ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old November 26th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
dirtbike crash (warning: graphic pics)

ate **** going down hill on an xr200. trail was rocky/leafy. think I got too much momentum, brakes didnt work, hit a rock and flipped sideways or something. landed screaming and then slowly couldn't hear and then couldn't see and then blacked out. paramedics took 20 mins to get there as we were a quarter mile in from the road just off some train tracks. had to shut down CSX railway for 30 mins (they were legal trails though). they called it in as a tibia/fibula fracture and gave me 2 doses of morphine on the way to the ER. long story short, I was at the hospital for about 4 hrs and they did a bunch of x rays and scans. nothing broken! nasty puncture wound and all the muscles in my right leg seem to be mashed potatoes and completely locked and torn up but no bone/tendon injury thank god. they gave me more morphine and ativan at the hospital because I was freaking out and in so much pain (how, when it wasnt broken??? I have a high tolerance)... I had good people to help me.. it was still terrifying. I was being slow and started that hill from 0mph on a day that was (of course) supposed to be chill wandering through the woods on some slow little hondas. heres some cool pics. got some crutches and tylenol 3, supposed to drive back to pittsburgh tomorrow from DC, we'll see how it goes. EMT teams are great. ER team I wasn't impressed with. putting the dirtbikes up for a few months, had one too many semi-serious wrecks this year what with the separated shoulder in july. was wearing the whole dirtbike get up including tech 3 alpinestars mx boots. they prob saved my leg from being snapped or worse. wear your geeeeeear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3610.jpg (88.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3608.jpg (85.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3589.jpg (49.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3587.jpg (59.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3568.jpg (35.8 KB, 15 views)
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old November 26th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Ouch! Wear your gear, for sure. I'm glad you didn't break anything- muscle heals relatively quickly. Feel better!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2016, 11:00 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
:\

Glad you're good, speedy healing and best to you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #4
shift957
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): R6, SV 650, 300, 250, 250 xc-w

Ugh, puncture wounds suck! Feel better soon.
shift957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Thank goodness you had a helmet on.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:52 AM   #6
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Gnarly wound.

Did I get this right? A train sat at a train crossing for you?! There's a Chuck Norris joke somewhere in there...
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 04:59 AM   #7
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Glad you're OK! On the plus side, that's a pretty cool head scan.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 05:33 AM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Glad it wasn't more serious. Good call on taking a break from the dirt bikes. Sometimes it's what you really need. Also, I don't think anyone blames you for thinking it could be broken based on the pain. Reasonably big puncture + poking your muscly bits under the skin = hurts like hell. Heck, if I take my finger and jam it into the same spot on me hard enough, it starts to hurt a lot.

Could a more qualified armchair doctor than I explain what that glowy bit behind her ears in the open-ish part of Katie's cranium is? It's right above the beginning (end?) of the spine and to the right.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #9
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Could a more qualified armchair doctor than I explain what that glowy bit behind her ears in the open-ish part of Katie's cranium is? It's right above the beginning (end?) of the spine and to the right.
Pretty sure that's the implant the aliens insert. If you figure out how to interface with it, it allows you to control your bike with your mind.

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
..... I had good people to help me.. it was still terrifying.......
Very sorry about your accident, Katie.

Having some good people around is always calming.

Wish you a painless quick recovery.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #11
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26
Did I get this right? A train sat at a train crossing for you?! There's a Chuck Norris joke somewhere in there...
No they just had to make sure no trains came along while they were transporting me next to/on the tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom
Glad it wasn't more serious. Good call on taking a break from the dirt bikes. Sometimes it's what you really need. Also, I don't think anyone blames you for thinking it could be broken based on the pain. Reasonably big puncture + poking your muscly bits under the skin = hurts like hell. Heck, if I take my finger and jam it into the same spot on me hard enough, it starts to hurt a lot.

I think the brake pedal of the bike hit the bone but didn't break it. It's crazy. My brother stepped off the curb and broke his ankle and my cousin fell off a bouldering rock onto a mattress and fractured her fibula and I smash myself into the ground off a dirtbike and dont break nothin!!!

I have a cartilage earring which shows up on the Xray. I think I remember asking if I needed to take it out and they said no don't worry about it. And then they gave me Ativan and I was wondering whether i was breathing or not and if it was even necessary to breathe because it didn't seem like it was... ??? argh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha
Pretty sure that's the implant the aliens insert. If you figure out how to interface with it, it allows you to control your bike with your mind.
^^apparently it malfunctioned. Can I blame my crash on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool
Very sorry about your accident, Katie.

Having some good people around is always calming.

Wish you a painless quick recovery.
Thank you! I was with the best possible person to handle the situation for me - including detailed instructions to the EMT team about where we were, loading up both bikes and all the gear and not losing a single thing and being at the hospital before they would even let anyone back. All things considered I got lucky and am very very grateful

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #12
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Probably just one of them scary Obamacare RFID implants used to control your mind.

Old November 27th, 2016, 10:48 PM   #13
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/new...0b9c44cd0.html

Most of this information is flat out wrong... I didn't break my leg, no bones were sticking through my skin, I wasn't riding on CSX-owned land (it's privately owned) and we had received verbal permission to ride from someone involved in the club that manages the dirtbike-designated trails. Just another example of how the media gets it wrong. It also wasn't my bike lol. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will change some stuff to at least say we were riding on legal trails, not the tracks, and I didn't break my leg.

Old November 28th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Ah...dirt bikes...

Glad nothing was broken, but it still looks really painful. Good job on wearing all the gear. It could have turned out much worse if you hadden't had it.

Don't feel bad. Marquez crashed on the dirt before the start of the season and broke his leg. Nicky Hayden just crashed on the dirt last week and needed knee surgery.

Just part of the game. Heal up, and get back out there another day.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/new...0b9c44cd0.html

Most of this information is flat out wrong... I didn't break my leg, no bones were sticking through my skin, I wasn't riding on CSX-owned land (it's privately owned) and we had received verbal permission to ride from someone involved in the club that manages the dirtbike-designated trails. Just another example of how the media gets it wrong. It also wasn't my bike lol. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will change some stuff to at least say we were riding on legal trails, not the tracks, and I didn't break my leg.
Gotta love the media.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #16
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Yeah.. getting hurt on the dirt bike sucks big time when EMT, FD are involved.. but when you have to close down the railroad.. that's when media go bonkers with the story.

I'm surprised they let you keep you earrings on while taking the X-ray.
Drugs are your friend.. hope you a speedy recovery.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #17
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

The media is often wrong, often due to laziness, sometimes incompetence, and often for better ratings. I don't know if it's worth trying to get them to correct it, they didn't use any names, will locals be able to identify you from that article? If not, I'd probably just let it go, not worth the added aggravation. Concentrate on healing up!

Old November 28th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #18
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvk45
Don't feel bad. Marquez crashed on the dirt before the start of the season and broke his leg. Nicky Hayden just crashed on the dirt last week and needed knee surgery.
I'm ready to ride asap but my mother needs some time to recover lol. I know all moms worry but she goes well above and beyond her panic worry mode duty.

Old November 28th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #19
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Drugs are your friend.. hope you a speedy recovery.
I keep tryin to tell folks that, only person that listened was my cousin that hooked on the heroin; an I been tryin to tell him the opposite

Old November 28th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #20
CaliGrrl

Ah, yes, moms. Mine hasn't expressed much of an opinion about me riding, though I don't think she's thrilled. They mean well, they really do!

They seem to have written that piece with the information from the time of the crash, when it seemed like you had broken your leg, so I'm not surprised that's how it was reported. Follow-up is rare these days. Misinformation is sadly rampant.

Take it as a reminder not to believe everything the media reports.

Old November 28th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #21
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I'm glad to hear you are relatively well, and nothing's broken. I've been worried a few times! Worst was broken scapula, 20 miles from town, no cell service.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2016, 06:34 AM   #22
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Maybe switch mountain biking instead..
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2016, 11:29 AM   #23
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
It's been almost a week and my leg is not much better. The puncture wound is healing okay, slowly, but there seems to be a lot of damage to the muscle(s?) in my calf... Getting around is really difficult and making it to all of my classes is nearly impossible. And my dog is sick and I have final exams in the next two weeks. This is not an easy time

Old December 1st, 2016, 12:13 PM   #24
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
That sucks... hopefully its the "worse before it gets better" and you (and pup) will feel better soon.

Good luck with the exams!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2016, 09:49 PM   #25
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It's been almost a week and my leg is not much better. The puncture wound is healing okay, slowly, but there seems to be a lot of damage to the muscle(s?) in my calf... Getting around is really difficult and making it to all of my classes is nearly impossible. And my dog is sick and I have final exams in the next two weeks. This is not an easy time
Well it's said that bad things come in threes, so there's your three things, it can only get better now! Muscles take awhile to heal, you'll get better!

Old December 2nd, 2016, 10:41 AM   #26
CaliGrrl

Sorry your healing is a rough road! Then again, a week isn't a lot of time to heal up a serious muscle trauma. Give yourself some time.

**hugs** to you and your pup. Hang in there!

Old February 17th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #27
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Top pic is day 1 bottom pic is 4 weeks later. It's been another 7 weeks since the bottom pic and it still looks like that. The skin over the smashed muscle is still numb and its like weird to touch... still sore in a weird way. Meh. Haven't ridden since I wrecked except my 2 mile commute and back, a couple times a week. Lost interest in flat track racing totally (not that this injury was from racing).. I just don't want to get F'ed up like this again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16808750_10154302567101088_360682724_n.jpg (57.0 KB, 3 views)

Old February 18th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #28
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......The skin over the smashed muscle is still numb and its like weird to touch... still sore in a weird way.........
In my experience, with enough time (as much as two years), skin and nerves go back to a state as close as new.

A cut in one of my fingers affected some nerves enough to make me lose all sensitivity in that finger.
Doctors and myself believed that that was it, no improvement expected.
Slowly enough to be unnoticed, sensitivity, movement and appearance of the cut came back to 100%.

Hope that you feel much better very soon, Katie.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #29
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
In my experience, with enough time (as much as two years), skin and nerves go back to a state as close as new.
In 2015 I damaged my arm bad enough that my radial nerve was severed. No more feeling in my thumb and pointer finger after that. But the doctors told me that nerves grow back at 1mm per day. Today I have almost full feeling back in my thumb and have some back in my finger.

In 2014 I broke my collarbone bad enough to need surgery. Lost feeling in a part of my shoulder. Reading this post made me wonder about that old injury. I suddenly realize my feeling was fully back 100% and I never noticed it before!

Nerves just take a while but they come back.

Old February 25th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #30
CaliGrrl

I'm sorry you're healing more slowly than you'd hoped. Hang in there! Let me add to the chorus of nerves-taking-a-while-to-come back. I lost part of a fingertip pad, which reattached, but the nerves took a LOOOONG time to come back. I crashed in October, super minor, but the scrape on my knee felt numbish until fairly recently. So that's... four months? For an almost non-injury injury?

Old February 25th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #31
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
A cut in one of my fingers affected some nerves enough to make me lose all sensitivity in that finger.
Doctors and myself believed that that was it, no improvement expected.
Slowly enough to be unnoticed, sensitivity, movement and appearance of the cut came back to 100%.
I cut a big 'ol chunk of my thumb off once and couldn't feel anything on the left side of it for a long time. It's been 6 or so years, but it's just about back to 100%. The scar is barely noticable, too.

Old February 25th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #32
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Thanks for weighing in! I hope it will return to normal eventually, but luckily it's not in a spot that I really notice it. My leg is 100% functional so that's the most important thing to me.

Side note, I just bought an Arai helmet... Can't have my head going the way of my leg!

Old February 25th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #33
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Yeah, brains tend to stay broken once they're broken Good call.

Old February 25th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #34
CaliGrrl

Smart choice to get a good helmet. Don't go cheap.