Rotella T oil = 15$

It's on sale this week at Canadian Tire 15 bucks for 4L
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #2
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

wow what a steal. but I guess after taxes you'll still be paying more than us :P
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #3
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I just checked and the Rotella T 5w40 is $22 + taxes. The 15w40 is $15.

Old April 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Is that the regular Rotella T or the synthetic T6? The only thing I can find locally is the T triple protection which is not a synthetic.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ucts_home.html
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5
NinjaDaddio
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ron

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (father) & 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (son)

Cool Rotella-T vs Rotella-T6

Okay,...fellow Ninja warriors,...I think some clarification is needed here for those riders that use Shell's Rotella Oil in their bikes. Like most oils on the market, the manufacturer usually distributes several formulations within that particular series. Rotella is no different. However, I have noticed a lot of confusion concerning the specs on Rotella T6 vs Rotella T. Of course, most of us know that most motorcycles have a wet clutch configuration, where the same oil lubricates both the mechanical components inside the engine as well as the clutch plates of the attached transmission. Oils that contain "friction modifiers" can cause shifting problems in motorcycles because they literally cause slippage of the inherent friction plates inside the clutch bundle. One classic clue that any oil has friction modifiers in its formulation are the words "Energy Conserving" or "Fuel Conserving" on the front seal of the bottle or jug. If you look at the two Rotella series, the white bottled Rotella T does NOT have that in the seal. However, the Rotella T6 does. Also, what's really important is to examine the oil's classifications on the back label of the bottle. Look for the JASO rating, which is usually one of the last ratings listed. An oil that has NO friction modifiers included will be labeled "JASO MA", such as the Rotella T bottle is. If you look closely at the Rotella T6 back label, you will clearly see that it is marked "JASO MB". This indicates that there are some friction modifiers present, although not the same bundle as in most conventional energy-conserving oils. Now, I'm not trying to indicate the Rotella T6 should not be used. It's excellent oil, and the fact that it's synthetic makes it a superior oil to conventional oils. I'm merely trying to shed some light on the two Rotella types, and reiterate the importance of looking for the "JASO MA" rating on the back label of the bottle or jug.
NinjaDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #6
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDaddio View Post
Okay,...fellow Ninja warriors,...I think some clarification is needed here for those riders that use Shell's Rotella Oil in their bikes. Like most oils on the market, the manufacturer usually distributes several formulations within that particular series. Rotella is no different. However, I have noticed a lot of confusion concerning the specs on Rotella T6 vs Rotella T. Of course, most of us know that most motorcycles have a wet clutch configuration, where the same oil lubricates both the mechanical components inside the engine as well as the clutch plates of the attached transmission. Oils that contain "friction modifiers" can cause shifting problems in motorcycles because they literally cause slippage of the inherent friction plates inside the clutch bundle. One classic clue that any oil has friction modifiers in its formulation are the words "Energy Conserving" or "Fuel Conserving" on the front seal of the bottle or jug. If you look at the two Rotella series, the white bottled Rotella T does NOT have that in the seal. However, the Rotella T6 does. Also, what's really important is to examine the oil's classifications on the back label of the bottle. Look for the JASO rating, which is usually one of the last ratings listed. An oil that has NO friction modifiers included will be labeled "JASO MA", such as the Rotella T bottle is. If you look closely at the Rotella T6 back label, you will clearly see that it is marked "JASO MB". This indicates that there are some friction modifiers present, although not the same bundle as in most conventional energy-conserving oils. Now, I'm not trying to indicate the Rotella T6 should not be used. It's excellent oil, and the fact that it's synthetic makes it a superior oil to conventional oils. I'm merely trying to shed some light on the two Rotella types, and reiterate the importance of looking for the "JASO MA" rating on the back label of the bottle or jug.
This is slightly incorrect.

Shell Rotella T and T6 are appropriate for your motorcycle.
Rotella T5 is not, as it has the friction modifiers.
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #7
NinjaDaddio
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (father) & 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (son)

Cool Rotella this,....Rotella that...

Hey HorizonXP,...actually if you re-read my post you see that I don't actually mention Rotella T5 (only mentioned T and T6). What is interesting is that many of you have been able to find Rotella T 5W40 in your local market areas. I live south of Kansas City, and all I can find is Rotella T 15W40. I have been able to find Rotella T6, as well as the Mobil 1 4T Racing Synthetic designed specifically for motorcycles. I found the Mobil1 product at AutoZone, but at a price of $10 per quart. AZ also had Castrol's 4T motorcycle oil in a 10W40 viscosity range, but that's conventional oil. They both have the JASO MA rating on the back of the bottle. I realize that a lot of bikers use the Rotella T6 Synthetic,..and swear by it. I wasn't trying to indicate that it shouldn't be used,....only that it's JASO rating on the back was MB,...rather then MA. MA indicates that it has absolutely no friction modifiers. MB indicates that it does have some basic modifiers. Take a look at Mark Lawrence's websites where he breaks down oil ratings, etc. He provides a wealth of knowledge about different oil ratings, etc.

Old September 16th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #8
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDaddio View Post
Hey HorizonXP,...actually if you re-read my post you see that I don't actually mention Rotella T5 (only mentioned T and T6). What is interesting is that many of you have been able to find Rotella T 5W40 in your local market areas. I live south of Kansas City, and all I can find is Rotella T 15W40. I have been able to find Rotella T6, as well as the Mobil 1 4T Racing Synthetic designed specifically for motorcycles. I found the Mobil1 product at AutoZone, but at a price of $10 per quart. AZ also had Castrol's 4T motorcycle oil in a 10W40 viscosity range, but that's conventional oil. They both have the JASO MA rating on the back of the bottle. I realize that a lot of bikers use the Rotella T6 Synthetic,..and swear by it. I wasn't trying to indicate that it shouldn't be used,....only that it's JASO rating on the back was MB,...rather then MA. MA indicates that it has absolutely no friction modifiers. MB indicates that it does have some basic modifiers. Take a look at Mark Lawrence's websites where he breaks down oil ratings, etc. He provides a wealth of knowledge about different oil ratings, etc.
Unless you're T6 is somehow different, that is incorrect. It has a JASO MA specification.
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #9
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

All three gallons I have on hand of T6 are JASO MA.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

They were all once known as Rotella T (1)#W-## until more recently. The "6" really only means you have new stock. Most agree that you should use the 5W-40, which is now known as T6. The JASO label and seal should say MA and not say "Energy Conserving." AFAIK, neither Rotella T 15W-40 nor Rotella T/T6 5W-40 are supposed to have these friction modifiers or indications on the seal.

Anyway, I got three jugs of the stuff for under $20 USD earlier this Summer thanks to dubojr1's Advance Auto Parts deal.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #11
NinjaDaddio
ninjette.org newbie

You are all exactly right. I went back to Wally World and checked out the jugs of Rotella T6 they had on the shelf,..and it is indeed marked "JASO MA". I think what threw me off was an area in the ratings section that was printed as "MB Approval 228.31". I was quickly scanning all of the synthetic oils for that infamous "MA" marking and simply came across the MB area first. So,...sorry I added all this confusion to the Rotella series. I do wish that I could find the deals on T6 that most of you seem to come across. I ended up picking up the 1 gallon jug of T6 for $24.99 at Autozone. Wally had it a little higher. I'm going to run the T6 in both my Ninja250 and Ninja500,...and then next change switch over to the comparable Amsoil product. That way I'll be able to determine which one allows for easier shifting on both bikes,...and perhaps cooler operating temps. Anyone use the Mobil 1 Racing T4 oil?