucks and SUVs. Give me a freaking break people and calm down. I'm telling you, 90% of the people in this country, if not more, could use a healthy dose of yoga or something to calm them down.

Heaven forbid if you pass up a call when you are driving. I think it is about 9 times out of 10 that I pass up a phone call while driving. That is why I like my motorcycle so much. I don't use a iPod, cell phone, radio, or anything else like that. I simply enjoy the ride. How many people can drive to work without the radio on? I'm sure it is less than you think. I will constantly turn off my radio. You are actually more relaxed because it is one less thing your mind has to concentrate on.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #24
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Her lawyers comment:
Had Lora Hunt been eating a sandwich or dialing her cell phone instead of polishing her nails when she struck and killed a motorcyclist, she would not now stand convicted of reckless homicide, her lawyer contends.
She wasn't eating damn sandwich! She wasn't dialing a cell phone! Even if she was she was being irresponsible behand the wheel of a car. She thought her fingernails were more important than a human life.

I hope she got the full 5 years.

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #25
skiba
ninjette.org member

Name: Antonio

Motorcycle(s): Lime 250R

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
What I hate is I was on my motorcycle one day and noticed a lady in a SUV. She had her phone in both hands, with her wrists leaning against the steering wheel, traveling 45mph. I could see directly into her eyes, not once did she look up to see where she was going.

I don't think it is the car that did this one, it is our laws and culture. Americans have been raised to think "I need this and I need it NOW!!" People don't have any patience anymore. A simple example of this is watch drivers during rush hour, heck at anytime. Drive the speed limit and count how many cars DON'T pass you. I went down the highway in my car one day thinking, who won't pass me if I go the speed limit. So I got on there doing 65, and set it on cruise. I only noticed ONE car that didn't pass me. Everyone else was doing a good 5-20mph faster than me. Fast food is another thing. Since when is it bad to have to WAIT for your food?

Seriously, Americans especially have been pre-programmed to want everything right away. We are told to upgrade our cars every 4 years, need bigger and faster motors, need bigger cars, trucks and SUVs. Give me a freaking break people and calm down. I'm telling you, 90% of the people in this country, if not more, could use a healthy dose of yoga or something to calm them down.

Heaven forbid if you pass up a call when you are driving. I think it is about 9 times out of 10 that I pass up a phone call while driving. That is why I like my motorcycle so much. I don't use a iPod, cell phone, radio, or anything else like that. I simply enjoy the ride. How many people can drive to work without the radio on? I'm sure it is less than you think. I will constantly turn off my radio. You are actually more relaxed because it is one less thing your mind has to concentrate on.
It's not just Americans, it's western culture in general. When you look at how technology has been advancing in the last two or three centuries, things are just growing exponentially. A friend of mine and I were talking about this recently. The easiest way to describe it: Things got faster. Everything got faster. I mean, who uses a simple *manual* toothbrush these days? That's just absurd

We can thank (or not thank, as the case may be!) the Industrial Revolution for all of this speed.

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #26
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Well, it looks like if I ever wanted to kill anyone all I have to do is get behind the wheel of my car and say I was distracted. Alot better than pulling a trigger and getting 25 to life for the same crime. I mean, the worst case scenario is 5 years? That isn't bad.

Ahem, seriously though. I really dont see the difference. NOT looking at the road while moving a 2 ton vehicle at 45+ MPH is just the same as walking down the street blindly swinging a knife.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote