ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 31st, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Alpinestars GP-R Perforated Leather Jacket

What do you guys think of the Alpinestars GP-R Perforated Leather Jacket? I'm seriously considering upgrading to leather, but since there are so many models and makes I need your guy's thoughts.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Jacket.aspx

I want to get a relatively higher up jacket, but won't cost me a billon bucks (below $450). I figure if I fall in textile, I can't repair or use it again. If I fall in leather, I'm more protected, I can reuse it and I look a lot better.

Thanks for the help guys,

NDpsd

NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #2
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82781

Here's a earlier thread, 'tho the OP decided to go with the Dainese Alien
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I am very happy with mine. The protection is great with the a* stars bionic chest pads and bionic air back protector. A* also uses their new thinner but more protective shoulder and elbow pads which make it a little less bulky. Fit is excellent for me and I like how the body of the jacket goes past my waist a bit more than a lot of other jackets I've worn. Rode with it all summer and I am still using it in right now. Not to bad in cold weather so long as you layer up (Just recently rode 52 F weather over the weekend). I doesn't come with a quilted liner for cold weather, but like I said layer up (if you do ride in cold weather) and it should be fine. Overall I don't think you'll be disappointed getting the gp-r.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I was actually going to buy one of these for casual riding but couldn't find the budget for this jacket and a set of matching pants.

Good call on leathers though. I started with a two piece textile suit from Speed and Strength but quickly decided it was worth investing a set of leathers (after seeing some videos of before/after accidents with textiles...)

It's difficult to spend this kind of money on an article of 'clothing'... but $500 on a jacket is better than road rash and skin graphs... plus at least leathers look awesome :P
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:54 PM   #5
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Yeah, its a pricey jacket but I feel I'll definitely have it for a long time. It's held up great too, It's just as white, red, and black as when I bought. I just clean it every couple months and its as good as new.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:31 AM   #6
NDspd

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Cool thanks for the help guys!!!

Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

It's a nice one, protection in the elbos is lighter/less area than the Vector. Also did the bio armor up grade for back.
Wouldnt be my choice for cold weather thou...... But you need a couple jackets anyway, perf for Hot & non perf for Cold
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM   #8
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

that jacket looks great and with the perforation will be great for all seasons. Before committing to motorcycle-superstore, id call ridersdiscount to see how much you can save through them. They ALWAYS have a deal going on. TRUST
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #9
NDspd

I know that it's an expensive jacket, but from the reviews and the videos I've seen, this is the jacket I am pointing toward. Lots of perf is what I need, since I go to school in Savannah, GA, hot and humid is the big one. Plus, a fellow motorcyclist I met said, "You can only fall once in textile jackets, but in leather, you can fall as many times as you want". Yeah, I hope not to fall, but I'd rather not test it.

I want to have a jacket that will last me many years but will also look good. So that's why I chose the GP-r. It may be a bit over board, but I will be upgrading the bike eventually.

Thanks for the help!

Old November 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #10
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I want to have a jacket that will last me many years but will also look good. So that's why I chose the GP-r. It may be a bit over board, but I will be upgrading the bike eventually.

Thanks for the help!
You don't have to justify why you purchased a nice Jacket, I hope you really like it. I never understood why people think high end protective gear is overkill for a new rider or smaller bike. A 70mph crash on a 250 is the same as a 70mph crash on an 1198S.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #11
burningscooter
clutch

Ill be purchasing the same jacket here in a couple of weeks. Will be going with White/Black though. Got an excellent deal and really like the support for the Bionic Back Protector.

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
Ill be purchasing the same jacket here in a couple of weeks. Will be going with White/Black though. Got an excellent deal and really like the support for the Bionic Back Protector.
Yeah I have a good chunk of money heading my way and I have a winter job, so once the bank fills up a bit, I'll purchase it. No rush though, I can't ride for 9 weeks anyways.

And Forceofwill you're so right, a fall is a fall.

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #13
burningscooter
clutch

Quote:
Yeah I have a good chunk of money heading my way and I have a winter job, so once the bank fills up a bit, I'll purchase it. No rush though, I can't ride for 9 weeks anyways.

And Forceofwill you're so right, a fall is a fall.
yeah man. truth is, I need to stop stalling, I better start putting this gear money away to furnish the house. HAHA

Old November 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #14
NDspd

Ok scratch going for the A* GP-R...I found one even better. I'm going with this one!!!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=12932

Old November 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #15
burningscooter
clutch

Quote:
Ok scratch going for the A* GP-R...I found one even better. I'm going with this one!!!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=12932

[IMG]http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/images/InitialSet/teknic_2012_chicane_lthr_jkt_white_detail_1_600.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/images/InitialSet/teknic_2012_chicane_lthr_jkt_white_detail_3_600.jpg[IMG]

Why the change of heart? I prefer the looks of the Alpinestars compared to the Teknic. If costs is what changed your mind then you need to call ridersdiscount and get the Alpinestars jacket for cheaper than the Teknic.

True story.

Old November 16th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #16
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
Why the change of heart? I prefer the looks of the Alpinestars compared to the Teknic. If costs is what changed your mind then you need to call ridersdiscount and get the Alpinestars jacket for cheaper than the Teknic.

True story.
Well cost was a little, but I love both designs. Both have perf, both look great in white, and the Teknic has a racing hump (looks freaking awesome). I can't really explain why I changed, but my gut is pointing me toward the Teknic in the white. I mean what would be the differences of them if I put them side by side and had a good go over with them? It's kind of hard when there are no stores even remotely close to me that carries these two. From just the pics online, minus the race hump and the zippers and such, they are really similar. Yeah the coloring is a bit different too and both look awesome to me. So really it's a toss up again, even if I can equalize the price it's still almost a tie. hmmmmm.....

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #17
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
I know that it's an expensive jacket, but from the reviews and the videos I've seen, this is the jacket I am pointing toward. Lots of perf is what I need, since I go to school in Savannah, GA, hot and humid is the big one. Plus, a fellow motorcyclist I met said, "You can only fall once in textile jackets, but in leather, you can fall as many times as you want". Yeah, I hope not to fall, but I'd rather not test it.

Thanks for the help!
^ One fall took out my Teknic jacket....... Pants live to see another

Edit,, For the hump, you better try that on for sure. Alpinestars hump sucked on the Vector, helmet would hit it(keep you from tucking in behind screen). I paid to have it De-humped, much better.

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #18
burningscooter
clutch

I was actually dead set on getting the gpr. will probably go with a dainese leather jacket instead.

Old December 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #19
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
^ One fall took out my Teknic jacket....... Pants live to see another

Edit,, For the hump, you better try that on for sure. Alpinestars hump sucked on the Vector, helmet would hit it(keep you from tucking in behind screen). I paid to have it De-humped, much better.
Hmmm...good point...I'll have to look at that once I get to back to school where my helmet is.

Where and how did you get damage on your jacket?

Old December 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

I love my 2012 teknic chicane.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #21
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
I love my 2012 teknic chicane.
High Five man!!! I love mine too....until I can actually get on my bike and ride. DANM you winter!!!

Old December 9th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #22
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
What makes a jacket worth this much?

Do they sell it for that much, just because they can?

Old December 10th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #23
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Hmmm...good point...I'll have to look at that once I get to back to school where my helmet is.

Where and how did you get damage on your jacket?
At the track, Left shoulder got a little messed up. Wasnt even going that fast
Some pics of the chicane jacket in the "$&%@& Crashed" section.

Sucks I didnt buy another one when they were on close out for dirt cheap

Old December 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #24
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
At the track, Left shoulder got a little messed up. Wasnt even going that fast
Some pics of the chicane jacket in the "$&%@& Crashed" section.

Sucks I didnt buy another one when they were on close out for dirt cheap
Bummer man...hope you came out of it unhurt

Old December 12th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #25
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I like the features on the GP-R except for the perf.

Looking at upgrading to leather myself I am leaning towards the GP Plus and adding the chest protectors and upgrading back protector.
The GP Plus will be warm in the summer but hopefully not overly cold in the winter with minimal layers.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #26
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD575 View Post
I like the features on the GP-R except for the perf.

Looking at upgrading to leather myself I am leaning towards the GP Plus and adding the chest protectors and upgrading back protector.
The GP Plus will be warm in the summer but hopefully not overly cold in the winter with minimal layers.
That was one of the jackets I was looking at, from the reviews I've read it's a great jacket for semi-warm to moderate climates. It's also very protective.

Old December 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #27
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
What makes a jacket worth this much?

Do they sell it for that much, just because they can?

Old December 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #28
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

^Its leather, it takes a lot of manual labor to clean and prep it to be layed, cut, etc. Motorcycle leather is a lot thicker than regular jackets and as such adds more labor to making a jacket. Then there is the use of strong stitching for tear resistance. Overall a lot of crap to do to make jackets. Some are cheaper some are more expensive depends on the design of the jacket and how easy it is to manufacture or assemble. You can look for vids on alpinestars manufacturing they show some of the processes, just not the proprietary (i.e. processes they don't want to show) stuff.

Old December 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #29
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
So would this Alpinestars be better than another not so well known brand that made it exactly the same, but sold it at a cheaper price?

Old December 13th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #30
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
So would this Alpinestars be better than another not so well known brand that made it exactly the same, but sold it at a cheaper price?
Just about jackets of the same style are similarly constructed, leather, stitching, zippers, pockets, liners.....

The differences are: quality of materials, attention to detail, workmanship/warranty issues, brand name.

The A*'s and off-brand product could be made at the exact same plant, the differences could be what bins the base materials come from and amount of "hand time" the product receives.

I will gladly pay more for a higher quality of finished product and a brand that will stand behind that product.

These same issues and details really become apparent in the firearm and holster manufacturing industries.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #31
NDspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD575 View Post
Just about jackets of the same style are similarly constructed, leather, stitching, zippers, pockets, liners.....

The differences are: quality of materials, attention to detail, workmanship/warranty issues, brand name.

The A*'s and off-brand product could be made at the exact same plant, the differences could be what bins the base materials come from and amount of "hand time" the product receives.

I will gladly pay more for a higher quality of finished product and a brand that will stand behind that product.

These same issues and details really become apparent in the firearm and holster manufacturing industries.
Makes a good point^^^

Old December 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #32
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Alright. I get it.