ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 13' zx-6r 636

darn cagers

Alright, so i'm approaching my second month of riding and already I have encountered numerous situations where a cager almost kills me.

One example was last night.
So I was riding in the city, two lanes per side with space for cars to park on the side. I was in the farther right lane with nobody in the lane to my left. I start to notice a ford f150 approaching from my left rear. They eventually are next to me and i start to get a little nervous because i notice them inching ever so slightly towards my lane. They pull up a little bit more ahead of me and then they just instantly change into my lane while still being next to me. I reacted by moving into the space that's meant for parking, and braking. luckily, my timing was perfect considering that there was a parked car about a car distance from where i stopped. If i had simply just swerved, i would have been routed directly into that car. I think if i hadn't already been watching this trucker from hell, the night would have been ended quite poorly.

What are some of your crazy cager stories?

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Immediately next to cars Nick Ienatsch calls that the "Death Zone". I try to stay out of that and blind spots. Glad you had an out.

You make me super nervous. Ride safe bro.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #3
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

You kind of have to pay attention to that stuff. If you think there's any chance a car wants to get over in the lane next to you, give him room, either in front or behind. Your whole philosophy when riding should be to stay out of other cars way or you are going to have a very bad time.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Get a cheap helmet cam and start recording. If someone tries to intentionally hurt you while you are riding, report them to the police with the video evidence. Make sure you get their plates.

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

had the same darn cagers thing in my head last night. 2lane road, left lane blocked off, im in the right lane and theres construction ahead...i look in my rearview and i see some dude in a mustang hauling ass catching up to me quick, i just continue my speed and keep going, assuming hed slow down or merge right behind me...LOL NOPE. he just goes even faster and stays in the left lane till the very last second, swerves in front of me (probably less than 15feet from the construction zone/posted signs on the road) and ends up power drifting his mustang. Ended up running the red light too. Caught up to him at the next light and gave him a good **** you and went about my day.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
Immediately next to cars Nick Ienatsch calls that the "Death Zone". I try to stay out of that and blind spots. Glad you had an out.

You make me super nervous. Ride safe bro.
this all happened in a span of 15 seconds. the moment I saw the truck creep up on me, I had my eye on it. which is why I was able to react accordingly

Old November 9th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #7
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Lane position.

If riding beside someone can't be avoided, stay visible. Stay near the center line, make sure you aren't blending in to the cars on the side of the road. Make sure they know you are there. As they catch up to you, shift over to the other side. If he moves over, you now have a window of time to slow down to avoid a collision, or possibly just shift over a hair and straddle the line between the parked cars and the ass hat who just tried to kill you. The second option is only if you don't have time for the first, but it is better than being in the middle of the lane because it's easier to shift just a little bit than shift way over in a big hurry without over shooting it.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

If I have to ride beside a large vehicle or find myself in any vehicle's blind spot I slow down or speed up to align my front/rear tire with their bumper and watch like a hawk while covering the horn button. I also position myself for maximum visibility and try to get seen. I trend toward the farthest lane position so that I'm more likely in their field of view and farther away in case they try to move in my lane (more reaction time). I start watching traffic ahead and planning an escape route in case I need to lane-split (comes naturally after doing it legally so long in CA).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #9
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
If I have to ride beside a large vehicle or find myself in any vehicle's blind spot I slow down or speed up to align my front/rear tire with their bumper and watch like a hawk while covering the horn button.
I say unless you absolutely can't avoid it aligning your wheel with their bumper would be too close for comfort for me. I make a serious effort to be either completely clear ahead and behind so no part of their car aligns with any part of my bike.

I've seen enough riders get their wheel just slightly clipped and go down in my lifetime.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #10
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

thanks for the advice guys. i try to be fully aware of my surroundings when i ride.

Old November 9th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaone View Post
I say unless you absolutely can't avoid it aligning your wheel with their bumper would be too close for comfort for me. I make a serious effort to be either completely clear ahead and behind so no part of their car aligns with any part of my bike.

I've seen enough riders get their wheel just slightly clipped and go down in my lifetime.
That's exactly what I'm saying:
Rear wheel with their front bumper or front wheel with their rear bumper. It's helped numerous times.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote