ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM   #161
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

no, it's there so show the orientation of the display should be....so that you set/glue it to your dash and the number pointing at you for better visibility...not up onto the sky like your flat box. Ignore the photocell.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:41 PM   #162
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I understand it's not supposed to point upwards. The one on my bike did not (completely) either.

All the attempts I have made the digit is angled towards the rider (somewhat), but not parallel with the ground. I take the digit outside and turn it sideways parallel with the ground and then let the sun hit it and you still can't see it.

I just don't have the right digits if you can see those acumen in the sunlight at a 45 degree angle.

Sourcing a bunch of different ones to try is a lot of work I can't do as one person really. I'm going to have to decide on something soon and do it.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #163
ninja250
You are sleeping

OK got a little road block.
Will be moving fairly soon so will have a bunch of stuff going on.
Once I relocate the computer I will be able to get started on drawing the circuit board for this gauge. (Couple weeks or so max)

I decided I will simply draw up a PCB for the atmel chip and the seven segment display chip and a power supply chip. The rest (not being able to see in full sun) the end user will have to worry about with their placement of the gauge. I will also be making a custom case for the gauge with a hood to prevent sunlight from ruining the display. I will likely also add one button or a potentiometer to adjust the programming of the gauge.

It's going to be a short while before I can finish this project but I will get there.
It just got a lot easier once I get back to it to finish.

I did actually get the PCB file going but haven't done much but placed a component resembling the atmel chip into the drawing so far.
Once I get re situated I'll get this project finished up. This is the fun part after all..

Edit:
I think I'm also gonna try ordering from the link John posted about the 60,000mcd seven segment digit.
Let's see just how bright those are..

Sorry for the delays but I'll get back to this soon.

Last futzed with by ninja250; March 6th, 2010 at 03:28 AM.

Old March 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #164
ninja250
You are sleeping

So I figured out that 60,000ucd is equal to 60mcd.
I scored some LED's yesterday that are 3,000mcd. Many times brighter than these LED displays could ever be. (Hence you should be able to see them in the sun).

I'm going to use a small array of LED's for the display. 6 LED's, one for each gear. The bike already has a neutral light.

This will cut costs a bit too and make everything easier and more visible. I'd rather have it this way and be useful than you can't see it in daylight.

If you are in first gear, one LED will light up. If you are in second, two will light up.. and so on. Until all six are lit up and you are in sixth gear.

I know I want the LED display too but it's useless to me if I can't see it in daylight.
I'd rather fall back to super bright LED's that I know work in the sun than get hung up on this project over the LED display.

then you can even pick the color and the color will still be visible at all times.

Old March 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #165
ninja250
You are sleeping

Bit more progress.
Only thing missing is the programming port to the chip. I don't have to add that as I can program the chip before soldering it to the board, unless I want to make the firmware upgradeable.

You will be able to adjust the program by holding down the shift lever before you turn the bike on.. then hitting up or downshift to select from the options etc.

Also, the layout of the components has to be adjusted and maybe some power smoothing filters.

Then the wires rerouted.

But most of it is on there.. and it will get much much smaller with some integration. (stacking components on each side of the board)

So still very early in the design ...but here is what I have for tonight.

Why bother using a digit on there that you can't see. I know for sure I can see super bright LED's in full sunlight.
This circuit really will only cost like $10-$20 to produce, depending on the quality of components and amount of units.

Old March 6th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #166
ninja250
You are sleeping

Done drawing.
It came out to 1.45"x.7"
Just need to double check I ran all the traces right.
Then I can order the PCBs to be made.
I included programming and peripheral ports.

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #167
ninja250
You are sleeping

So before I press the button I decided I better be sure how the bike neutral sensor output works.

Just as I suspected from viewing the schematic it outputs a logic level "low" (364mv as shown in picture) when in neutral and a 12v logic "high" signal when in gear (the rest of the time).

Now I just need to plug the bike into the bread board again and test the neutral sensor on my atmel chip.. Then this circuit board is ready for order.
I had to add a resistor to the input line from the neutral sensor to the MCU to drop the current down to something manageable and I also added a pullup resistor to ground instead of power this time. At worst maybe a switching transistor to read the line. Just a little board change and some testing to do.

I'm thinking you can mount this under the plastic somewhere and just have the LED's poke through. Or I'll just make a tiny plastic case for them.

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #168
ninja250
You are sleeping

lol,
Fried my first victim today. Cooked the brains of my test operation and had to put together a new one. Only set me back a few hours.

Then I ended up getting it onto the bike for a test run.
Not bad. Had it up on the stands so not looking to go to sixth gear, but hit fourth for you. Also, you can see my neutral sensor solution working.
Accidentally hit the horn instead of the start switch. Guess I'm camera shy.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Dang this stuff is hard.
I still have to make a separate power filter board or something. After a minute or two the power starts jumping like crazy. Not sure if it's heat or my wiring or what. Gotta chase that down.
Need to take a few days break to give my back a rest though. That was enough progress for now. The drawings have been updated as well.

Old March 7th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #169
kylerwhite
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

WOW its looking awesome man!
kylerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #170
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

You can do it!
Posted via Mobile Device
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #171
ninja250
You are sleeping

It's done!

Thanks for the kind words of inspiration! This is incredibly hard and frustrating for me at times.

During a short but cold ride I was able to think of a solution to the bugs with the gauge.

Came home and made a few changes and it's working 100% now.

Now I can draw the final circuit board. The hard parts have been finished and tested. I surprised myself on this one actually, being able to mimic the whole thing with two completely different types of microcontrollers.

Here's video. The bike clearly knows when it's in neutral. I can't fake it out.

Tons of hard work finally beginning to pay off.
Oh I even forgot to show the blinking neutral indicator potentiometer in operation too. lol Next video for sure. I gotta start on the final PCB.
I can feel an end to this project!

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #172
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'm going to make two versions.

One with super bright LEDs.

The other using the 7 segment LED display.

I have the super bright LED PCB drawing finished.

Just have to finish the second version with the LED display.

Then you can pick which one you like best.

Old March 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #173
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'm pretty sure I'm finished with both boards.
I'll give them the final look over tonight.
Also drew up an updated breakout board for the atmel chip on the bike and a little sot23 transistor breakout board since I had extra space.

The circuit board for the gauge with the digit display came out to .9"x.9".
The circuit board for the LED tree style gauge is 1.5"x.7"
Making it any smaller starts to be a PITA to assemble on my own. Then I have to outsource them to a reflow oven so I'd rather do it myself and have the slightly larger board.

Old March 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #174
randomwalk101
self wrencher

that looks professinally done (the board).. Good job.

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #175
ninja250
You are sleeping

OK, I ordered the boards!
Cost a pretty penny! I hope it was worth it.

Now is the time when I have to cross my fingers and make sure I didn't want to change anything or find some mistakes

They should be here in a few days!
this picture here is just about the same size as they will arrive (on my monitor anyways)

Imagine if you had to put them together. lol

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #176
ninja250
You are sleeping

OK sorry to keep dragging this thread on. We're almost done here.

We have one characteristic to this gauge that must be obeyed when it comes to the display digit.

It has to fit a "10 pin DIP" package. It also has to have the same "pinout"

I suppose you could even wire different digits to it if you wanted but you'd have to add wires where the digit goes on the board.

I know for sure that I can get the digits to populate these gauges. The exact digit part number is NTE3057, which a short google search turns up several places to buy them. I got these ones from my local electronic store so I know I can get more.

But we can now also start looking for other digits that might be brighter with the same physical properties as the digit I am using now.

Either way, if you have a smoked windscreen you probably won't have to worry about it. Or you could stick the gauge down in your fairing or somewhere dark on the bike. It's small enough that you will have tons of options.

I still have yet to design a case for the PCB/gauge because I need the PCB's to arrive so I can assemble one and figure out it's final size. When I go looking for what to use as a gauge case I will try to select something that ads shade over the display digit so it will be easy to see at any time.

I'm telling you guys though the gauge with the LED's on it instead of the digit will be the hot product. You'll be able to see it in any situation.
I also made these things totally expandable and the firmware can be upgraded and the program can be added to etc etc etc. You will be able to add your own components if you have ideas you want to add to it later, or I can even help you implement parts to the gauge you might want. (IE, a shift light or whatever)

Oh yes, there is also a potentiometer included on each board for people who like to tweek things. It will be programmed to do different things to the lights or run a different program routine or whatever.

This should turn out pretty cool!
Now that the design is done, I can box up my crap and move.

Old March 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #177
randomwalk101
self wrencher

pretty cool to have firmware upgradable
I have a dytona temp gauge installed and it's under the dark windscreen facing the rider..never have issue with it under direct sunlight...it's a dark digital display thing so it's not even light up character and I still able to see it 100% fine.

Old March 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #178
ninja250
You are sleeping

Well hopefully the gauge turns out bright enough for ya.

Here's a picture of how small they will be. The digit version is under 1" cubed. lol

The LED version is 1.5" by .7" as stated before. Not sure on height yet.
It will have a green light for neutral and probably a red light for first gear, then whatever spiffy color for the rest of the gears. I guess the colors are really optional.

Also picked up a crapload of components to populate the boards, including several super bright blue LED's that were like $2 each and more display digits etc etc.

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #179
ninja250
You are sleeping

Theeey're heeeere!
I'll put some together and program them. Give me a couple days.
I'm half way done moving all my stuff to the new place. Had to stop by a friends PC to show these off really quick.

Old March 18th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #180
ninja250
You are sleeping

Well, the 7 segment display version works. Perfectly.
It's tiny. You can just about put it anywhere.
I'll test it out more today.
Need to design a little case for these bad boys.

Old March 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #181
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Oooo fancy Looking awsome
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #182
ninja250
You are sleeping

Thanks dude.
Just got my internet and PC hooked up at the new place. (although on the carpet!)
It's newly renovated as well. Nice environment for engineering.
I should have some more work done on these soon. It's taking forever to finish!
I have a few more load of crap to move then I can get back to the grind.

One thing I notice is my circuit wasn't getting hot before on the breadboard and now it is on the PCB. I think I need to increase the resistors to a higher wattage for the V-reg. Shouldn't be any issues there..
That was the only difference in the circuit between the breadboard and the PCB. resistor wattage..
I don't think the heat effects anything but I'll fix it anyway.

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:09 PM   #183
ninja250
You are sleeping

They work! Flawlessly.
I'll get video of it in daylight tomorrow. Hopefully they are bright!

Old March 21st, 2010, 11:51 PM   #184
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

That's excellent work, KC. People have said it before, and with good reason: you should market this.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM   #185
ninja250
You are sleeping

Some footage of the shift display this morning before work.
I'll see about getting more afterward.

Warming up and playing with the potentiometer neutral blink rate and testing for overheating.

First daylight test

Second test

I'll remove the V-reg and get it seated regularly on the board again.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #186
riiken
Late Bloomer

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Bikes-less :(

Bad ass... I so want one!
riiken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #187
ninja250
You are sleeping

Video of the gauge in broad daylight.
I removed my windscreen so you can see what it looks like with full sun on it.
Can't see it well in full sun. You can in real life just barely but on video you can't. Any other situation you can see it fine. If you have a tinted windscreen you won't have a problem either.. or you can mount it behind your fairings or something.

I had no problem waving my hand in front of it to check gear too when sun was directly hitting it.

Ignore my crappy shifting.. I wasn't paying much attention to that.
If you go through the whole video that just about puts the gauge in every light situation.

Now watch when I put together one of the gauges with the LEDs instead of the digit.
You'll be able to see it at any time.

Old May 31st, 2010, 01:24 PM   #188
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

ohh come on. another mod to add to my list. lol

Old June 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #189
Tim250
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

You should definitely refine that thing and sell it.

I'm not much of a mechanic but I'd certainly pay $50-100+ for a quality gear-display that doesn't take up much space or take a genius to install and won't break when it rains.
Tim250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #190
davelhunter

Are these for sale yet?

Are these for sale yet? I would like one! What is the price?

Old June 29th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #191
Goosey
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

All the photos and videos are gone

Old June 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #192
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

KC decided to leave the site awhile back, looks like he wiped all the content that was linked from this site. Which is a shame, as I know he had a bunch of fans for a number of his interesting projects.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #193
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Something tells me he found a buyer for this.
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote