ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 21st, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

A friend's brother went down

A month and a half ago a friends brother went down, and it was bad. This is from her facebook post and I am sharing because her brother was not wearing any gear at all. He was lucky to come out alive.

For those who don't believe in miracles: I have a story for you. Seven weeks ago today we got the most horrific news that my brother had been in a critical motorcycle accident the night before. We would soon learn that he sustained a shattered heel, a broken foot, massive road rash over 80 percent of his body, a busted chin, a broken neck in two places, four brain contusions, and an epidural hemotoma on the brain requiring a craneotomy (removal of the skull to let blood drain off of the brain/tramatic brain injury). As we rushed to the ICU as soon as we could get there (Mom was about 90 miles away heading out of town for a planned trip) we would soon learn that Mike was critical and in a coma on the ventilator keeping him alive. After four days of this nightmare he slowly came off of the vent and was breathing on his own! Then two days later he was fully conscious and starting to "come to" per say. After spending 13 days in the ICU he was then transported to Spalding Rehab. for in-patient rehabilitation for both physical as well as brain injuries. After 16 days of in-patient rehab he was then released to go home to coninue care through out-patient rehab. He is now living at home once again (by himself might I add!), and was released to drive once again this past Tuesday. After he completes next Friday he will have spent three weeks in out patient rehabilitation. He is then released to go back to work! Yes my friends - that means that Mike has nearly made a full recovery in only 7 weeks! He has proven every medical doctor, surgeon, and therapist that he CAN and IS beating all odds! All prayers, intentions, good deeds, and words of kindness have and continue to help pull my hero through this. I have learned more in my life over these past 7 weeks than I could have ever fathomed. I have learned just how strong Mike really is. I have learned how much family and friends really mean. I have learned how much I love Mike. I have learned that I am and always will be
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Kudos to your friend !!!

Young bodies and brains are strong and resilient.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM   #3
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Glad to hear he is recovering, but this is just one more case to wear all the gear or don't ride.

Old July 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Do you know how he went down?
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 05:08 PM   #5
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Do you know how he went down?
A pick up truck pulled out in front of him as he was going about 55 down street, he had no chance to even touch the brakes, t-boned truck at full speed.

Old July 21st, 2013, 05:37 PM   #6
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Holy **** that's terrible. What a nightmare. Good thing the friend is still alive.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 05:40 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
not to be debbie downer but sounds like this kid has a long road a head of him, with that much TBI (traumatic brain injury) his brain will take months maybe years until it is done under going changes and who knows what kind of wires are getting crossed up along the way.

don't understand how people can get on a bike with out a helmet and even worse let their loved ones ride 2 up with them with out one as well.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I have seen TBI ruin a lot of my friends, one o them slapping the first sgt in the head with a stapler was kinda funny though. Best wishes

Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #9
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I have seen TBI ruin a lot of my friends, one o them slapping the first sgt in the head with a stapler was kinda funny though. Best wishes
That would have been a kodak moment.

Had a friend fall 4 stories off a parking garage wall when he was drunk. They took out half his brain. He just sits there and drools now. After seeing that I am putting in my will to just pull the plug on me. Pretty lame that his family didn't just let him go instead of being selfish of their own needs and emotions. They knew he would be a vegetable for ever after taking out half his brain.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Wait, am I reading this right... the guy in the OP didn't wear the helmet??
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #11
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Wait, am I reading this right... the guy in the OP didn't wear the helmet??
op?

Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
op?
Original post(er)... OP

It was pretty wicked... I wasn't jumping on stapler guy, and I didn't want stapled so I cleared out pretty quick, was def nuts.
Yea I def wouldn't wanna veg around and have my whole family have to pay for it

Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM   #13
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

yes, no helmet in OP. shorts and t-shirt, that was all. he is beyond lucky that he came out of it the way he did.