ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 7th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Jwigs78
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 Buell XB12STT

Exclamation 06 250 heeeelp!

Ok...I picked up a 2006 ninja 250 that has been sitting for 7 YEARS!! I pulled the carbs, disassembled them and soaked them for a couple days. Ran compressed air through the channels in the carb bodies and replaced the jets. Basically I cleaned the hell out of these things! When putting them back together I adjusted the idle air/fuel mixture screw to 2 1/2 turns out and set the floats to 17mm. For stock jets that's is the recommended setting (so I read). Now...everything is out back together and the bike was running well but all of a sudden the tube that runs to the bottom of the bike from the carbs is pouring fuel out and the bike is flooding out. I'm at a loss. I don't know what else to try. I replaced the plugs and checked the coils for spark and they are ok. I have noticed that if I turn the gas off at the petcock while it's running it doesn't flood out but I turn the gas on and within 30 seconds the bike floods out and gas pours onto the ground from that (evacuation?) tube. Please help! Haha! I'm mechanically inclined but not an expert. I could use some help so I'm not dropping this thing off at a shop to spend too much money that I don't have. Thanks!
Jwigs78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #2
hessaciah
ninjette.org newbie

Name: not just yet

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I think you're referring to the carb overflow tube--it's designed to drain gas when the fuel level in the carb gets too high--this helps prevent dumping gas into your combustion chamber and making its way into the crankcase.

If your carb overflow tube is dumping gas, you might have an issue with your floats (cracked floats will let in gas and not float), your float needle, the needle seat (where it sits), or crud caught between any of these.

The tip of the float needle should be triangular/conical; if it wears too much, it may not seal correctly, in which case it'll show a concave taper. If your bike is old/unused, you may also be dumping rust from the tank into the carbs, with the rust preventing a good seal--it may be worth adding a cheap filter to the gas line. If this is the case, you'll be able to see rust particles in the bottom of the carb.

More info here: http://i.imgur.com/O0rnW.png

youtube video describing similar problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxX232tCAVo

good float needle showing no taper: http://patternparts.net/content/imag...50j8f_415.jpeg

You may have already done this, and if the bike runs ok it may not be necessary, but:

To clean the carbs thoroughly, you definitely want to use more than compressed air, even if they've been soaking for a while. You can take a look at the guides here, but you may want to use carb cleaner, hit the passages with a thin copper wire or toothpick, and make sure to hit the pilot circuit and transition outlet (see link below--they're super easy to overlook)

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_the_carbs%3F
hessaciah is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
After seven years of sitting did you replace the float needle? New O-rings?

Sounds like the needles are shot, I would advise PM @ducatiman for any and all carb needs.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Adding to the above, a float needle can get stuck for other reasons too. I've had them wear a dent in the finger that pushes on them, and carefully filing away the dent cures the problem. If you take the bowl(s) off and look carefully, the cause of the problem may become obvious. Luckily you don't have to do a major disassembly to get to that part.

And as said above, it takes only a little, hardly noticeable ring worn in a needle to make it misbehave.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #5
Jwigs78
ninjette.org newbie

Hey thanks for the info! I'll start by answering some of your suggestions. So...yes I have replaced all jets mixture screws and float needles. I have also junked the old fuel tank because it was horribly rusted. I found a guy parting out a bike on Craigslist and picked up his tank. I did realize after reading a few other threads that when I put the bike back together it was low on gas so I turned the petcock to reserve and most likely ran some sediment into the line and thus into the carbs. I picked up a small filter for the fuel line yesterday and today will be tearing her apart AGAIN to clean out the carbs and see if she runs afterwards. I appreciate all the input and will let you guys know how it goes.

THANKS AGAIN
Jwigs

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #6
Jwigs78
ninjette.org newbie

Well...I tore apart the carbs and the jets were all clogged. I think I just picked up some sediment from the bottom of the gas tank. I put a fuel filter in the line. It still needs some tuning but it's running without flooding out so that's a plus. Thanks for the help

Old April 9th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Good, I'm glad you're making progress.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Yarr
ninjette.org member

Name: Hal

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

There's a possibility that this is happening with mine too. I bought the bike a month ago and checked the air filter a couple days ago, the filter and plastic parts were shoved to the back of the airbox instead of the front lol..

A bit of fuel-smelling liquid was pooled at the bottom of the airbox and I texted the old owner and he knows nothing about it of course. I sort of assumed it was pushed out of the way to keep it from getting saturated with gasoline if the carb is overflowing into the airbox.

There does appear to be a clear hose coming from the back of the carburetor to the bottom of the bike without a stopper in it, is that overflow?
Yarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2018, 09:55 AM   #9
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
here is an image to help

and this one shows were it should be routed
taz is offline   Reply With Quote