ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:53 PM   #1
pb3
ninjette.org member

Name: parker

Motorcycle(s): 09 n250, 14 n300, 22 n400

surging when coasting, pod filter

Hi guys,

’09 250 w/ 13k miles. 1200 miles ago I dove in and installed an areap full system, their DJ stage 2 jet kit, and the K&N pod filter. blocked the kleen air too. Carbs synced & idle set. Valves were done at 7.3k miles. Wow what an improvement, all was perfect. Until a month ago when I began a 200 mile round trip.

Good mix of twistys and straights. Half way through i’m on fumes and filled up at a spot I frequent for ethanol free premium. (That’s all I’ve run for the past 5 years but not always this particular station.) About 8 miles from the station and as I’m rolling off the gas (coasting but settling from acceleration to cruising) to cruise at 65 I get this surging sensation like someone is working the throttle open and closed.

My mind didn’t go to bad gas immediately. The wind had come up considerably from the beginning of the ride and I contributed the surge to some wind turbulence going on with the K&N pod filter. However after all the searching, I’m just hoping someone else has resolved this issue.

I found the chain excess slack and adjusted. I’ve ridden another 200 miles since the fill up and it’s still there. always with wind (not always a head or side, but if it's going to happen it's when going through a gust), mid to high rpms. Always when off gas/ coasting, not accelerating or cruising.

tia,
parker
STL
pb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:41 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Check all vaccum lines going to coast-enricher. Actually, remove them all and pressure-test for leaks.

Disassemble the coast-enricher and verify centre port's tiny hole isn't clogged. Easy way to check is to attach longer hose and dunk it under water. Blow on other end and you should see plenty of bubbles. A single grain of sand getting in there can clog it.

Also check that spring-loaded diaphragm isn't ripped or leaking.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2018, 04:38 AM   #3
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
also remove the pitiful inline fuel filter and replace with a external “vw”style filter. the inline is usually hidden inside carb inlet fitting. it’s tiny.

Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:04 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb3 View Post
Hi guys,

Good mix of twistys and straights. Half way through i’m on fumes and filled up at a spot I frequent for ethanol free premium. (That’s all I’ve run for the past 5 years but not always this particular station.) About 8 miles from the station and as I’m rolling off the gas (coasting but settling from acceleration to cruising) to cruise at 65 I get this surging sensation like someone is working the throttle open and closed.

My mind didn’t go to bad gas immediately. The wind had come up considerably from the beginning of the ride and I contributed the surge to some wind turbulence going on with the K&N pod filter. However after all the searching, I’m just hoping someone else has resolved this issue.

I found the chain excess slack and adjusted. I’ve ridden another 200 miles since the fill up and it’s still there. always with wind (not always a head or side, but if it's going to happen it's when going through a gust), mid to high rpms. Always when off gas/ coasting, not accelerating or cruising.

tia,
parker
STL
I think the wind might be the cause. A CV carb uses airflow and vacuum to lift the slides, and the pod filters may be allowing wind (pressure) to briefly lift them just enough to give you a surging effect when the throttle is closing or is closed.

You could also have some condensation or debris in the tank that was been stirred-up and made its way into the carbs. Drain the floatbowls and see what the gas looks like.

Run 87 octane ethanol-free, instead of Premium, if it's available.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:04 AM   #5
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
try putting your airbox intake manifold onto carbs and pods mounted to backside. this could help.