ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 1st, 2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Chasekito
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250

Spark plug problem. Tried everything I can think of.

Hello everyone, first post but been reading forums for a couple weeks now. Got my first bike a couple weeks ago but have rode my buddies bikes here and there.
Little background - my buddy who loves flipping anything and everything calls me one day saying he bought a 08 ninja 250 that wasn’t running but had a friend with him who swore he could get the bike going. They couldn’t figure it out and he was frustrated it and knowing I have always wanted a bike asked if I would like to buy it. Being a little mechanically inclines I stopped by and before I get out of the car I see the first problem. His “friend” who weighed about a buck 20 and looked like he had been up for a month was bouncing around. I get out and very kindly tell him to stay away from it. The bike had no electrical power, had been wrecked and looked like 6 tweakers had there way with it. Feeling bad for my friend and me knowing about electrical I decided to buy it off of him feeling I could get the bike at least somewhat ridable. I also always wanted a street bike and it only having 9k miles on it I took a chance.
I first looked at the fuses. The 30 amp fuse was blown. Replaced it and now have power. (This is going to be easier than I thought) tried to start the bike and blew the 10 amp ignition fuse. A lot of the wiring was taped with electrical so I started following the wiring and found ground wires cut and not going to anything. I then grounded them, Replaced fuse and blew it again. Cut off all electrical tape exposing all wiring and seen the green wire going to right side ignition coil. It also had a pigtail ground wire going to the frame. Took it off and replaced fuse. The fuse didn’t blow and the engine turned over but no spark. Replaced ignition coils, spark plugs, plug wires, cleaned carburetors, replaced old gas. Tried starting the bike and as soon as I released the starter button it fired up. Thought that was weird but it was now idling. Drove it up the block and back. No problems at all. Quick response to throttle and nice power ( never driving a 250 and only ever ridden 600s it was slow for me topping out around 90 mph. But I finally had a street bike. Put around 100 miles on it. One morning I woke up drove it up my hill from my house and went about 1 mile. The tachometer started jumping and it felt like it wasn’t getting gas. Turned around putted up hill only going 30 mph. Since that’s all it would go. If I gave it too much throttle it would bog down and only stayed “running” at a certain throttle position. Pulled into driveway and noticed the exhaust was so hot it was glowing bright red on inside and after cooling down left my ever so clean looking exhaust halfway black. Took out spark plugs and tested. No spark on right side and only spark on left after releasing starter button. I can pop start it no problem but still only firing in one cylinder. The other cylinder keeps sparking after the bike starts running. Have 12v to ignition coil wire and even tested after that to the boot and even spark plug. I switched coils and plugs to other sides of each other and still the same problem with the right side.
The kickstand safety switch (just found this out last night) is missing something or something is wrong because I tried to start the bike in first on accident and it lunged toward. Kickstand down.
Don’t know if that has anything to do with coils but want to get everything out there.
Any suggestions are very appreciated and will with answers progress.
Thank you
Chasekito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Chasekito
ninjette.org newbie

Sorry I also have new battery, changed oil have checked all wiring. Tried old plugs and old coils. Nothing gets the cdi to spark on one side ( I tried switching green wire with the black) and got spark in the right cylinder (only after letting go the starter button) but now no spark at all on left. I have also takin CA emissions off.

Last futzed with by Chasekito; May 1st, 2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding information

Old May 1st, 2018, 09:11 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hello and welcome!

Sounds like you have multiple issues. Do you have oscilloscope? Can figure this out in less than 5-minutes with oscilloscope.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Chasekito
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you for th reply. Although I do not have one. I live in a very small town and just checked the couple of stores here and no one has any. I may have to order one.

Old May 1st, 2018, 09:37 AM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

The process would go like this:

1. test waveforms coming out of flywheel triggers at connector
2. verify same waveforms arrive at igniter-box connector
3. test ignition-triggers coming out of igniter
4. verify same waveforms arrive at each igntion coil

This will tell you if it's a flywheel-sensor issue, or igniter problem or ignition-coil or wiring in between with exact 100% precision and certainty. Baring that, you have serious wiring issues, so I'd just get a replacement harness that hasn't been all hacked up and put back together. I suspect you have a short in ignition circuit which can fry the igniter. Check out this similar thread: 2010 only running on one cylinder.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 1st, 2018 at 01:11 PM.

Old May 1st, 2018, 09:45 AM   #6
Chasekito
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you. Very much appreciated. Just thought of this, but since I get spark to one plug could I connect both green wire and black wire going to coils. I know they would both fire at the same time ( if it worked) but would it do more damage. Don’t want to try it and break something.

Old May 1st, 2018, 01:13 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Using one ignition-trigger for both would work if cylinders fired evenly. But they don't with 180-degree crank. So needs separate triggers and timing for each cylinder.

Notice that both cylinders are doing wasted-spark, firing on both end of compression and exhaust strokes:

0 compression -> spark -> BANG
180 compression -> spark -> BANG
360 exhaust -> spark -> puff
540 exhaust -> spark -> puff

0 compression -> spark -> BANG
180 compression -> spark -> BANG
360 exhaust -> spark -> puff
540 exhaust -> spark -> puff

and so on... hence the uneven firing sound at idle.. BBbrruup... BBbrruup... BBbrruup

To get perfectly even firing order, you'd need 360-degree crank (both pistons go up & down together), but you'd end up with horrible primary balance.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 1st, 2018 at 02:21 PM.

Old May 1st, 2018, 02:38 PM   #8
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
or maybe go the stick coil route
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=300352

Old May 1st, 2018, 03:36 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Which side had red-hot exhaust header? Right side?

I suspect that's from weakened and misfiring spark on that side. Most likely from failing right-side channel on igniter.due to short. The ignitier's dead, no way to revive it. Caused by short in harness.

Here's one in good condtion.
2008-2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Wire Harness

Old May 1st, 2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Chasekito
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you. Yes it is the right side. Was hoping it’s not the ignition. Wife’s not gonna be happy when I go pick one up.

Old May 1st, 2018, 08:09 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

PM me your address and I'll send you spare igniter you can swap in as test. If it runs both cylinders, we'll know for sure yours is bad. Just don't run it for more than 5-minutes or it'll fry too.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 5th, 2018, 08:19 PM   #12
Chasekito
ninjette.org newbie

Talking

Thank you danno I really appreciate it. However I ordered one right after my last post.
Got it today and it started right up. Sparking on both sides. Honestly didn’t think it was going to. But what a big relief it is. Thank you to everyone for the help and quick replies.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 6th, 2018, 07:14 AM   #13
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great to hear you got her running!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote