Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

polishing up the engine block

hi all,

im a little new to this, but im about to strip the old flaky paint off a 2 stroke engine block from an RX 100 (yamaha)

im contemplating to leave it unpainted, and just polish it up and put a clear coat. is that possible?...

ive searched and read it up a little and seems like some people suggest to just polish it, and re-polish every now and again (quite a lot of work). while others say its possible to use a high temp clear coat.

will a clear coat stick to a polished surface?

im wondering if it isnt better to use high temp black paint for the long run maybe...

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Clear coat will not still well to a polished surface. When you polish, you are reducing the pores in the surface, which the clear coat/paint uses to bond. Also, clear coat dulls the polish look so the hard work you will have done will just go to waste. I would definitely go with the high temp satin black.

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I polished my engine cases .it is a lot of work. First you have to sand and sand till you can't see ANY scratches. Then polish .
The paint will not stick. Nothing will stick. I use never dull and mothers and wax and they are grayer now than when I first did them but still shiney. I would suggest sand blasting to remove the paint then ultra fine paper to get to the polish stage.
This thread needs pictures
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #4
ako
ninjette.org member

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): EX250-H

BBQ paint (black) is a good cheap option. I have even painted 2 stroke expansion pipes with this.
ako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
This thread needs pictures
ok ok, ill take a coupe "in progress" pictures.

whipped out the paint remover (evul nasty stuff that) and started stripping the smaller parts last night.

the engine has this slight metal corrosion under the original paint, and its basically possible to scratch it off with my fingernails, so removing the paint wont be hard. its the fine sanding, and polishing that will take a while.

i started to take pictures while i deconstructed the bike, in case i needed reminders on where the cables went,

its gonna be a fun ride once we put her back together and get the engine running.

i also took the top end of the engine block off, and saw a small chip in the edge of the piston. im guessing we will most likely need to replace that, the rings, and get new gaskets.

then also hope that the carb still works... it was sat in the garage for 2 years with fuel in it! ive NEVER seen a carb that gunked up. it was literally like scraping old chewing gum out of there! lol.... i was too busy cleaning that i didnt think about taking pictures, should have tho~

ill try and remember to take some pics later when i get home and post some here

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #6
wayanlam

might have to take on the exhaust with some BBQ paint, atm its rusty chrome, and looks terrible. has quite a few dents in it too, lol

they used to take this bike out in the fields and use it as a motocross.... and dropped her a lot

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
might have to take on the exhaust with some BBQ paint, atm its rusty chrome, and looks terrible. has quite a few dents in it too, lol

they used to take this bike out in the fields and use it as a motocross.... and dropped her a lot
LOL. Hillbillies will be hillbillies, no matter what culture your from.

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #8
wayanlam

forgot to take a pic before removing the tank and saddle, oops~

left~

right~

peeeeling...

engine out!

hmm... worked on it for about 2 minutes with 1000 grit sandpaper and some metal polisher

i can already tell that its gonna be a pita to clean all of those FINS, lol...

Last futzed with by wayanlam; July 11th, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
I can already tell that its gonna be a pita to clean all of those FINS, lol...
You cant stop now

Thanks for the pics. Keep us posted

Maybe find a local sandblaster. You could probably remove all fittings and protect what you dont want blasted. Would give you a big headstart. just a thought.

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #10
wayanlam

i would be afraid that they dont have much experience sandblasting engines, and might do more damage than good. well maybe there is a workshop thats done some previous work cleaning up old engines, but i wouldnt know where ask, or who to trust.

also the budget of my friend who owns this bike is really quite minimal, so its gonna be down to some good old fashion elbow grease.... sandpaper and water is cheat at least!

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #11
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Get a drill mounted red scotchbrite pad, should get everything except corners.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #12
wayanlam

here is a progress update... about 3 hours of sanding by the two of us... i literally sanded my hands raw, started to bleed on two fingers before i realized, HAHA....

can see what it looked like by comparing it to the other side that we havent started on yet. the larger piece isnt done yet. had to stop sanding cos my my bo-bo, lol

still need another one or two sanding/polishing sessions to get the rest of the engine parts as clean and shiny as the engine head and the small cap/cover that we managed to finish.

Last futzed with by wayanlam; July 11th, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #13
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Great job . Sanding sucks hu??

Old July 5th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #14
wayanlam

i actually enjoyed watching the parts go from that ancient peeling black paint to that shiny bling finish! i would have kept sanding for another hour had the fingers not given out.

at first my friend thought i was crazy.... but by the time we were done, he was dissapointed that we couldn't get the lower piston sleeve polished up the same way, rofl.

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #15
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

There are better & easier ways to remove black paint than sanding. Sanding should only be after the paint's removed. Media blasting would be the best. You can also use paint thinners. It's easy and painless.

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #16
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Take the motor completely apart since you have to replace crank seals anyways. then take the case, jug and head to a guy who does walnut blasting and then you will be good to go.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #17
wayanlam

i have paint remover. we used that to start with, otherwise it would have taken wayyyy longer than it did to clean those parts up xD

gonna stick with that and sandpaper for now. i think a couple more sessions and we will be done with the rest of the engine )

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
i have paint remover. we used that to start with, otherwise it would have taken wayyyy longer than it did to clean those parts up xD

gonna stick with that and sandpaper for now. i think a couple more sessions and we will be done with the rest of the engine )
Make sure you replace the crank seals if not your wasting your time.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #19
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
this is a shot of the right side covers. Chemical stripper then sand blast then sanded and polished..
It is a lot of fun watching the parts shine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone photos 410.jpg (104.5 KB, 9 views)

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #20
wayanlam

all the seals will be changed out, the engine will be totally overhauled. piston needs to be replaced, there is a chip in it~

the carb took me a while to clean out, sat for 2 years with fuel in it... used a whole can of carb cleaner on that baby. rofl...

probably gonna repaint the rest of the bike myself too. its gonna be an fun 1st time for me. ive watched others repaint bikes, etc. really curious how the rest of this lil project will come along

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #21
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Sometimes cowhide gardening gloves will protect your fingers while you sand. Refinishing on a strict budget comes down to elbow grease though.

And a reminder: Are you sanding out of doors? It would be best for your health to keep as much of that fine sanded paint out of your lungs as possible.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #22
wayanlam

gloves wouldn't give me any feel with what im doing. fingers are healed up now, waiting for my friend to come by again for another sanding session, lol...

with the use of the paint remover we are definitely doing this outdoors, with running water, etc.

we are also wet sanding this, going from 180 grit, down to 320, then 1000 grit. so there is no dust from sanding with the water.

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #23
kkim

what about using some air tools, or at least a dremel, to help speed up the sanding and polishing.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #24
wayanlam

dont have a compressor, nor a dremmel in my small artillery of tools, although both are on the "wish list"

might borrow a compressor from work when we need to start painting the bike though.

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #25
wayanlam

another update, took the engine apart a little more:

lil bit of a chip in the piston, lol...

time to replace that~

its late, so just posting up the pics, peace

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #26
ducducgooseit

Quote:

That'll polish out.

Old July 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #27
kkim

for cleaning up the engine case halves, if you're not going to paint it (I didn't), I've found wd40 and 3m scotchbrite works wonders to clean up old, stained, unpainted case halves.

also, paint stripper makes an excellent gasket remover.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #28
ducducgooseit

Wayanlam - what came of this

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #29
wayanlam

the owner of the bike got really really reeeally... slack, and stopped coming over for ages. since im helping him out for free, and im not getting anything out of this besides the experience, i dont plan to work on the bike on my own without him to give me a hand.

everything is still sat in small piles all over the floor, sigh~

he did come by the other week to pick up the bikes frame since he wanted to drop it off somewhere to get it repainted. i think he got tired of stripping the paint on the engine block, hehe

ill update again once there is some movement again.

in the meantime i just bought a 1989 Honda 115cc bike, sorta like a CB for a little over $200

dropped it off at the mechanic to check the engine, do a full service, and possibly do a little porting while we are at it. gonna mod it into a retro/classic looking bike.

something along these lines if possible

ill post pics up when i start working on that, hehe...

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #30
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8