ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Advice on newgen rear shock/ ex500 fork springs

I've been looking into doing some suspension work to increase my handling that isn't going to require being an expert mechanic. Also, Im pretty light so I dont need to do huge modifications, just a little bit less squishy ride where i can feel the bike better would be great.

The two options I've heard of that seem doable are replacing my fork springs with those from a 1994 or newer ninja 500 and swapping my rear shock with a newgen rear shock.

I know a few of you guys have done the rear shock swap, and there's a great writeup on ninja250.org but I was wondering more about what it takes to get the current one off. Also, how to put in new fork springs; do I simply unbolt the handlebars, take off the end caps from the forks and drop in new springs? I'm just not comfortable breaking into something without as much of an idea of what I'm getting into as possible. I mean, just to shim my needles I read every forum possible and that was the best mod Ive done so far

any tips or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2
kkim

not exactly what you're asking for, but at least gives you ideas on what's involved...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29141

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36055
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
thanks! I'll look into the spacers as that could be a good alternative. not such a fan of having to hack up the back of my bike to fit the zx6r shock tho...

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
kkim

no, the shock thread was to give you an idea on what is involved in changing a shock. I'd recommend using a new gen shock on a pregen for a quick, easy, inexpensive upgrade.

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...duh thanks that helps.

Anyone getting rid of a newgen shock in good condition?

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
kkim

I found one on Ebay for $35. You just need to be patient... they pop up all the time.

Old February 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #7
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I just had the thought that I paid the regular price for my olden ninjette, $3179. Now you would think coming out with a lesser performance ninja at $1000-$1500 more they would at least cover all the other shortcomings. I don't know, I think I missed my meds tonight. Sorry.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
thanks! I'll look into the spacers as that could be a good alternative. not such a fan of having to hack up the back of my bike to fit the zx6r shock tho...
The spacers are of course the cheapest alternative, but in the end it doesn't do anything except reduce the available amount fo suspension travel. You're much better off with higher rate springs. And yes, for all intents and purposes, all you do is pull the old ones and drop in the new ones.

To run a ZX6 shock in the rear, you do not need to hack anything up. All you need is a longer bolt and 2 washers. Otherwise it's a straight bolt on. But you are def better off (if you don't want to spend the $$ on an aftermarket shock) using the 08+ stock shock. Straight bolt on, no mods, no spacers, no longer bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
I just had the thought that I paid the regular price for my olden ninjette, $3179. Now you would think coming out with a lesser performance ninja at $1000-$1500 more they would at least cover all the other shortcomings. I don't know, I think I missed my meds tonight. Sorry.
They did make it better. Better suspension front and rear, 17 inch wheels, updated body work. All good things, but Kawi also failed in the engine dept IMO. People "complained" that they had to "rev it too high" to get into the power band, so Kawi moved the power band lower in the rev range. But the consequence of that is that you run out of steam a lot quicker
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
, but in the end it doesn't do anything except reduce the available amount fo suspension travel. You're much better off with higher rate springs.
That's what I have been thinking about, I just hadnt remembered to post it as a question here, so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Quote:
the consequence of that is that you run out of steam a lot quicker
and yes i noticed this when my friend and i swapped bikes last week when it was warmer. mine pulls harder at the redline (plus its green so that makes it faster ) He rides a blue 08 and the contrast in handling was what made me look into upgrading in the first place.

I think I've decided on the 500 springs because theyre just a bit stiffer but not ridiculous, and I've been watching ebay for a newgen rear shock. I would try the marketplace but it looks like there's a waiting line for the newgen shocks

Old February 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #10
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
The spacers are of course the cheapest alternative, but in the end it doesn't do anything except reduce the available amount fo suspension travel. You're much better off with higher rate springs. And yes, for all intents and purposes, all you do is pull the old ones and drop in the new ones.

To run a ZX6 shock in the rear, you do not need to hack anything up. All you need is a longer bolt and 2 washers. Otherwise it's a straight bolt on. But you are def better off (if you don't want to spend the $$ on an aftermarket shock) using the 08+ stock shock. Straight bolt on, no mods, no spacers, no longer bolts.

They did make it better. Better suspension front and rear, 17 inch wheels, updated body work. All good things, but Kawi also failed in the engine dept IMO. People "complained" that they had to "rev it too high" to get into the power band, so Kawi moved the power band lower in the rev range. But the consequence of that is that you run out of steam a lot quicker
The guys talking about better suspension which was the point that hit me, so how can you say that, 17" wheels just means more fo a choice of lousy tires and they rose the fender for you. "updated body work", come on. I will say they look better as in modernized but thats not an upgrade. There are many small, not costly things to upgrade performance without going BIG, especially on a $3k bike is all.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

We can probably continue the new-gen vs. old-gen discussion in this mongo thread dedicated to that topic.

Seems like we can leave this particular one on what the OP was asking about, how to improve the suspension on his '99 in a cost-effective manner.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

If your really looking for an improvement..... I wouldnt bother with a new gen shock.

For getting it off, just two bolts after removing the coolant res.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #13
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Chris. I'd go for the new-gen rear shock vs. the EX500. From what I have read at ninja250.org the 2008+ shock is better. I have a 2009 shock on my 2005 and like it a lot.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Installing_an_EX500_shock

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...7c128e76e94039

From the above link:

EX500 - worked OK, but had to crank preload down 2/3 or more of the way, which made for a pretty harsh feeling
ZX750 - bought by accident, see write up in FAQ, only for really heavy riders, and then it's not quite right
ZX600 - came with my current bike. Works OK, better than the EX500, but still tended to get harsh the harder I ran it
EX250 J - Surprisingly nice ride. Static sag was much higher, and a lot less initial compression when saddled up. Provides good feedback without being harsh.

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Jeff,

I now own a shock off a J model ex250. yay me. I got the top bolt loose and continued to follow the instructions from here

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_..._rear_shock%3F

then I started the bolt on the dogbones. I loosened it and got the nut and bolt combo to spin freely by using a ratchet on the bolt, but I'm having trouble keeping a wrench on the nut still while I torque on the ratchet. Any suggestions? I sprayed the hell out of it with WD-40 and I plan on leaving it for tonight to see if I can get it to loosen up a bit but until then I'm kind of stuck. You've done this before; am I missing something obvious or am I just not using enough oomph?

Old March 9th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #15
JeffM
Mr. 988

Chris, my shock bolts/nuts came off pretty easily. I set up the wrench on one side so it hit the floor and braced itself as I turned the other side. Can you enlist a friend to help you twist the wrenches?

Old March 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I figured I would either have to wedge a wrench against either the floor or the tire. Ill try it against the floor and if that doesn't work, I'll get a friend to help. Thanks, at least I'm doing the right thing.

Old March 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I got it. WD-40 is a great thing. Thanks for the advice on wedging the wrench up against the floor. Worked great. Is there anywhere you know of that I can get the spanner tool that came with the new 250's to adjust the preload? Or should I just check ebay, google, etc? Mine came on the second to the tightest setting. I'm 135. not for me

**edit**

I just found the tool I need online thanks to another thread.

**/edit**

Last futzed with by choneofakind; March 9th, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: answered my own question.

Old March 19th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Thanks necessary

As the title says, thank you to everyone who's helped me with this. I intalled my springs last night, and I've been loving how the shock has helped. Can't wait to ride it a ton, and I owe some of it to all of you. So thanks

Old March 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #19
JeffM
Mr. 988

Glad to help. Enjoy.