ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #41
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

If you want a fun driving experience stick with a Honda or BMW. A Toyota just won't give you that. The way they design their cars is more towards luxury than performance. Hondas really are the best of everything when it comes down to it (except fwd... ick). Both the BMW and Honda will go through tires faster due to their suspension geometry (read camber) though. With the BMW having the best handling and most extreme geometry of those choices.

It depends on what you really want. If you want economical then get a Toyota. If you want sporty then get a BMW. If you want everything, get a Honda. I've owned all three and they are all great. In fact you can't really buy a bad car nowadays. The choice is with you. :-)

Old July 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #42
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Ok, I'm on vacay visiting family / friends and discover that a friend has an 02 celica. He let me look it over and drive it around for a while since I'm considering buying one. I found it to be very cramped and low to the ground with a seemingly pocket sized back seat. The car handled great and the drivers seat hugged me and was very comfortable but the center console was way too close and I thought the dash looked a bit odd. Also, the Windows are very high above the seat making it uncomfortable, even for a tall guy like me, to rest my arm on the window. All in all the car looks cool and handles great though I'm not sure if It's plausable for me to buy one.

On another note, my cousin has had his 02 accord for 5 years and told me he's never had a single problem with it (knock on wood). I've always liked his accord too; it handles well, has a very pleasent and comfortable interior, gets decent gas mileage and looks great for a 4 door. I'm starting to lean more towards an accord now considering it has an evenly spaced interior with the ergonomics I'm looking for in a car.

P.s. New Jersey roads around here really suck for riding my motorcycle. constant 30mph stop and go traffic is nothing like the 45mph backroads of Virginia.

Old July 13th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #43
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I found this 00' Celica GT for sale about an hour away at a dealer.

specs:

- 5 speed manual trans.
- 127k miles
- approximately $5,500 otd
- Lambo doors (which look cool but idk how easily I could get in and out w/ them)
- aftermarket fiberglass hood w/ scoop
- aftermarket tail lights

Obviously I could only afford to make a down payment on this car and pay monthly installments. I might consider doing such a thing as a way of building up a line of credit history since I have none; I just prefer to pay cash for everything I buy. I could also just wait a while and save up enough $$$ to buy a $5,000 car in cash.

One other option is, once winter rolls around, I could sell my ninjette for a decent price, I figure around $3,000 or so, since I won't be needing it for the snowy months. After pondering that thought for a few minutes I slapped myself in the face for having such an idiotic idea.
That car have not been sold yet??? wow... my friend looked into buying that 00 celi and decided it wasn't worth the money, he said you got tons of stuff that needed to be fixed, so he didn't get it. also he looked at it last year around october. (That's a bad sign right there)

Old January 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #44
Live2ride

Update:

Looking at the following cars:

-98-02 accord 4 dr manual: my cousin has one, it's very comfortable and he's never had a problem it. It's far from a sports car but I'd be plenty happy with one.

-Chrysler crossfire: love the looks, drives nice and get's around 30mpg highway.

-rx8: seats 4, looks good, gets piss poor gas mileage from it's rotary engine (16-20mpg average)

-350z: seems to be the best of all worlds, looks good, performs the best of the cars listed, but has very limited space. The trunk is really small but it also gets around 30mpg highway.

-02+ dodge ram 1500: nice looking truck, could haul my bike, get's me through the snow. Of course the gas mileage would be worse considering it's a truck.

Obviously my budget has changed for the better; does anyone own one of these cars that can give an unbiased review?

Old January 30th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #45
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
My family has owned many Honda Accords and Civics in the last 20 years. We're on our 3rd Civic since I was born, and they had a accord the year I was born, and a couple before my time.

I can honestly say that you'll never go wrong with an Accord. Reliable as crap and they have plenty of room for you and your family. I know they aren't the most stylish or sporty car out there. Heck, they're pretty far up there on the vanilla scale, but they're always a good option

Old January 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #46
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

It may take some additional searching & digging, but here's a warning from someone who has some experience with cars that have timing belts (94 Eclipse). The price range you're looking in will involve a lot of high-mileage cars, and if they have timing belts, you could be investing in a time bomb.

Be prepared to replace it yourself, or be able to verify with receipts that the seller had it done recently. Interference engines, which could potentially appear in a lot of the cars you're interested in, basically self-destruct when the belt breaks. We're talking $1500 - $2000 worth of head work. That blows the value of the cars in your price range right out of the water.

Jiggles' suggestion about the Maxima is an EXCELLENT one. The 3.0 & 3.5 Nissan V6s are basically indestructible with minimal maintenance - the cams are chain driven. The 2000+ Sentras also have chain driven cams (I traded my Eclipse on a 2000 Sentra 1.8).

Do some research on the cars you're looking at to see which valvetrain they have. I know the Hondas are all belt-driven...not sure about the Celicas, Subarus, etc. Save yourself that aggravation and expense.

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #47
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Toyota Corolla.

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #48
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i would just get a civic if i were you.

if you need an suv then get a jeep cherokee 4.0l

for a small truck just get a toyota pickup with the 4cyl, just watch out for rust

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #49
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
My family has owned many Honda Accords and Civics in the last 20 years. We're on our 3rd Civic since I was born, and they had a accord the year I was born, and a couple before my time.

I can honestly say that you'll never go wrong with an Accord. Reliable as crap and they have plenty of room for you and your family. I know they aren't the most stylish or sporty car out there. Heck, they're pretty far up there on the vanilla scale, but they're always a good option
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Toyota Corolla.
I have been considering one of the newer model corolla's as well, a coworker of mine bought one, but it's not on the top of my list yet.

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #50
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
It may take some additional searching & digging, but here's a warning from someone who has some experience with cars that have timing belts (94 Eclipse). The price range you're looking in will involve a lot of high-mileage cars, and if they have timing belts, you could be investing in a time bomb.

Be prepared to replace it yourself, or be able to verify with receipts that the seller had it done recently. Interference engines, which could potentially appear in a lot of the cars you're interested in, basically self-destruct when the belt breaks. We're talking $1500 - $2000 worth of head work. That blows the value of the cars in your price range right out of the water.

Jiggles' suggestion about the Maxima is an EXCELLENT one. The 3.0 & 3.5 Nissan V6s are basically indestructible with minimal maintenance - the cams are chain driven. The 2000+ Sentras also have chain driven cams (I traded my Eclipse on a 2000 Sentra 1.8).

Do some research on the cars you're looking at to see which valvetrain they have. I know the Hondas are all belt-driven...not sure about the Celicas, Subarus, etc. Save yourself that aggravation and expense.
I won't be getting an eclipse, after research a while ago I've discovered that they are pieces of crap and unreliable. The updated list of cars are currently the only vehicles I'm considering buying and i stated that my price range has increased. I'm looking for cars preferably below $9k. I'm not interested in an old maxima, sentra, or civic.

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #51
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I dont think you can get a new one for what you want to pay. I have on i picked up for a grand. it runs, has a sun roof, and is in decent shape. Im cool with it.

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #52
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
cody, just buy a beat up toyota tundra

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #53
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
cody, just buy a beat up toyota tundra

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #54
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Honda civic or accord. You will not go wrong with either of them. Tons of readily available parts if something goes wrong, and the cost of maintaining them is quite low. Just do the recommended scheduled maintenance and depending on where you live, you should be able to put at LEAST 150,000km (93,205 mi) on it, assuming you bought it with 150,000km on the odometer already. I know in Canada, its possible (with pretty bad winters). I have a friend who bought a 93' civic with 100,000km on it and its now over 300,000km (186,000 mi).

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #55
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Dude on civics you don't even have to do the maintenance to get high mileage. Even in an area of the country that is insanely hard on cars (ie snow and salt and rain and cold) my '95 civic that we bought in '94 got 198,000 miles on the original clutch. We did the regular maintenance up to like 100,000 miles when my mom got a new car, then we literally only changed oil and tires. The car did just fine

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #56
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Quote:
Dude on civics you don't even have to do the maintenance to get high mileage. Even in an area of the country that is insanely hard on cars (ie snow and salt and rain and cold) my '95 civic that we bought in '94 got 198,000 miles on the original clutch. We did the regular maintenance up to like 100,000 miles when my mom got a new car, then we literally only changed oil and tires. The car did just fine
And there we have it =)

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #57
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Oh my so much rice in this thread...

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #58
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
my old cars

that was pre smoked headlights and taillights.

lulz

My last car

I lu da rice

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #59
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Nobody said anything about modding the civic, lol!

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #60
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Someone mentioned performance (positive, not lack of) and civic in the same sentence though. Also that Celica is superlol.

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #61
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

sorry to thread jack OP

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #62
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I would just ride the ninja until you can save up enough to spend at least 4k. my buddy did what you are talking about and quickly got into thousands of dollars worth fo debt because of all the work needed.

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #63
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrm View Post
I would just ride the ninja until you can save up enough to spend at least 4k. my buddy did what you are talking about and quickly got into thousands of dollars worth fo debt because of all the work needed.
my friend JUST did that. He keeps calling me freaking out. He bought a POS accord for 1700...

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #64
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
I think that's a lancer and eclipse.
mine?

close

lancer was correct. NA

Eclipse wrong 3000GT VR4 boostin 15 lbs. about 360ish HP

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #65
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I think we all my have different definitions of rice as well..

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #66
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

And to stay on-topic:

I'd recommend:
E36 328i convertible/coupe/touring. Stay away from 318 (or any BMW 3-series 1.x liters, and I'd recommend to start straying away from E30s, as they're getting up there in years and will start to have the common electrical/mechanical problems).

You can also start getting E38 (7-series) BMWs affordably. Lots of luxury and such. Just be wary of common electrical problems.

Any of the Volvo tri-digit models (740, 850, etc), and since you've already said you want something turbo, some of them are turbo.

If you just want a boring, reliable econobox, go ahead and get a Civic. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it until you start adding "performance" and ugly cosmetic crap.

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #67
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

for 2500 his options are pretty limited...

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #68
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Quote:
I think we all my have different definitions of rice as well..
Flamboyant body kit and large spoiler on an economy car is generally considered to be rice. Along with excessive camber, lowering, and offset of the wheels.

Quote:
for 2500 his options are pretty limited...
Didn't he say earlier on this page he wanted to stay under 9k?

Old January 30th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #69
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Flamboyant body kit and large spoiler on an economy car is generally considered to be rice. Along with excessive camber, lowering, and offset of the wheels.

Didn't he say earlier on this page he wanted to stay under 9k?
sometimes.

nope $2500

Old January 30th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #70
Live2ride

Quote:
sometimes.

nope $2500
I said under $9k preferably in my bump post. the $2500 limit was a while ago after i bought the zx6r, I've since sold it and made more money.

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #71
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

wtf is everyone looking at ****** Hondas for then?

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #72
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Because Hondas aren't ******. What happens to them when under the care of boy racers and fnf wannabes is ******. My friend drives a honda, and it has 200k+ iirc, and doesn't look like it going to crap out.

Hondas are more for the cartarded, rather than people who enjoy driving.

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #73
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Because Hondas aren't ******. What happens to them when under the care of boy racers and fnf wannabes is ******. My friend drives a honda, and it has 200k+ iirc, and doesn't look like it going to crap out.

Hondas are more for the cartarded, rather than people who enjoy driving.
-__-

Everyone was talking about ****** civics with 100000 miles on them...

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #74
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
HEY!! my civic wasn't ******! She was a classy lady!

...theeeeen she rusted out and we sent her to the junk yard

ok kinda ****** i guess, but it was a great car.

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:39 PM   #75
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

lulz well if this dude has got 9k to spend there are a lot better suggestions.

OP you want Economy or something fun or a mix? FWD, RWD, or AWD?

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #76
Live2ride

Quote:
lulz well if this dude has got 9k to spend there are a lot better suggestions.

OP you want Economy or something fun or a mix? FWD, RWD, or AWD?
I want a mix, preferably rwd or awd. The Audi's in my price range are older, hence the reason I didn't list them, I would like a nice Audi though . The 350z and crossfire both get decent gas mileage at about 30mpg. The 350z has more power and, from what I understand, a roomier interior than the crossfire. I've also been looking at lancers if anyone has input on them.

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #77
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Lancers are fwd.

I've also got the perfect car for you. You have to hear me out though. Open your mind.

Mazda Miata.

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM   #78
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Mazda Miata.

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:02 PM   #79
Live2ride

Quote:
Lancers are fwd.

I've also got the perfect car for you. You have to hear me out though. Open your mind.

Mazda Miata.
I'm 6'2"..........

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:02 PM   #80
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Quote:
I hope that's not sarcastic.

Closed Thread