Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Pictures

Notices

Old August 21st, 2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

2007 Ninja 250 pooness

I got this bike for next to nothing. Guy didn't know what he was doing with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...GFuc3ZoMlByQ28

The oil check glass was broke and someone uses jb weld or some kind of epoxy to fix it. But it still leaked. So I had to improvise, a lot of RTV liquid gasket, a washer, piece of tin, and a couple zip ties. I didn't want to waste money on a lost cause.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...HlTS1luQXp1VjA

I got it home and stripped it down to do a damage assessment. I hooked a lawn mower battery up to it just to see if it would crank. the battery would spark.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...kNLaHJGZmhlRXM

to check for power

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...VdpeWtpNjQxZUk

So I checked all the wires and fuses. Found that the power terminals on the starter relay were backward and that the 30amp fuse was blown. So I keep looking. A couple wires at the plug for the rectifier looked questionable and the wires for the rear lights were just cut and left there. I fixed the starter relay wiring and unhooked the rectifier as well as spread out all of the wires for the rear lights so they wouldn't ground out. And Great success, she cranked great and started right up with some fresh gas.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...WhSakphY1pUSVE

So now I will move on to test drives. I have a new proper battery and a used in great shape wiring harness. As soon as I confirmed it drives, I will replace the clutch cover that has the oil glass in it and start getting it road worthy. My plan is for a very very simple street fighter. I think it will look better without the old fairings in the front. I'm also going to trim the side pieces and leave the tail section off.
Kool-aid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2017, 03:13 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
awesome work on wiring! Usually where a lot of bikes gets dumped!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2017, 06:22 PM   #3
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Wow- that sounds like a basket case! I'm glad she found her way to you and will soon feel much better.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Will post pics tomorrow. Kentucky is hot when you are working in a garage.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:04 AM   #5
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Well done. I'm still working on some minor wiring issues, I guess you would call them issues. I got a beautiful 2006 for $700. Previous owner had installed a ton of aftermarket LED lighting system. Just left over wires everywhere. Nothing that is bad for me or the bike just something that was completely unnecessary and takes up my precious time. Wiring is a pain. Congrats on your find. Got a good title?

Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

this is the original wiring. It was a mess

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...nB0TjQ4MTExQlU

Also I was fixing the front sprocket that had a snapped bolt on the keeper. the one I got from ebay has 14 teeth? One I took off the bike is on the bottom with 13 teeth. they look completely different?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...Fh2aDZndmNPNXc

Any ideas? As far as I know I only have a regular 250, not the 250r

Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:19 AM   #7
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Well done. I'm still working on some minor wiring issues, I guess you would call them issues. I got a beautiful 2006 for $700. Previous owner had installed a ton of aftermarket LED lighting system. Just left over wires everywhere. Nothing that is bad for me or the bike just something that was completely unnecessary and takes up my precious time. Wiring is a pain. Congrats on your find. Got a good title?
Yup title is good. I am even in contact with the previous previous owner. And ya, they did a rear LED hack job as well. I found a full harness on ebay for 18.99 plus 14.15 shipping. So worth the money. It was in great shape.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:19 AM   #8
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid View Post

Also I was fixing the front sprocket that had a snapped bolt on the keeper. the one I got from ebay has 14 teeth? One I took off the bike is on the bottom with 13 teeth. they look completely different?

the 250 and 250r are the same bikes. 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
EX250F
Whichever you choose to call it. Not sure what the difference is in the teeth. However there are a ton of guys who can and will answer that for you.
UB any ideas?
@Ram Jet
@Triple Jim

Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:22 AM   #9
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yup title is good. I am even in contact with the previous previous owner. And ya, they did a rear LED hack job as well. I found a full harness on ebay for 18.99 plus 14.15 shipping. So worth the money. It was in great shape.
Yeah you probably saved yourself some time buying a new harness. Someone went balls to the wall installing all these "nice" little fashionable lights. Then just removed the lights and left the wires. If I'm selling a bike I'm going to let the buyer know hey there's some wires under there, this is what they're for. Instead most people leave the big puzzle for you to solve. Hell I will take it over engine trouble but it's still a pain.
Great buy on the harness, ebay is awesome.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 10:00 AM   #10
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

amen to electrical than engine

Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:55 AM   #11
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:

The 14 tooth on the top appears correct. You were sent the wrong sprocket. By the way, you'd be NUTS to run a 13 tooth sprocket unless you want to induce whiplash in your neck. I went from a 14 tooth to a 15 - and then from a 45 rear to a 42.

Bill

Old August 22nd, 2017, 01:38 PM   #12
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Let me know if you need a clutch cover or anything else for that matter. I have piles of parts in the garage, including 3 engines in various states of disassembly. Box of sprockets and chains, wheels, forks, fairing, cables ect......
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:54 PM   #13
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Got some slack in the chain and installed the 14 tooth. And now there's an oil leak. Looks like it's dripping off the bolt heads on that cover next to the oil drain plug. It's a cover under where the front sprocket is. About 4 or 5 bolts on it. Dripping every other second. Didn't want to risk a short drive.

And I am absolutely interested in a clutch cover. Just send me a price and shipping cost to 42408.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:39 AM   #14
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Got some slack in the chain and installed the 14 tooth. And now there's an oil leak. Looks like it's dripping off the bolt heads on that cover next to the oil drain plug. It's a cover under where the front sprocket is. About 4 or 5 bolts on it. Dripping every other second. Didn't want to risk a short drive.

And I am absolutely interested in a clutch cover. Just send me a price and shipping cost to 42408.
@Ram Jet can tell you exactly what that is. That where the screen is UB? Hope it's nothing serious but Ram Jet had some issues with stripping on his 2007 hopegully thats all your issue is. You check the bolts to make sure they're all in properly and none are stripped?

Old August 23rd, 2017, 10:02 AM   #15
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
@Ram Jet can tell you exactly what that is. That where the screen is UB? Hope it's nothing serious but Ram Jet had some issues with stripping on his 2007 hopegully thats all your issue is. You check the bolts to make sure they're all in properly and none are stripped?
Looking at the book, it seems thats where the screen is. Hopfully some RTV on it and it will stop leaking. I'll drain and try tonight. She's a little loud idling at 4grand and no muffler. LOL

Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM   #16
Ram Jet

Quote:
Looking at the book, it seems thats where the screen is. Hopfully some RTV on it and it will stop leaking. I'll drain and try tonight. She's a little loud idling at 4grand and no muffler. LOL
I would use Permatex High Tack on that screen cover. Works fine on mine. While your at it clean that screen too. I hope to heck it's not your countershaft seal. Not fun to replace.

Bill

Old August 23rd, 2017, 12:32 PM   #17
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I would use Permatex High Tack on that screen cover. Works fine on mine. While your at it clean that screen too. I hope to heck it's not your countershaft seal. Not fun to replace.

Bill
oh lord, what is the countershaft? Is that the gear selector shaft? And I will use Permatex high tack. Autozone looks to have a few different kinds. Also can I forgo a new seal if I use the permatex?

Last futzed with by Kool-aid; August 23rd, 2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: adding verbage =)

Old August 23rd, 2017, 12:42 PM   #18
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

With my ninja Googling, I have found this site

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

I will ask less questions. I love being apart of a forum again. You meet people who are great and very willing to help.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 03:02 PM   #19
Ram Jet

Quote:
oh lord, what is the countershaft? Is that the gear selector shaft? And I will use Permatex high tack. Autozone looks to have a few different kinds. Also can I forgo a new seal if I use the permatex?
The part I was suggesting you use Permatex on is the one pictured. I like Permatex High Tack because when you remove a part that you installed with it it cleans up nicely with just lacquer thinner and a paper towel. No scraping or chipping an old gasket off. You can even use it without a gasket. I even used it once to seal the cylinder heads to cylinder after removing the copper head gasket on my 73' Kaw 500 triple.

The countershaft seal is located directly behind your front or countershaft sprocket. On my Honda 500 you have to remove the engine and split the crankcases to get it out. I don't know about the Ninja - probably the same thing. No, Permatex won't fix that only a replacement seal. You're probably OK though. You would probably have to have something like 200K miles on your bike to wear that out.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (58.3 KB, 1 views)

Old August 25th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #20
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
The part I was suggesting you use Permatex on is the one pictured. I like Permatex High Tack because when you remove a part that you installed with it it cleans up nicely with just lacquer thinner and a paper towel. No scraping or chipping an old gasket off. You can even use it without a gasket. I even used it once to seal the cylinder heads to cylinder after removing the copper head gasket on my 73' Kaw 500 triple.

The countershaft seal is located directly behind your front or countershaft sprocket. On my Honda 500 you have to remove the engine and split the crankcases to get it out. I don't know about the Ninja - probably the same thing. No, Permatex won't fix that only a replacement seal. You're probably OK though. You would probably have to have something like 200K miles on your bike to wear that out.

Bill
did you mean to say Permatex high "temp"?

Old August 25th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #21
Ram Jet

Quote:
did you mean to say Permatex high "temp"?
No it's Permatex High Tack in a four ounce can with an applicator brush built into the cap. Permatex product code #80062.

Bill

Old August 27th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #22
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

And Ram Jet, you won. It is leaking from behind the sprocket.

Old August 27th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #23
Ram Jet

Quote:
And Ram Jet, you won. It is leaking from behind the sprocket.
Well, it's better to repair it now then when you get it all together and running well. Just remember, "Nothing's so bad that it couldn't be worse." You might be able to replace the seal without splitting the cases. The good news is that the seal is less than $5.00.

Bill

Old August 27th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #24
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

Very true.

Old August 27th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #25
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:T...ump-to-license

Part 92027?

Old August 27th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #26
Ram Jet

Quote:
Part #92049

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ASE/parts.html

I found some kits from All Balls bearing supplier but none specifically for the Ninja. You may want to call or E-mail them.

I don't know where Wiki got that exploded view but it's not accurate by today's standards. I can't even find 92027 on the Partzilla view.

Bill

Old September 19th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #27
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

thank you very much. I finally got that part put in. Hmm, I guess this is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170914_202850.jpg (29.6 KB, 10 views)

Last futzed with by Kool-aid; September 19th, 2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: change

Old September 19th, 2017, 09:29 AM   #28
Ram Jet

Quote:
thank you very much. I finally got that part put in. Hmm, I guess this is bad.
Bearing races? Good God!!!! I'd better check mine the next time my bike is torn down.

Bill

Old September 19th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #29
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
My favorite flavor... Purple

Old September 20th, 2017, 07:06 AM   #30
Kool-aid
ninjette.org member

That was the countershaft seal behind the front sprocket. And grape is the best. LOL

Old September 20th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #31
Ram Jet

Quote:
That was the countershaft seal behind the front sprocket. And grape is the best. LOL
Oh! Duh. Well, it looks like it disintegrated.

Cherry or Jim Beam for me.

Bill