ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #41
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

That looks freakin' sweet Tri! Been wanting to do this for a while but haven't had the cojones to start hackin at my headlights. Thanks a million for doing a DIY with this.

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #42
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

What's Tri?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #43
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

That looks great! kinda looks like a pissed off blue bumble bee, I like it!

Old February 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #44
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Ultra!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '09, SV650s '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
What's Tri?
CThunder-blue's name

I think it looks great! A DIY would be a awesome! I'm sure many people would appreciate it! My girlfriend is actually interested in doing this very mod, and I'm sure a DIY would really help her out.

I'm sure she'll be on this forum soon enough!
UltrA_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #45
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Thanks guys. I got the bike all put back together! I was able to adjust the low beams and everything's done. I just need to upload the pics and finish the DIY. I'm hoping to find time to do that tomorrow night or Sunday night. Tonight is date night with the wife .
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #46
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I got the final pix downloaded to computer. Here's another pic with all the fairings back on. Going to work on finishing the DIY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (89.6 KB, 124 views)

Old February 11th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #47
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Looks like one pissed off 250. Love it!!
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #48
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Ok guys. I'm done with the DIY! Full write up can be found on my web page: http://www.audiotether.com/250RHID/250RHIDretrofit.htm

It's a long read, but I wanted to put as much detail in there as I could to help you guys.

Old February 12th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #49
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
It's a long read, but I wanted to put as much detail in there as I could to help you guys.
Thanks !!!!!
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #50
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Ultra!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '09, SV650s '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Ok guys. I'm done with the DIY! Full write up can be found on my web page: http://www.audiotether.com/250RHID/250RHIDretrofit.htm

You should update the OP with your pics from a previous post and the link.

Great job btw!
UltrA_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #51
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Looks very good! For sure the hardest part of a projector retrofit is just opening up the housing.

I'm looking into this for when I pick up my ninjette. I also noticed that the people on the ninja 650r's have been using the G3 retrofits kits for projectors, which is probably the route I'll be going, just because it's cheaper overall. Although I've only heard good things about the Morimoto kits from theretrofitsource.com.

Also, thanks for the writeup. It's very helpful.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #52
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

nice writeup
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #53
sherjay
ninjette.org member

Name: Xtian

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

Looks very nice.
sherjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM   #54
Momaru

Ok, I gotta know... Where did you source a big enough sheet of 3/8" ABS and 1/8" PVC for the mounting and shroud boards for under $15? I can't find a sheet of ABS that thick for under $40. That said, I'm trying for a 12x24" so I have some 'oops' room (or material to make a second one for to a forum member).

Already tried my local hardware stores; they don't carry any ABS and the PVC sheets were seriously overpriced.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:12 AM   #55
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Sweet doode!! And, thx for the write up. I recently picked up an extra set of headlights to do this... now, I just need to order the other stuff find some time.
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM   #56
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Ok, I gotta know... Where did you source a big enough sheet of 3/8" ABS and 1/8" PVC for the mounting and shroud boards for under $15? I can't find a sheet of ABS that thick for under $40. That said, I'm trying for a 12x24" so I have some 'oops' room (or material to make a second one for to a forum member).

Already tried my local hardware stores; they don't carry any ABS and the PVC sheets were seriously overpriced.
Try your local sign shops. They should have abs and PVC aplenty. If not, let me know and I can get you some.

Old February 25th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #57
Momaru

Tri, thanks for the help with the mounting sheets man, I would've been stuck without ya (or at least stuck paying WAY too much for a couple sheets of plastic)

Just discovered why you built your own harness... all of the ones (that I could find anyway) on the market are designed for cars, so the ballast power supply cables are very asymmetrical. You'd have to splice into several cables to lengthen them to even get the harness on the bike, which isn't all that worth it when you can build your own for about the same price and have fewer possible points of failure.

FWIW, the harness from TheRetrofitSource falls into this asymmetrical category, as well as the fuse holder was pretty much exposed and crimps are crap. Two of them came loose just shaking it out of the packaging bag. It's going back.

Old February 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #58
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Paul, can you post a pic of the harness you're having problems with? I really only made my relay harness because I had all the parts on hand. Even a harness with 3 feet leads would be sufficient.

Old February 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #59
Momaru

I literally just shipped it back to them this afternoon and neglected to take pictures when I was working on it. However, I'll summarize to the best of my recollection and link the only provided pic from their website:

(For an idea of scale, each half of a coil loop (the distance between the curves) is about 7")
There are two 9006-type connectors to power the ballasts. One of them is in black wire loom and is about 40" long. The other one is just in sheathing and extends *maybe* 12" from the relay. The weatherproofing seals around one of the wires into the shorter-wired 9006 was severely compromised; fixable, but would not hold up to weather.
The H7 plug to attach into the headlight socket has about 10" of wire coming from the relay.
The battery cables (with ring terminals) are about 14" for the positive (red sheath with effectively exposed fuse holder included) and about 8" for the negative.

Even stretching the wiring out perfectly straight, I fell over 18" short from the headlight sockets, and could only reach the area behind the instrument panel with one of the ballast power sockets. The company suggested I just splice into the battery cables and lengthen them. That's well and good I can do it easily, but the whole point of me buying a harness was NOT to need to do that. Ah well, I should've asked them before buying. What amused me in this is this quote from their website:
"For protection, the wiring is covered in black "high heat" convoluted tubing, all of which is guaranteed to be long enough to fit all applications."

TRS' policy to not accept returns for refunds (without getting that approved before the original purchase), has led to some frustration.
To their credit though, the Morimoto D2S projectors are in good shape and they included the connectors for the hi-beam solenoids. I did get what I ordered from them within 48 hours though, which was awesome given I paid for the cheapest possible shipping. Also, they cut me a little price break since I called in and asked nicely.

That said, I'm kinda glad I went with a DIY harness. Spent a couple hours sourcing out high-quality components parts as well as some waterproofing shrink-wrap, and didn't spend much more than the harness from TRS cost me. If anything goes wrong with it, I've only got myself to blame.

Old February 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #60
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Sounds like you did the right thing. Extending the battery wires would have been fine as well, but if there was prior damage to the cable, you're better off doing what u did.

Old February 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #61
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

After getting the mounting board made for Paul, I realized I made an error on the DIY. It should be 1/4" ABS not 3/8". I've already made the correction on the website. Sorry

Old February 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #62
Momaru

Hehe, I was wondering about that. I kept thinking "wow, that's some serious mounting board." Thanks again for grabbing me some paneling man. If I know this forum, you'll wind up making that trip a couple more times this summer.

Also realized that an H7 male won't plug directly into the stock wiring; you have to use that silly black adapter that fits on the back of the stock bulb before you put it into the headlight (first pic on page 7 of your DIY). Being my usual retentive self, I've ordered an H4 male plug as it looks about right for our stock socket. One less piece to fall out/corrode/fail, assuming it fits.

Old February 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #63
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Paul, yeah, the adapter has to be used. I just wrapped it liberally with some 3M electrical tape. I knew that going into the project and didn't really want to spend extra money in case the H4 harness didn't work. Let me know if it works out and I'll update the DIY.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:54 PM   #64
Momaru

I got my H4 sockets in the mail today. They mate perfectly with the stock wiring, bypassing the bulb adapter. The difference between the H7 and H4 sockets are that the pins are a little further apart (13mm vs 16mm, respectively) and the pins are individually a little wider (6mm vs ~7.5mm). Also the H4 plug has a slot for a third pin, but that one's not used on our bikes (typically H4 bulbs are both hi-lo and that third pin provides power for that function).

DSC06061.JPG
Edit: (H4 is on the left, H7 on the right)

Other than sheer laziness, I do not know why Kawasaki chose to use an H4 wiring socket, then go through an adapter to use an H7 bulb. Pure silliness

Last futzed with by Momaru; March 2nd, 2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: picture caption & clarification
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:25 PM   #65
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Thanks Paul. I'll update my diy.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM   #66
Momaru

Finished my edition of this mod about two weeks ago, finally getting some pics up. Since Tri did such a great write-up, I'll just toss up some summary photos from my build, highlighting some differences between the OP and I.

This is what I sat down with to make the wiring harness. I wound up buying (almost) all of my connectors as kits and doing the crimps, etc for all of them, to ensure they strong, tight and waterproof as reasonably possible. As I mentioned above, I found out during the process that Kawasaki used an H4 female connector on the stock harness (and an adapter to interface w/ the H7 bulbs), so I subbed that in for the H7.
DSC06069.jpg

My mounted projectors. I think I must've spent 2 hours just measuring to cut the holes for the projectors; time well spent though. For the record a 3" hole saw will work, but like Tri mentions in his DIY, there's very little room for error. I wound up using M4x30mm (0.7 thread pitch) for the bolts that go through the lowest black plastic points of the lens support (as well as the mounting board) as this is what it came with and was threaded to use M4, I just went a lot longer. Used 20mm long M5x25mm (0.8 thread pitch) for the upper bolts that just go through the metal part of the projector housing (and again, the mounting board) instead of M8 bolts like Tri since the housing had been drilled crooked on one of the holes and I didn't want to risk making it too thin. I used really long bolts in all of these slots because I wanted room to attach standoffs for the faceplate (the 6 white things) Nylock nuts and blue loctite were both employed after aligning everything to make sure nothing vibrates loose.
DSC06093.jpg
DSC06096.jpg

I used spacers behind the faceplate because I wanted the shrouds up front on the housings and because I didn't want to waste the mounting rings (for the shrouds) I'd purchased. Wound up threading the spaces onto various mounting bolts and epoxying the spacers to the back of the faceplate.
DSC06100.jpg

After feeling how much heat these bulbs put out, I decided to add a third heat/air equalizing vent by cutting off the tip of the plastic rod-thing that's in the center-back of the headlight housing. I attached a spare vent tube from another headlight I had hanging around. Shown here with the end of the tube coming out from behind the housing. Didn't take any specific pics of this, unfortunately.
DSC06102.jpg

Skipped the carbon fiber vinyl since I kinda like the semi-gloss black finish the PVC had on it to begin with; almost perfectly matches the stock plastic in the corners. Spent a LONG time prototyping and test-fitting the faceplate though, as I wanted a much tighter fit to hide pretty much all of the air gaps and hardware.
DSC06099.jpg
DSC06116.jpg

More-or-less final alignment of the projectors. I wound up spending an hour or so tweaking the pitch and yaw of the two housings to get them to synch up the light beam.
DSC06078.jpg

Finished product
DSC06112.jpg
DSC06121.jpg.

Don't have pics, but I wound up going with the Morimoto 3Five ballasts & 5000k Morimoto bulbs, both from TheRetrofitSource. A bit pricey but quality hardware. The only catch is that the Morimoto system uses true D2S bulbs, not the re-based ones that have wired connectors coming out of the back like many HID retrofit kits. As such, I had to trim the rubber dust boot on the back of the headlights to get the connectors to fit properly, but there's no extra wiring cluttering up the area behind my dash and in the event of a flood, my ballasts are waterproof.

All in all, I spent WAY longer on this than I thought I would, especially with the faceplate. But it was a mountain of fun and I'm extremely pleased with the end result.

I'd be more than happy to help any east-coasters out with this (or anyone really) should they decide to undertake the task. Also, I have a spare sheet each of the mounting and faceplate material, courtesy of Tri/CThunder-blue.

Tri, thanks again for an excellent DIY and (at least for this group) pioneering this task for we the less-brave.

Last futzed with by Momaru; April 5th, 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: correcting measurements
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #67
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

That looks awesome Paul! Nicely done . The time you spent on aligning the beam paid off. If I wasn't such a dufus and sealed my headlights up before alignment, I would have done that as well.

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #68
Maniac0908
ninjette.org member

Name: Mahesh

Motorcycle(s): 11 ninja 250r

Hey tri would you be willing to do this if i paid you?
Maniac0908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #69
Momaru

Both Tri and I have been asked to build these for sale. Last time I checked with him, Tri wasn't willing.

I quoted the person $700-1000, depending on the the cost of materials (~$450-750) and a LOT of my time invested when I'm not at my full-time job. There are shops that do this retrofit, I'm not sure what they would charge. Here's a link to one: http://www.sickhids.com/

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #70
Maniac0908
ninjette.org member

Damn. Ok know any shops over on the east coast. I really want this done. But im scared im gonna mess things up.

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #71
Maniac0908
ninjette.org member

O man i didnt kno you were in va! Im in md! Would you be willing to help me if i paid you for your time? I used to be an installer for best buy so im not a noob with tools. Just havnt done any of this. I also want to make it so that both lights (hid or course) come on as low beams. And when i press the switch on the handle bar both lights go to high beam. Im guessing i would have to change the bulb type and Plug? And i also want it to be halo projectors.

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #72
Momaru

I'm about as far as I can be from MD and still be in VA. That said, I do have some friends not too far from Silver Springs and my girlfriend's parents are in Fairfax, VA ~40min away.

Very happy to help you out man, esp if you're willing to pay a little. I'm semi-pro with soldering, I'm employed as a lab technician (which includes fixing/build experimental apparatuses) and have (obviously) done this before. Think it took me ~20 hours of work to get it all together. Can definitely do it in less a second time, but it'll still be significant time.

The build that Tri (and I) did results in both bulbs on upon start-up, with both of them switchable to 'high' beam with the stock switch flipped. If you've taken a look at his DIY (linked above, post #27) you'll see that's pretty much how the relay works. The retrofit necessarily changes bulb type and the plug, since you can't power HIDs without a ballast to provide the initial 'spike' of voltage to get the bulb lit. The only part I'd have to figure out is the halos and how to wire them in, but that's easy stuff.

If you're quite serious on this, I can dig up/get together my complete parts list. I wound up building the wiring harness pretty much from scratch b/c the one I bought was terrible quality & the cable lengths were all wrong. I also went with fairly top-end parts for the bulb/ballast, which I've never had cause to regret.

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #73
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i wouldnt mind doing this to mine.. ive got some experience cracking open car headlamps and ive actually done a set of custom projectors on a car once. looks good though guys!
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #74
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Both Tri and I have been asked to build these for sale. Last time I checked with him, Tri wasn't willing.

I quoted the person $700-1000, depending on the the cost of materials (~$450-750) and a LOT of my time invested when I'm not at my full-time job. There are shops that do this retrofit, I'm not sure what they would charge. Here's a link to one: http://www.sickhids.com/
this guy is like $500 I showed you his quote in another thread. I havent used him so I cant vouch for him, but If you use him tell him Justin sent you, I told him I would be referring people to him, I WILL most likely be getting mine done this winter. If people are patient I will show you what I get. If not, no worries and Id like to see what im getting so just post pics

Also the guy is local so if I think hes ripping me off I will go knock on his door hes about an hour away, but I go through there when I go snowboarding anyways
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #75
Momaru

Yep, thanks for the repost of that quote and the initial find/crosslink Justin. As I said on the other thread, I'm definitely eager to see how he does it and what the results look like on our headlights.

From the ad on his site, if he's that good and can deliver for ~$500, I suspect he's about to have a bunch of business coming his way

I wound up quoting what I did based on the materials I used/found for my build and the fact I don't do this for a living, so it takes a lot of my time that I could be using for other things, like riding

Old October 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #76
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Yep, thanks for the repost of that quote and the initial find/crosslink Justin. As I said on the other thread, I'm definitely eager to see how he does it and what the results look like on our headlights.

From the ad on his site, if he's that good and can deliver for ~$500, I suspect he's about to have a bunch of business coming his way

I wound up quoting what I did based on the materials I used/found for my build and the fact I don't do this for a living, so it takes a lot of my time that I could be using for other things, like riding
for sure, for someone who does it as a business, they can do it for cheaper since they do a lot and such... but yeah Im still planning on having it done as long as I dont crash before then.. I will keep everyone posted.

Old October 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #77
Maniac0908
ninjette.org member

Justin- what thread is his quote on?

Paul- ya im serious about this. But im a college student and money is tight so it might take me a while to get all tge parts together. If you have time and want to kill it a list of parts needed would be great.

Old October 6th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #78
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Justin- what thread is his quote on?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Paul- ya im serious about this. But im a college student and money is tight so it might take me a while to get all tge parts together. If you have time and want to kill it a list of parts needed would be great.
Heh, no worries man. Been there, done that. I'm now employed full-time on campus doing research, but money's still tight

I'll start gathering the list. It's by no means what ya have to use (minus one or two items, where I don't know of an alternative) but it's what I did and it worked

Some of the stuff will probably be skipped or just generally listed, like bolt sizes, simply because I don't remember anymore, but that's just a ~$10 run to the local hardware store.

If you wind up going the way of the commercial do-it-for-you guy, it's no prob.

Old October 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #79
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

ha im broke too but Im not gonna chance something like this to my stupid ass... lol

Old October 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #80
Maniac0908
ninjette.org member

Ok cool. Thanks a lot paul