ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

stop signs

People really need to learn the right of way. 3 times today a car jumps same time as me when i make a complete stop first and they barely stop. Had one guy not even stop on his cellphone making a left turn at a stop as i was rolling up...

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Exact same thing happened to me today and I had to grab a hand full of front brake to keep from hiting him. He was oblivious of the world jusr chating away on his cell phone.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #3
rusninja

I was in my car though :S its worse for you, But me wanting a motorcycle just upsets me even more how people drive. Im usually a defensive driver untill someone pulls something on me, like if they are coming at me ill get agressive and if they pull infront of me ill just cut back.

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

We have a no cellphone while driving law here now but you still see cagers driving and chatting on their phones all the time. It's just something about certain people with cellphones. They totally shut off the world in front of them. They'd be oblivious even if a dinosaur were to run across the street. Every so often, you hear/read about people who were chatting/texting away on the street and end up walking out into traffic and getting killed. We've become so engaged and distracted by our gadgets and technology that some people end up paying the ultimate price.

At stop signs, I don't proceed until the see the other car stop and make eye contact. If I see that anxious look in their eyes, I give up my right of way and waive them through because I know that turkey will be riding my ass from sign to sign anyways. On a motorcycle, you really have no right of way versus a distracted cager. Besides cagers, keep an eye out for pedestrians who think they can cross the street and assume that traffic will come to a halt just for them and crazy cyclists who don't obey traffic signs and just blow pass them.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #5
rusninja

I usually ignore my cell but if i really need to check/use i pull over where safe. And i have people always j walking in front of me so i stop not like im going to run them over, But if i see a pedestrian close i usually let them cross before i go.

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

For sure, pedestrians always have the right of way. It's the ones that jump onto the middle of street and think they can part the Red Sea of traffic that are the dangerous ones. People jumping out onto traffic behind obstacles that make them hidden are also a hazard.

We were once in a car driving along and had to slam on the the brakes to avoid running over three highschool/middle school girls who were giggling away with each other not paying attention to traffic. They jumped out behind a park truck/SUV. They were barely taller than the hood, no way anyone driving could have seen them. From the looks on their faces, they weren't even thinking about checking the traffic. We had our mouths wide open at how close we were at running them over while they continued to giggle along across the street. I believe they were busy laughing over a text message on one of the girl's phone. They were that close to being a newspaper headline.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #7
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
At stop signs, I don't proceed until the see the other car stop and make eye contact. If I see that anxious look in their eyes, I give up my right of way and waive them through because I know that turkey will be riding my ass from sign to sign anyways. On a motorcycle, you really have no right of way versus a distracted cager. Besides cagers, keep an eye out for pedestrians who think they can cross the street and assume that traffic will come to a halt just for them and crazy cyclists who don't obey traffic signs and just blow pass them.
This made think of times when I'm on my bike and wave a person on and have to worry about the cager behind me who's trying to make me a hood ornament thinking they were going to run the stop sign and "didn't notice" me.

I agree that pedestrians are bad too. I wonder if some think that bikes can stop on a dime? Or is it just another "being invisible" problem?
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #8
rusninja

Once i was driving down a hill there was a guy texting he wasnt looking, he steps out into the street about 100 ft away so i get angry i mean this guy just walks out not even looking if anyone is coming and not even at a crosswalk.

So i slow down come to a stop and once he clears my side of the road i hit the gas because i have a ford focus not much power but i put a short ram intake on it and he jumped and i laughed at him said next time look atleast before you cross.

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I also hate when you wave someone through, then they wave you through, and so you try to wave them through again, and they wave you through again, and this continues ad nauseam until someone goes... and almost gets hit by the very same person who waved them through.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
rusninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
I also hate when you wave someone through, then they wave you through, and so you try to wave them through again, and they wave you through again, and this continues ad nauseam until someone goes... and almost gets hit by the very same person who waved them through.
nope whats worse is when that happen you wave, they wave, you wave, they go, then you go then someone who just got there cuts in front of you. That drives me crazy I usually wave people through if i see they made it first and they wave me through.

Old June 14th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I know in Alabama if two vehicles come to a stop at the same time at a 4 way stop, the vehicle to the right has the right away, Its pretty simple, if the other vehicle is to the left I go first, if the other vehicle is to the right, they go first. Nobody seems to have read the driver handbook though, so it usually turns into a waving contest; If a douchesaurus rex is involved, they usually blow through the stop sign, asserting their dominance on the road.

I got to the point now, where if I see someone approaching a stop sign at the same time as me, I will slow down, just so I can make sure the other party knows they got there first, so there is no confusion and I arrive at my destination in unharmed and without hassle.

I am more than willing to make minor concessions in my day to day life to make life easier for me, and everyone I share Earth with, why can't everybody get onboard. Its called compromise, and it makes life easier for everyone.

Old June 14th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
People really need to learn the right of way. 3 times today a car jumps same time as me when i make a complete stop first and they barely stop. Had one guy not even stop on his cellphone making a left turn at a stop as i was rolling up...
You live in California and make full stops at stop signs? Haven't you ever heard of the California Stop?

In Cali, you don't have to make a complete stop at any stop sign with a white border. It's the law, follow it
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #13
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You live in California and make full stops at stop signs? Haven't you ever heard of the California Stop?

In Cali, you don't have to make a complete stop at any stop sign with a white border. It's the law, follow it
And if you're on a cell phone you dont even need to look because it has a new feature that'll provide a 10feet shield bubble around you. Pedestrians, drives me crazy. Just because pedestrians have the right of way doesnt mean you wont get hit. Go to any asian country and you'll be dodging cars, scooters, motorcycles, bicycles, etc.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #14
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I thought stop sign meant everyone will stop for you to go through.

Huh.

Something new everyday.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #15
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:

That's funny, the ones with a white border are optional in NY too! Stoptional, I call them.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #16
rusninja

Iv heard pull the stupid car accident causing californian out of the car and give them a good beating for putting people in danger. :S

Old June 15th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #17
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post

I got to the point now, where if I see someone approaching a stop sign at the same time as me, I will slow down, just so I can make sure the other party knows they got there first, so there is no confusion and I arrive at my destination in unharmed and without hassle.
That's what I do.

Still turns in to a "I'm a nicer human by waving you through" fiasco.

Old June 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #18
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:

Please show me the CA vehicle code that exempts a person from stopping at a stop sign with a white border. The white border is a reflective strip to get your attention. If they wanted to give you the option of stopping, it would be a Yield sign, not a Stop sign.

Ruslan, I can understand your frustrations with other drivers, but you need to get your anger under control. Driving/ Riding & being emotional don't mix well.

Old June 15th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #19
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Please show me the CA vehicle code that exempts a person from stopping at a stop sign with a white border. The white border is a reflective strip to get your attention. If they wanted to give you the option of stopping, it would be a Yield sign, not a Stop sign.
I think it was supposed to be a joke because all stop signs have white borders.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #20
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_syn View Post
Bingo!!! It's a very old joke that a stop sign with a white border is optional because ALL stop signs have the white border.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #21
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_syn View Post
Sometimes it's hard to know if the person is being serious or not. I've seen some people do some whacked out things before because they believed it to be true. Adding a smiley helps us to know if you're joking or not

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #22
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
I know in Alabama if two vehicles come to a stop at the same time at a 4 way stop, the vehicle to the right has the right away, Its pretty simple, if the other vehicle is to the left I go first, if the other vehicle is to the right, they go first. Nobody seems to have read the driver handbook though, so it usually turns into a waving contest; If a douchesaurus rex is involved, they usually blow through the stop sign, asserting their dominance on the road.
I thought it was that way everywhere...? Most people dont know there left from right, so I guess thats where it falls apart.
I hate when your a ways away from the stop, the other person stops and sits there.....I come to a stop, then they go and I have to wait on them. If they would of freaking went right off, I wouldnt have to sit and wait on them.
Thats like 3 seconds outta my life, wasted on some dumb ass
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #23
CynicalC

Quote:
Adding a smiley helps us to know if you're joking or not
It's more fun when they don't know. spray_trollface_copy.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Bingo!!! It's a very old joke that a stop sign with a white border is optional because ALL stop signs have the white border.
Wait so you mean they're all optional? I'm confused.

Old June 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #24
rusninja

Quote:
Ruslan, I can understand your frustrations with other drivers, but you need to get your anger under control. Driving/ Riding & being emotional don't mix well.
I know but i have a really short temper so its harder, But i try to be nice most of the time. :S But people who see my angry side are the ones that deserve it. x]

Old June 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #25
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
People really need to learn the right of way. 3 times today a car jumps same time as me when i make a complete stop first and they barely stop.
Being "in the right" isn't gonna mean **** when you're the one laying on the ground after a collision. People are ****** drivers. On a bike, you just have to be more defensive.

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #26
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
I thought it was that way everywhere...?
I think it might be, but I just stated it was the case in AL because the only place I've read that rule was in the Alabama Driver's Handbook. Thats about the only thing I've ever read concerning traffic laws.

Old June 16th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #27
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

The general public annoys me. They tend to be rather stupid. That is all.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #28
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
The general public annoys me. They tend to be rather stupid. That is all.
Everyone does stupid things and it's always someone else who sees it and says the same thing you did

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #29
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Everyone does stupid things and it's always someone else who sees it and says the same thing you did
I know, everyone thinks that they are the smartest one out there...but at least you won't find me talking on the cell phone with a cup of coffee in one hand and putting makeup on with the other/holding a hamburger. That is stupid, and nobody can argue with that.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I know, everyone thinks that they are the smartest one out there...but at least you won't find me talking on the cell phone with a cup of coffee in one hand and putting makeup on with the other/holding a hamburger. That is stupid, and nobody can argue with that.
I would hope to never catch you putting make up on, where ever you may be

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #31
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Stupid is as stupid does.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #32
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

"There's something strange about that 'Sop' sign... "

Old June 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #33
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I recently got run down in a Super Market by a trminally obese woman driving an electric scooter. She was yakking on her phone, crashed into my cart, and kept on going, yakking away. It was absolutely hilarious. A group of us in the aisle absolutely cracked up.

Old June 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #34
rusninja

lol XD! ^^

Old June 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #35
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Stop signs mean "yield" around here to drivers. Yield signs are just for decoration and serve no purpose.

In my business complex there is a 4 way stop between the 4 sections of warehouses. No one stops, they just coast through. Being concerned for my safety since I've nearly been run over there several times going to and from work, I reported it to the local police. A few days later a motorcycle officer was stationed in one of the parking lots overlooking the 4 way stop. I've never seen so many tickets given out in my life (my office overlooks the intersection, lol). Every 5 minutes (literally) he peeled out of the parking lot pulling someone over for failing to yield. That guy must of made quota for the year for the week he was there..

But yeah. The deer in headlights look of people who approach a 2, 3, or *gasp* 4 way stop, makes me wonder sometimes. It's not that hard .. is it?
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #36
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
Stop signs mean "yield" around here to drivers. Yield signs are just for decoration and serve no purpose.
In reality, America has it backwards. There are way too many stop signs and not enough yield signs.

A lot of studies have been done showing the average stop sign waste over $200,000 a year due to wasted time / gas / engine wear / etc.