Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Question Lets talk helmet damage....

So, I know most of you wont think this is smart, but Ive learned, so no worries. Im just wondering if its bad and I should try and see if its still ok.

My helmet fell, but not from high at all. Its fallen twice now which is why Im asking if I should worry or not. Basically, when waiting to get into my classes, I lay my backpack flat (the side that goes on my back) on the floor. then i place my jcked on top of it, then my helmet. Well, by some super natural force, my helmet has "fallen" off its place twice now. Just wondering, would this be a sever problem?

Its not very high at all. parhaps about as high as my lp when i sit criss cross. I dont think I need to worry. But Im not all too sure....?????
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
its probably fine but any excuse is a good excuse to buy new gear

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Id normally agree, but not when its my brand new rf1100
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #4
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

so like 1 ft.?

I wouldnt trip
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Not even 1 ft pobably. Im just wondering because it happened twice. also, it was hit by a door once, but very lightly. nothing that worried me so. I need to be much more carefull i guess. :-\ Today has not been a very good riding related day for he most part :-n

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #6
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

dude.. dont trip. Its fine
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

If you have a backup helmet lying around, Shoei can X-ray the helmet for you to be sure. They're based in SoCal though so not sure how long that'll take for you.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #8
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Helmets aren't that prone to damage if there isn't anything in them when they fall. There's been a few threads about this situation.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #9
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Maybe if you dropped it from like 3 ish feet onto bare concrete and watched it bounce on the ground twice like a deflated basketball. That's what happened to me when I got distracted by someone heading to class. Don't know if that is safe anymore but I'll get it checked once I get my bell rs-1. Less than a foot, on probably a commercial carpet floor, I wouldn't worry about it.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #10
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Should not be a problem at all from that very low height, I wouldn't sweat it. If you are concerned, you can check the shell for damage (easy), then pull out the liner and check out the foam (harder). Impact damage to a helmet is for a loaded helmet, with the weight of a head inside crashing against it in a collision. An empty helmet doesn't suffer the kinetic energy that compresses the impact foam of the liner or harms the protective structure of the shell. Check for shell cracks and for mushy spots or cracks in the foam liner (if so, replace helmet). It takes some real height to get that kind of energy built up, probably more than a simple drop even from 3 or 4 feet.

I dropped my old Shoei from my seat, even to the point of damaging the air vent, sent it to Shoei for inspection and it passed with flying colors. Not that I would recommend wearing a helmet dropped from a motorcycle without checking it thoroughly yourself or sending it to the manufacturer for a free test, but from 1 foot I wouldn't hesitate for one second continuing to use it without further thought. Here is what the Snell Foundation has to say about it:

Quote:
If an empty helmet is dropped a few feet from a table top or the back of a bike onto a hard floor or pavement, the impact management is likely unaffected. The shell may be marred, even chipped but, in our experience, there would be no detectable effect in test results. Unless the manufacturer advises otherwise, one such simple fall is no reason to mistrust a helmet. Even so, such mishaps are to be avoided. Helmet damage is cumulative. A history of clumsy handling will destroy a crash helmet eventually.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #11
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

A couple of weeks ago, I dropped the helmet from the back seat. It fell onto the pavement and rolled under the car next to me. Scratched on the side, and some scuffs on the shield.
I am not too worried about it, and will keep wearing it till the end of the season. Will definitely buy a new one in spring, and keep this one as a back up. Its an inexpensive HJC helmet anyway

I am sure, yours is fine

Old October 16th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #12
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I have all my helmets, but won't wear any if older than 5 (and un-crashed).
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #13
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Lol I'd be more worried if your helmet feel off a 6 foot high coat rack, like mine did when a coworker knocked it off. I hope my helmets okay cuz as ghetto and scratched as it is, it's all I've got
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Mr.E
That rider dude.

My helmet fell off my bike today. :-\ Pretty bummed. Dont know what to do. Cant really afford a new helmet till a while

Then again after reading foyds post, Im sure its fine..

Old October 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM   #15
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

If the shell of the helmet cracked from a small bump like that, I'd have alot of concerns.

Most of the protection is from the EPS absorbing the impact. If there is nothing inside the helmet that would cause any of the EPS to deform there should be no damage to its protective qualities.

Now on the other hand if you are wearing your helmet and your friend thought it would be a funny idea to wack you with a bat just for fun... I'd get a new helmet because that helmet saved your head like it would in a crash. Same thing if you tripped and fell with your head in it, I'd consider replacing it as well. Or if you had something like a honeydew or cantaloupe in the helmet when you went shopping and you dropped it... ehhhhh questionable but that might cause some deformations as well.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM   #16
saxnbass

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
My helmet fell off my bike today. :-\ Pretty bummed. Dont know what to do. Cant really afford a new helmet till a while

Then again after reading foyds post, Im sure its fine..

I've dropped mine twice now from about waist height, if it's empty, then it's not that big of a deal. If you drop it like twice a day for a month, then it's a different story. If it had weight in it when it dropped, then it's also another story. But you'll be alright, it's very very very unlikely that you did any damage to the important parts of the helmet.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM   #17
Mr.E
That rider dude.

it only had gloves. i did a little inspection, no soft spots really. top is slightly scratched, but not really visible. the visor on the otherhand.... well i need a new one to say the least. lol. I guess ill stopp abusing my helmet now.