ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Key Security

I was not aware of this, but my electronic genius son informed me of this. You know those little plastic cards we have on our keys for discounts at your local grocery store, or anything else for that matter. If a thief gets ahold of a set of keys you lost, all he has to do is make a small purchase at a grocery and have the clerk swipe the bar code on the card. Your address appears on the receipt and the thief has access to your house and car. I keep those cards separate from my keys. Just another thing to be aware of.

Old December 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #2
kkim

none of my receipts using a discount card has the address on them. I just checked. I'm not saying some stores may never print your address on the receipt, but I see no reason why they would need to.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I dont carry those cards either. Just give them my phone #
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Kelly, I'll check mine as well. My son works with computer security--specifically ATMs--he programs them so that they can communicate with each other. I'll have to get some more specific details and get back to you.

I'll bet you have some great weather in the Islands. Here it is damn cold--in the teens with no snow. Where we used to live--Syracuse, NY--they got 70" in three days. They are still digging out. Love my new bike. It is nicely put away in a heated garage. Kelly, Have a very Merry Christmas.

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #5
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Oh really that sucksss
I just lost a bunch of mine, although most of them don't have my info on them but have other members of my family.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #6
kkim

Alex,

I was just saying the store I have an account with doesn't put the address on the receipt. I can see where some might, though... bad form.

Weather here sucks... 77* and it's about to rain.

Merry Xmas to you, too, bud!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #7
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

i always put a fake address on those things, i hate junk mail.
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #8
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Alex,

I was just saying the store I have an account with doesn't put the address on the receipt. I can see where some might, though... bad form.

Weather here sucks... 77* and it's about to rain.

Merry Xmas to you, too, bud!
From what he wrote earlier, I thought he meant if someone got a hold of them he could scan the barcode on the back, and although it may not show your address and other information on the actual card, some additional information may be stored in the barcode.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
From what he wrote earlier, I thought he meant if someone got a hold of them he could scan the barcode on the back, and although it may not show your address and other information on the actual card, some additional information may be stored in the barcode.
It takes a much more complicated code to "store" anything (think, Nintendo eReader or those square stamps with a dot pattern). They are just numeric pointers to information stored elsewhere, like in a computer database. The address is obviously on file for them to be able to return your keys to you, which is a useful service they almost all offer as an incentive for signing up (most say to drop in any mailbox to return to the owner). Obviously, anyone with access can abuse it, but I don't see your average store printing them on receipts. Most wouldn't even let the average employee pull it up... or, at least, they shouldn't (manager usually can to track purchase and return history even by recept codes and they may not lock everyone else out).

Anyway, it may be MORE secure to have them than not due to the return service most include.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
i always put a fake address on those things, i hate junk mail.
Just hope no one lazily drops yours into a mailbox when you are retracing your steps and asking at the Lost & Found.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Plasmatoast
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R - 08 250R - 03 250EX - 86 KLR 250

Best Buy is the Biggest culprit of this I can think of, They always make you confirm your address when you swipe your Rewards card
Plasmatoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmatoast View Post
Best Buy is the Biggest culprit of this I can think of, They always make you confirm your address when you swipe your Rewards card
My RZ cards are scanned, not swiped. Also, they don't go with your keys and they'd only be kept with other items that have the same information (driver's license).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote