ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Need help identifying carburetor gunk and removing pilot

Not sure if it's OK to make this many threads, but it seems this problem isn't related to my previous thread's original problem. I've removed the carbs once more and I found them to be extremely dirty.

I'm also unable to remove one of the pilot jets. Either I ruined the shape or the PO did so. Anyone know how I can remove this and if I need to replace it? I can't seem to find a proper flat head screw driver that feeds down that hole.

Here are pictures of the dirt after attempting to use my bike:

The black gunk turned white after sitting in the air for a couple of minutes. The gunk around the edges is some sealer I used to hold the seal in place while I put it back in. The only thing I can think is that it might be from the sealing paste, but I didn't put THAT much and I didn't put any inside of the carbs.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i can accurately identify said gunk as "Filthy Crap"

look in your gas tank.

Old August 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Berryman's Chem Dip

This stuff works. The only downside is you need to completely disassemble the carbs so no plastic parts touch the dip.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i can accurately identify said gunk as "Filthy Crap"

look in your gas tank.
I'll be taking another look, but I've just recently replaced the fuel entirely and added a fuel filter. Maybe some of my gas grabbed the grease from when I relubed the lock but I would expect my filter to stop that :/

Old August 1st, 2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post

Berryman's Chem Dip

This stuff works. The only downside is you need to completely disassemble the carbs so no plastic parts touch the dip.
oh I've heard of these dips. Would this clean out the stuck pilot jets as well? I'm afraid of ruining the threading even more at this point and don't want to touch them unless i get a correct size screw driver.

Old August 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #6
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
oh I've heard of these dips. Would this clean out the stuck pilot jets as well? I'm afraid of ruining the threading even more at this point and don't want to touch them unless i get a correct size screw driver.
I don't know if it will help with the stuff threads...
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM   #7
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
I'm also unable to remove one of the pilot jets. Either I ruined the shape or the PO did so. Anyone know how I can remove this and if I need to replace it? I can't seem to find a proper flat head screw driver that feeds down that hole.
I would take the jet you got out, and fit a screwdriver for it that has a thickness which very closely matches the slot. Then grind down the sides of the screwdriver so that it will fit into the jet, and you now have yourself a jet screwdriver.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77 View Post
I would take the jet you got out, and fit a screwdriver for it that has a thickness which very closely matches the slot. Then grind down the sides of the screwdriver so that it will fit into the jet, and you now have yourself a jet screwdriver.
Didn't even think of this, great idea!

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Got one to fit... it still won't come out. How the hell can this jet be stuck this hard in there when the other one came out so easily!

Edit: Looks like this one may have to be drilled out at some point... Good thing it's only 2 or so dollars online.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:50 AM   #10
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Try an impact driver first. You beat the end with a hammer and it converts the beating motion to a rotary motion and gets the screw out. Harbor Freight sells one.

Also, if you know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, it might be able to vibrate the jet enough to where it comes out easier.

If you drill, Harbor Freight sells a reverse drill bit set. But drilling should be a last resort. Its usually what one does right before he orders a new carb from ebay.

Another thing. Whoever reassembled the carb should not have used silicone sealer on the gaskets. Silicone sealer is not for use with gasoline. The gaskets work fine on their own. If you need help getting them to stick in place while you assemble it, use a thick grease.

Whatever was left of the sealer may be responsible for the current damage. If it is, then using a long tipped pencil type soldering iron to heat the jet may cause it to release the bond.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:40 AM   #11
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Try an impact driver first. You beat the end with a hammer and it converts the beating motion to a rotary motion and gets the screw out. Harbor Freight sells one.
If you attempt this, be very careful. Pounding on a soft aluminum casting can be a recipe for disaster if you're not careful. I would always try and remove it with either a screwdriver or perhaps a small stilson wrench. Be sure to lube it copiously ahead of time with something like PB Blaster or Kroil. Little bit of heat applied directly to the head of the jet from a pencil torch may help in addition to the penetrating lubes mentioned above.
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post

Also, if you know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, it might be able to vibrate the jet enough to where it comes out easier.

If you drill, Harbor Freight sells a reverse drill bit set. But drilling should be a last resort. Its usually what one does right before he orders a new carb from ebay.

Another thing. Whoever reassembled the carb should not have used silicone sealer on the gaskets. Silicone sealer is not for use with gasoline. The gaskets work fine on their own. If you need help getting them to stick in place while you assemble it, use a thick grease.

Whatever was left of the sealer may be responsible for the current damage. If it is, then using a long tipped pencil type soldering iron to heat the jet may cause it to release the bond.
It was not silicone based. I used a gasket grease recommended in a previous thread by @Motofool. Maybe I put too much and it got in?

I actually lost my one good pilot jet somewhere in my garage... This is what I get for trying to do motorcycle repairs when I'm fasting

Do you guys know what type of #38 pilot jet goes into that spot? A couple motorcycle stores have #38 Keihin jets but I don't have a jet to check them against anymore. I guess I'll keep looking, but it's doubtful I'll find such a tiny piece.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sincerely sorry

I used it once in a car carburetor repair without any problem.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Sincerely sorry

I used it once in a car carburetor repair without any problem.
Motofool

Daily Carb Destroyer

Old August 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #15
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Got one to fit... it still won't come out. How the hell can this jet be stuck this hard in there when the other one came out so easily!

Edit: Looks like this one may have to be drilled out at some point... Good thing it's only 2 or so dollars online.
Are you talking about the jets? If so, WHERE IS THIS MAGICAL PLACE?

You can also try a couple more things: You can boil the carbs in water, this should loosen stuff up, not to mention clean it up a bit too, or you can do a week-long pine-sol dip. You can also get carb dipping solvent from a local motorcycle dealer, they have stuff that you can soak your carbs in, plastics and all. My Kaw dealer told me that they can sell me a bottle for about $7, and you dilute it with water.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77 View Post
Are you talking about the jets? If so, WHERE IS THIS MAGICAL PLACE?

You can also try a couple more things: You can boil the carbs in water, this should loosen stuff up, not to mention clean it up a bit too, or you can do a week-long pine-sol dip. You can also get carb dipping solvent from a local motorcycle dealer, they have stuff that you can soak your carbs in, plastics and all. My Kaw dealer told me that they can sell me a bottle for about $7, and you dilute it with water.
Yes, I'm talking about the pilot jet. The sides of the flat head top have been pretty worn down by both the PO/previous mechanics and myself. The thing refuses to budge. I'm going to try and take it to a friends mechanic tomorrow and see what he recommends. If he can't get it out himself I'm going to try heating it up, the grease thing mentioned before, and drilling it out if all else fails.

It seems something in the threading for this jet is making it stick so the carb cleaner in a can hasn't done a single thing to ease it out.

Edit: I also recommenced to anyone else with their carbs to replace all the screws they can with some nice stainless steel allen head bolts. Makes life so much easier.