ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #81
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Put that woman to work! To be honest, the bike doesn't look that bad at all. The only thing that screams at me is the primer painted upper cowling. And it looks like you're already draining the oil :P
A new OEM upper cowl, headlight housing, and gauge face will be ordered soon.
msebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #82
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msebastian View Post
Yup did the oil change, should the oil be to the top of the sight glass. It is about 3/4 high. I will check now that the bike is cooled down some. I did 1.7-1.8 qts like the DIY said. Filling the oil up slowly and then running the bike and letting it cool and filling more if needed. The old oil looked really good and the filter was really clean.
There should be two lines to the side of the sight glass. Oil level just needs to be between the two lines.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #83
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Fork oil seals need replaced. They have not been replaced since the bike was bought. There is just a little leakage coming from the clutch side seal. Brakes are excellent so I am not going to mess with the fluids or pads just yet.

There is a tube coming from where the Kleen air system would be on top of the valve cover that is open and sucking air. I don't know if I should block it off or leave it open. Other than those things and the body damage the bike is great.

Old February 9th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #84
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Block off that tube.

Sounds like the bike is a good buy
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #85
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Block off that tube.

Sounds like the bike is a good buy
I believe so just a little work and the bike will be ready to go. I just ordered the SSR block off plate, should be here next week. I have about $500 more worth of parts to buy before I will be satisfied enough to ride the bike, plus change out the fork seals, dust seals, and fork oil. I changed the oil last night and the bike loved the new oil even though the old oil looked kind of fresh. I am very happy with the purchase and can't wait till warmer weather gets here.

Old February 9th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #86
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Just finished up the coolant flush and added the engine ice coolant. I got all the air bubbles out and waited for the fan to turn on. This seemed to take awhile since the new coolant is suppose to reduce temps by 50 degrees. But it is done and the bike seems to be running a tad bit better.

I found a rats nest or something in the rear compartment, and the wires were all chewed up and mangled. So I rewraped each wire individually and then rewrapped them back together. I went through some of the wires today to rearrange them because they did not seem very organized and were just hanging all over.

The tube coming off of the valve cover that was not blocked off after the Kleen air delete makes the bike much louder, but when I plug the tube the bike runs much smoother and throttle response seems much better. The block off plate will be here before or on Thursday so that will be fixed.

I will be doing some more tomorrow and for the next couple days as more parts start to come in.

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #87
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

I am going out tomorrow to get a can of Duplicolor Grabber Green spray paint to just get the front upper cowl to somewhat match up for now. I seen on another forum that grabber green is as close to a Kawasaki Lime Green that you can get without paying $40 for a can of spray paint. I am also getting some gloss black touch up paint so I can touch up where the scratches are. Should look somewhat better at least for now.

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #88
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Change of plans. Since I already had the side fairings off and the upper cowl I decided to just go ahead and have the bike painted. After further inspection of the upper cowl it seems that it is salvagable and I do not need to get a new piece.

So since this morning I have stripped the bike naked and sanded down all of the fairings (except the tank) and I have primed the upper cowl and rear fairings. The left lower fairing is ready for primer and all of the scratches and rash has been sanded out and filled where necessary. The right lower fairing has had all of the scratches sanded out and filled but still needs some work where a piece is cracked.

So tomorrow I am going out and getting some good filler to finish the upper cowl and right lower fairing and then prime all pieces and get them ready for paint. I am hoping to get all of the pieces done and ready tomorrow so I can get the tank sanded down and ready for paint on Tuesday. Then I just have to wait for my solo seat cowl to come in and prep it and take everything to be painted. I am having the bike painted Pearl White for anyone interested.

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #89
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Did you get an estimate for the paint job?
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #90
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Did you get an estimate for the paint job?
I got a rough estimate before I bought the bike. He said $2-300 with me prepping the parts. I will post pictures shortly for anyone who wants to see what I have been up to today.

Last futzed with by msebastian; February 10th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #91
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

That's a steal if he does good work! Just remember though a paint job is only as good as the prep job underneath of it! Pictures would great to see how it's all coming along, you've been doing quick work.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #92
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Upper Cowl (I need to get some ABS and build up the missing piece by the headlight)

Rear Tail Fairings

Right Lower Fairing

Right Lower Fairing Damage

Left Lower Fairing

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #93
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Oh yeah lets not forget this shot.

Naked

Old February 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #94
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That's a steal if he does good work! Just remember though a paint job is only as good as the prep job underneath of it! Pictures would great to see how it's all coming along, you've been doing quick work.
Like I said it is a rough estimate so when I take the fairings up to the shop I will get the actual estimate. The shop does awesome work and they have won many awards around here for their paint jobs. Also the guy is my dad's best friend since high school so I get a little discount.

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #95
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Congrats on all the work. I knew you could do it yourself. Pearl white will look great but be aware it will cost more and be tougher to fix if you have any damage down the road. My car is pearl white and I love how it looks in the sun and under lights at night. Someone scratched the back of it and it can't just be touched up like a normal paint job. Keep the pics coming as you progress.

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #96
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMman View Post
Congrats on all the work. I knew you could do it yourself. Pearl white will look great but be aware it will cost more and be tougher to fix if you have any damage down the road. My car is pearl white and I love how it looks in the sun and under lights at night. Someone scratched the back of it and it can't just be touched up like a normal paint job. Keep the pics coming as you progress.
I will keep the pics coming. I plan to start a build thread since this thread was for opinions on the bike to purchase it, and now that I did I need to start a new thread.

I appreciate the encouragement and it was really no different than me working on a car. I have done body work before so it was easy to get the bike this far today. I used hardly any filler on the fairings. But the upper cowl stills needs filler to fill in some scratches and ABS to fix the missing piece. The lower right fairing also needs some ABS and filler before it is ready for primer.

Old February 14th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #97
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

I removed the kleen air system fully and installed the SSR block off plate. The kleen air had every hose wide open except the hose that goes into the valve cover. This could explain the slight low range bogging that I have been experiencing.

Plus I removed the gas tank so it can start being prepped for paint. I am hoping to get the bike painted this weekend or early next week. I almost have the upper cowl and right side lower fairing damage areas filled in and fixed. The fairings should be prepped and ready by Saturday.

Also my new chain, 15/42T sprockets, chain breaker and rivet tool, and cable luber have all arived so I will be putting on/using those within the next couple of days. Still waiting on my smoked double bubble windscreen and solo seat cowl to come in. They should be here next week.

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #98
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

I think that I am going to take off the carbs and give them a good cleaning. I do not know when this was last done and I would like to know what jets and sizes have been installed. Plus I am curious if the needles have been actually shimmed like the seller said they were. If not I am going to shim them with two washers and see if that changes anything and may go three washers if needed. I do not think I want to get into the idle mixture screws if I do not have 2. Plus I may drill the slides to see what that changes. And then sync the carbs to get them working together. I hope this will make a big change in the bike.

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #99
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ sounds like you have a plan.

I would start with 1 washer and add more from there.

Also, make sure you get the needle height first, then drill the slides. Keep the changes to one at a time. It will cause fewer headaches when trying to analyze what changes did what

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #100
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
^^ sounds like you have a plan.

I would start with 1 washer and add more from there.

Also, make sure you get the needle height first, then drill the slides. Keep the changes to one at a time. It will cause fewer headaches when trying to analyze what changes did what
I will do just that, take one thing at a time and see how it effects the bike. I just want to see how the bike was taken care of before I purchased it and see if regular maintinence was kept up on. I am also going to pull the valve cover just to see what everything looks like under there. I have already found several things that was regular maintinence that was not done and I had to fix.

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #101
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Well it has been a couple months but she is painted and back together. I am waiting on my inspection and I will be doing some more mods to her such as:

Integrated taillight, fender chop, Flush Mounts, Signal Mirrors, Levers, Grips, Bar Ends, Clip-On's, Preload Adjusters, Sportisi V3 Hugger, Spielger Lines, Diablo Rosso 2's, HID's, Spy 5000m, and las but not least Full Yoshimura or Scorpion Serket. I have some of these parts already but I have to get through my inspection before I can put them on.

Here she is in before and after, I will grab more pics when the weather is nicer:

Before

After

Thanks to anyone who has helped me along the way and I will start a new thread when I start putting the new parts on her. By the way the green rim stripes will be gone soon for either red stripes or polished lip.

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #102
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Here is a little bit of the work I did:

Changed all fluids with performance fluids
Replaced fork oil seals and dust covers
Fixed all of the wrecked OEM fairings (lots of work, look at back post)
Painted the bike myself (still needs cut and buffed)
Replaced front and rear brake pads
Adjusted the valves
Cleaned the entire bike and painted the engine where paint was flaking
Went over every nut and bolt and tightened to factory specs
New EK O-ring chain
New Chinese Double Bubble Windscreen
New Chinese Solo Seat Cowl
New complete fairing bolt kit from Bike Bolts (Flat Black Bolts)
And a lot of attention to detail and love and care

Old April 16th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #103
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looks great!! I love the feeling of doing work on a bike, knowing exactly what shape it's in, and knowing that your hard work accomplished something.

refresh my memory here: is the plan to flip it or to keep it for yourself?

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #104
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Looks great!! I love the feeling of doing work on a bike, knowing exactly what shape it's in, and knowing that your hard work accomplished something.

refresh my memory here: is the plan to flip it or to keep it for yourself?
No I will be keeping the bike. This is really my first bike since I only had my last Ninja 250R for a few days before it was ran over in a Wal-Mart parking lot (old people.) I rode it for less than 100 miles before that happened. I got this bike for $1,300 with a lot of maintenance paperwork showing that everything has been done on time and by a professional Kawasaki shop. The bike is a salvage title but was only cosmetic damage to the fairings (which I fixed) and runs and rides perfect. I did a lot of extra stuff that might not had been needed but I know that it was done and when I need to check on things and change things out like fluids and chain maintenance. Plus I made her mine and look the way I want. I forgot to add that I also did a sprocket swap to 15F and 42R and seems to have a little more top end and I do not have too shift so quickly now.

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #105
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Very nice! You mentioned an inspection. Is that to get a standard title to replace the salvage title? I've never had to go through that process so I'm unsure of how it works.

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #106
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Very nice! You mentioned an inspection. Is that to get a standard title to replace the salvage title? I've never had to go through that process so I'm unsure of how it works.
In Ohio once a vehicle becomes salvage you must complete all repairs to the vehicle that made the vehicle salvage and take your vehicle along with all receipts for the repairs and have the vehicle inspected. If you pass your inspection than you will be awarded with a certificate of inspection which will allow you to get tags for the vehicle. If you fail your inspection you must complete the repairs that you failed within a certain amount of time or you have to pay the $53 inspection fee again. Your title will always be a salvage title but your vehicle will be cleared to drive on the road. I went overboard with the repairs I made. I could have bought a turn signal and headlight bulb and passed the inspection when I bought the bike and did nothing else. I just figured I might as well do what I want to the bike now before riding season hits instead of doing those things during riding season. My inspection is next Tuesday at 9:45 and if I pass I am going to get my tags and then go off on a nice long ride (if weather permits.) It is going to cost me around $120 just in title fees, registration fees, inspection fees, and tags to get the bike back on the roads legally.