ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Unexpected "hidden" storage space in the tail

My bike came with a full cover (don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I do recall seeing the name before so it's a common one). Light gray/silver nylon. I had room to carry it on my recent trip, and I'm glad I did... it kept the seat and such dry when the weather turned a bit moist, and kept the bike out of the sun when parked all day.

I got to thinking about a way to perhaps carry it around with me when I don't have a tank bag. It's too big to stuff under the windshield, and too big to fit under the cowl... or so I thought at first.

Monkeying around with it, I started stuffing it into the gap at the edge of the tail compartment, underneath the bodywork. I thought I might be able to get enough of it down into the "cheeks" of the tail that I could fit the cowl cover back on.

To my surprise, it just kept going... and going... and going.... I got way more than half of it stuffed down in one side before I stopped and stuffed the rest down into the other side. There seems to be room to spare.

I kept thinking there must be a hole at the bottom somewhere and the thing had to be coming out (think circus clown car), but I couldn't see any.
Having never taken all the bodywork off and not knowing exactly how things look under there, I had visions of this fabric getting stuffed into the airbox....

But there was no indication of anything amiss. Looking at nekkid photos, it looks like the black plastic undertail piece(s) meet the colored tail bodywork to form a closed space.

This extra void doesn't appear to be useful for anything but stuffable fabric, and you can't get your fingers or hand down in there. But if you've got something you can wedge down that little slot, it seems to be a viable way to carry it.

I'm thinking maybe a light fleece top for when it gets cool, or my mesh jacket liner (light nylon) or something like that.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #2
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

well when i took off my rider seat I could see up into space under the passenger seat, so your cover probably went down there somewhere
killerkay3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

there is a good bit of space in there - and it's darn near impossible to get things out if you lose something small in there - like a screw >( Good use for it!

Old September 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

I've ridden quite a bit with the cover stuffed in there and nothing's melted yet.

Today I took some bodywork off for the first time (it baffles me why Kawasaki didn't put a little hole in the side panels to let you remove the seat without removing the side panels...but I digress).

Here are photos of what I'm talking about.

A big pile of nylon. This isn't compressed, obviously, but even scrunched as tight as possible it won't fit under the cowl.

The gap I'm talking about.

Just start stuffing...

Where things wind up going....

Stuffed as tight as reasonable with my fingers (I don't want to go to extremes...the object here is convenience, not seeing how much I can possibly stuff in there). Not much left over.

Remainder stuffed down the other side. Plenty of space left over!

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #5
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

If I put my bike cover in there where am I gonna keep my 9MM?

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Why, on your person, of course!

Would you put your protection in the spare tire well in your car? What's the point?

(Many of those of us who have pistol permits tend to have a similar attitude to ATGATT...better to have it on you and not need it than to need it and not have it.)

Yes, I do have a CCW.

And I voted for Obama.

Figure that one out if you dare.

Old September 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #7
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Yes, I do have a CCW.

And I voted for Obama.

Figure that one out if you dare.
Already done. I don't have a concealed permit (since Providence doesn't give them without very good reason), but I do have a pistol... And I voted Obama.

Good call on the extra tail space - I had always wondered about that, but as yet haven't had anything to put in there.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Back OT, please.

Old September 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Discussion of topics such as firearms and politics on forums that aren't about either one have a habit of going way, way off topic very fast, and it's rarely a worthwhile side trip.

Forums are echo chambers (everybody tends to agree) when it comes to what the forum is about, but on unrelated topics there is a very broad spectrum and it's too easy to step on toes without meaning to.

Let's get back to bikes, please.

Old September 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #10
gamma500
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I found this trick a while back also, used it for my cheap, more like "fortified" paper cover. Occasionally you need to watch out if it hangs up on something under there when you take it out..not sure what protrudes in that space but there are a few things near the tail light area.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #11
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

It would be nice if there was a way to use some of the wasted space in the body.

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:35 AM   #12
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I lost my tire gauge in that area, removed the seat and found it. That is a good place to store things, but unless it is like the cover it is difficult, for me, to remove it without taking off the seat. I have been working on a "small storage location" lately and will post it when I finally get it right.

nb

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Why not just get/make a small, narrow bag small enough to fit down in there, with a string? Loop the string around the helmet hook and use it to pull the bag out of the hidey-hole.

If you want to go ultra-simple, just use a sock.

Old September 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM   #14
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I was so impressed with this idea that I just went down to the garage and tried it... Unfotunatley I learned:

- My alarm blocks progress on one side
- things have to scrunch up very small
- It's very easy to get your hand stuck

Shall stick with the tailpack for now but will no doubt investigate further .. I like the idea of a small thin bag...