ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Majik
ninjette.org member

Name: Connie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R RED!

Smile 5'2" and my feet are not flat when I stop...help!

Hey. I'm a newbie. I just bought a 2008 Ninja 250 2 days ago. I cannot completley put my feet flat on the ground and this makes me too uncomfortable to ride. Also, I must be a super weakling because I have trouble getting the bike in an upright position after drawing the kickstand in. I have heard about lowering links but are they safe? Also, do they change the way the bike rides? I cannot wait to ride but I don't feel safe as it is now. I don't like having to balance the bike on my tippy toes especially since the bike is heavy for me anyways! Jeesh! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
littlemike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250r

ah you don't need to be flatted footed to balance the bike, I'm 5'3" and I don't have any problems balancing my bike on my toes. You can find a parking lot and practice slow speed stopping by leaning on one side and put on foot down. You can also wear motorcycle boots that have a bigger insole to help you balance the bike.
littlemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Make sure you don't stop cross-wise on a slant, or one of your feet won't be able to reach the ground at all.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thanks LittleMike! My concern comes from the bike being heavy for me. If I'm on my tip toes and get off balance, the bike will be down. I have heard of people wearing boots for this purpose so I will give that a try. Thanks alot for your response!

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #5
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

ahh I say lower it an inch....I have heard its safe to tip toe but honestly why do that if you dont have to? you can purchase some lowering links and lower the bike to a safe Height and not be handicapped by not being in total control of the bike. my friend is going the route u are in now and she cant park on anything close to gravel or she wont be able to back her bike up, she cant park on a hill/any uneven surface and when she is on the bike and trying to make slow turns she gets nervous because she knows if she has to put her foot down odds are she is going down because she will only make it to her tippy toes twice already she has dropped her bike from only trying to slowly pull into a parking space while "walking" the bike.

tippy toes are not safe!!!!!!
just my 2 cents.
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Some info here as well:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Lowering

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Hedge36
SooperChikkin.

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS Adventure, '07 250 Ninja

Connie, it's not necessary to be able to flat-foot the bike. That said, your confidence is obviously getting dinged at the moment... so yes, swapping the links will help, is safe, and is a good way to ensure that you feel more comfortable in your ability to control the bike.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Majik
ninjette.org member

I know Anthony...that's what scares me. My biggest fear is dropping the bike and possibly getting hurt. Would you recommend the boots or a lowering kit?

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Hedge36
SooperChikkin.

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS Adventure, '07 250 Ninja

Boots: cheap, easy and the effect lasts as long as the soles do.

Daytona LadyStars are great boots and can add up to an inch.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Majik
ninjette.org member

Yall are ALL awesome for replying! Thank you so much. Thanks for the links and the suggestions! This bike is too pretty to drop. My fears are keeping me from riding and it is about to kill me to have to just look at it. Well, I do sit on it alot and I crank it up alot! LOL!!! Well!!! I can't help it! LOL! THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #11
littlemike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Would you recommend the boots or a lowering kit?
Maybe the boots first ? If that works fine that you don't have to spend money on the lowering links. Plus it's always good idea to wear protective gear when riding (boots,gloves, jacket...etc). If you still don't feel confident then get some lowering links.
littlemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
I know Anthony...that's what scares me. My biggest fear is dropping the bike and possibly getting hurt. Would you recommend the boots or a lowering kit?
I don't know how good these Icon boots are for riding, but they sure look sexy, and can add easily 3" to your legs. I would also lower the bike by an inch or two (adjust headlights). Between the two, you'll be on equal footing (no pun intended) with us guys.

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Majik
ninjette.org member

That's a good idea LittleMike! That certainly makes perfect sense! Thanks again for your replies!!

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #14
Majik
ninjette.org member

Well, those are pretty sexy Anthony! I'll have to see if I can find some like these. I bet they would work. Like you, I don't know if it would be difficult to shift gears and such with them on. Guess I'm going boot shopping! Thanks Anthony!!!

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Well, those are pretty sexy Anthony! I'll have to see if I can find some like these. I bet they would work. Like you, I don't know if it would be difficult to shift gears and such with them on. Guess I'm going boot shopping! Thanks Anthony!!!
They are classified as women's motorcycling boots, not fashion boots, so they must be fine. The concavity in the sole should secure your foot on the peg at about the right place. I think they kick ass.

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #16
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
I don't know how good these Icon boots are for riding, but they sure look sexy, and can add easily 3" to your legs. I would also lower the bike by an inch or two (adjust headlights). Between the two, you'll be on equal footing (no pun intended) with us guys.

Coming from another 5'2" girl, I would NOT recommend these boots. The place you need height added when you're this short is not the heel, but the balls of your feet. If I were to put those Icon boots on, the heel wouldn't touch the ground anyway. It'd be the same as wearing flat shoes. If I wear shoes with a very thin sole, too little of my foot contacts the ground. I currently have some Harley boots that give me about .75" of boost in the sole, and I feel comfortable riding (and stopping) since I can now get the balls of my feet on the ground.

Parking is a whole other story.

I say try boots first, and if that still feels iffy for you, go for the lowering kit.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #17
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

^ I'm just a guy, so what do I know?

Anyway, just google "women's motorcycle boots", and select search by "images", and you will see pages and pages of different types and brands of boots. Happy shopping!

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #18
Cute Scoot~

Question Pink or Red

Ya think I'd be Safe in a Pair of these ..maybe Red to match my Bike or Pink is my favorite color

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #19
Majik
ninjette.org member

Yea Jessica, I thought of that too. The heel gets height but not the balls of my feet, which is where I need it the most. I will do a little research to find the proper boots. Thanks for your input. It's rough to be short sometimes, isn't it?

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #20
Majik
ninjette.org member

Tammy...those boots would def add inches. Those are pretty hot! I'd be tucking in those laces though..LOL! Thank you!

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #21
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thanks Anthony. That's what I'm gonna do...a search for riding boots! Thanks for ALL of your replies!

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #22
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

connie....or you can ride my 04 ratbike which is an inch lower till you get the hang of it...and i'll ride yours in the meantime...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #23
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Hey Connie, I have the same problem as you do, as I'm 5'1"

Boots definitely help, and will help protect your ankles if you fall. It just takes some getting used to.
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #24
Majik
ninjette.org member

Wellllllll.....about the rat bike ...ummm...as tempting as that may be I think I will hang on to the '08 and practice on it. But, thanks for your offer!

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #25
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thank you Michele!! I'm def gonna try the boots.

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #26
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Lower the front and lower the rear, then try boots. One thing to note is that by lowering the bike you will not have good clearance on corners, so don't lean too far over or you exhaust will be toast.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #27
Majik
ninjette.org member

Thanks Greg. I had heard that about the clearance when you lower the bike. I will def. keep that in mind.

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #28
F3nrir125
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Try using a technique by using one foot. I saw it at the my local dealer when the salesman (~5ft 3in) is showing my friend who is also around the same height how to flat foot on a ducati. I'm not sure how it works exactly since I only get to see the left side of the bike with his leg on the ground. I think he had his right foot on the pegs and or brake with 1/2 his arse on the seat.
F3nrir125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #29
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Didn't read everyone's posts but it's natural to feel awkward (like you're fighting to keep the bike upright) when it's your first bike, especially when you're short. Almost every noob feels like that initially. After you get some seat time you'll become more and more comfortable.

Seriously, your brain/body will adapt naturally and find ways that is accommodating. Try scooting to the left when you come to a stop, flat footing it with one foot and balance the bike.

I and many others who are vertically challenged do that. It may feel weird trying to balance the bike but after awhile it just comes natural and easy to do.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #30
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

That's why I suggested lowering the front and rear, chances are good that after a bunch of seat time she will be ready to raise the bike back up.

There is also the option of a custom seat that might lower it a little too, though I don't think there is much to be gained from the 08/09 seat.

With enough combinations of things it should be possible to get a full inch lower.

Old October 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #31
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

I'm not a huge fan of lowering the links because of ground clearance issues especially with our kickstand pretruding (sp?) out so bad.

Old October 12th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #32
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post

i have these boots and i think they are great...they give me enough extra leverage to be able to push my bike out of a dip in the ground or a hill...not quite as much protection as other boots, but still way better than running shoes....oh and of course looking sexy doesn't hurt
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #33
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I'm another shorty and I've cut down the seat on my ninjette rather than lowering or boots. That's probably made an inch worth of difference .. i tried daytona ladystar boots and hated them - they made my feet feel too clumpy and made it hard to change gear even with some adjustment on the gear shift - I didn't find they made that much difference either.. my recommendation would be to try them before you buy (no just get mail order) as they are not cheap...

To do the seat I took the cover off and then took an electric carving knife to the foam - took a while and the hardest bit was stapling the cover back on! Also, like some have said already practise slow speed stuff in a car park to get your confidence up, also try pushing your bike around to get used to the weight and the balance - don't be afraid to get off and push it in and out of parking spaces - there's no law that says you have to be able to paddle the bike! I can paddle one footed on the flat - any hint of a slope and I get off and push!
Good luck and enjoy your riding

Old October 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #34
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

well you've already seen my opinion if you read the lowering wiki - I've never had any problems with the exception of one particularly nasty speed bump that all bikes have trouble with- no clearance issues with cornering or anything else - best thing I've done. It really does make everything better mentally too- give it a try - you might even be able to find some links used on ebay somewhere

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #35
Majik
ninjette.org member

YAY! I had some boots that I had forgotten about. I bought them last year on clearance. This has solved my problem. I can now put my feet flat on the ground. THANKS MUCH to EVERYONE who responded. I appreciate all of you. What a great site this is!

Old October 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #36
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

You might still consider changing the seat so that you get a little bend in your knee. One of those cant hurt things.

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #37
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
YAY! I had some boots that I had forgotten about. I bought them last year on clearance. This has solved my problem. I can now put my feet flat on the ground. THANKS MUCH to EVERYONE who responded. I appreciate all of you. What a great site this is!
I require photos
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #38
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

^ Me toooo. What is your inseam and how high are these boots? I am still nowhere near flat-footed...
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #39
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I require photos
Me too but only if you're drop dead gorgeous. I ain't got time for nasty fat chicks.

I kid, I kid.....not really but okay.

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #40
Majik
ninjette.org member

LOL!! Yall are funny. How do I get my picture beside my posts. I put my pic on my profile but can't figure out how to get it on my posts. Anyways...I don't know what my inseam is and the boots that I am using has a stacked 2 1/2 inch heel and the sole is about 1/2 inch. These are not motorcycle boots but I will use them until I buy a pair. Check Harley Davidson's boots out. They have some sharp looking ones that will add some height. As soon as I get some pics...I will post them!