ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 6th, 2019, 05:35 PM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Need advice on a part I want to buy (Replacing my Muzzy Exhaust)

So long story short some woman backed into my baby and I got the insurance payout today. I really want to replace my Muzzy tip because she hit it and dented it up pretty good, honestly surprised there’s no leak lol.
This appears to be identical to mine, which I’ll post a picture of. But the part has the extra end on it probably because it came off a BMW and it was for fitting purposes. I don’t need it. Messaged the guy he said he in-scenes the bolts shown and he was able to move it in and out and around. He just didn’t want to pull it off. But I’m assuming that it’s removable no problem and it’s just those bolts holding it there.

First here’s a picture of the damaged one on my bike right now.

Here’s the one I want to buy

And here’s the extra piece I was talking about

Used yellow scribbling so you know exactly what piece I want to remove

Thanks for any and all advice!

Old April 6th, 2019, 07:51 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Looks like should fit with extra piece removed? I'd confirm following:

- length of canister
- OD of inlet (even better, ID of inlet with extra piece removed

Compare those numbers with what you have on yours.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2019, 07:08 AM   #3
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Looks like should fit with extra piece removed? I'd confirm following:

- length of canister
- OD of inlet (even better, ID of inlet with extra piece removed

Compare those numbers with what you have on yours.
Good ideas, thanks!

Old April 7th, 2019, 07:44 AM   #4
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Looks like it's just clamped on there. Worse case you can have it cut and welded (assuming it's not titanium).

Old April 7th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #5
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
If it's not exact inlet-pipe dimensions, it looks like you would be able to unbolt inlet-cap from her muffler and swap it into replacement one.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2019, 12:04 PM   #6
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
If it's not exact inlet-pipe dimensions, it looks like you would be able to unbolt inlet-cap from her muffler and swap it into replacement one.
That would be the easiest thing to do and I’m thinking that’s probably the case. Thanks.

Old April 30th, 2019, 09:32 AM   #7
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

He keeps lowering the price. Honestly think that this one is identical to mine it just has a different fitting. I should be able to just swap it. @Ram Jet what do you think?

Old April 30th, 2019, 09:50 AM   #8
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Ok so I found another one and you can clearly see that it’s just those bolts holding that extra piece in place. So it looks like it’s gonna work.

I also asked him to measure the circumference of this part so I can confirm they’re identical. Length-wise they’re a match.

Old April 30th, 2019, 11:22 AM   #9
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
He keeps lowering the price. Honestly think that this one is identical to mine it just has a different fitting. I should be able to just swap it. @Ram Jet what do you think?
I can't see what "he's lowering his price" on. Maybe this website is mucking-up?

Uncle Bill

Old April 30th, 2019, 11:30 AM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I can't see what "he's lowering his price" on. Maybe this website is mucking-up?

Uncle Bill
OK, after leaving my last message I can see you're referring to, a Muzzy muffler. Man, it's hard to tell if it will fit your bike. You could take a chance and make it fit with a-little welding or ask him to measure the pipe exactly and give you the dimensions. Are you running stock mufflers now? Why do you want to change your exhaust? Sorry, I'm coming in late to this discussion.

Uncle Bill

Old April 30th, 2019, 01:08 PM   #11
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
OK, after leaving my last message I can see you're referring to, a Muzzy muffler. Man, it's hard to tell if it will fit your bike. You could take a chance and make it fit with a-little welding or ask him to measure the pipe exactly and give you the dimensions. Are you running stock mufflers now? Why do you want to change your exhaust? Sorry, I'm coming in late to this discussion.

Uncle Bill
I already have a Muzzy. The bike came with a full Muzzy. But a lady recently backed into it and did some damage to it and I want to replace it. This happened a month ago and I got the cash from her insurance. Just something I want to replace it because she crunched it up pretty good and it looks like CRAP!

Old April 30th, 2019, 01:24 PM   #12
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

So let me get this straight. Muzzy makes mufflers for every bike? There’s nothing universal about them? I mean it looks identical to mine.

Edit: it appears the inlet sizes do vary mine is around 6 and his is 7.5. Upsetting. An inch and a half! Lol
But would the tightening of the clamp clean up the 1.5inches?

I suppose I could throw like a two Bro’s slip on the pipe as long as the inlet size is the same?

Old May 2nd, 2019, 08:19 AM   #13
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

I think I’m going to take a chance on it and hopefully the inlet caps will swap out. If so no problems then. Otherwise I guess I’m not out money but it becomes my burden to resell it.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 09:36 AM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
I think I’m going to take a chance on it and hopefully the inlet caps will swap out. If so no problems then. Otherwise I guess I’m not out money but it becomes my burden to resell it.
I didn't see my last post here. I did mention that you could drill-out the rivets on the inlet pipe on both mufflers and install the old inlet pipe on the new muffler with "Pop" rivets.

Uncle Bill

Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:17 AM   #15
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I didn't see my last post here. I did mention that you could drill-out the rivets on the inlet pipe on both mufflers and install the old inlet pipe on the new muffler with "Pop" rivets.

Uncle Bill
So even if it’s not as simple as swapping out the caps, this should be a definite possibility? His inlet cap measures 14.5 around and mine is 14. But I think that half in difference is because he didn’t pull the tape measure as tight as I did. He sent a picture. I think I’m gonna T.Y. and y’all him down just a little more and then take a chance.

Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:42 AM   #16
Ram Jet

Quote:
So even if it’s not as simple as swapping out the caps, this should be a definite possibility? His inlet cap measures 14.5 around and mine is 14. But I think that half in difference is because he didn’t pull the tape measure as tight as I did. He sent a picture. I think I’m gonna T.Y. and y’all him down just a little more and then take a chance.
If anybody can do it YOU can!!!!!

Uncle Bill

Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:23 AM   #17
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If anybody can do it YOU can!!!!!

Uncle Bill
Well possibly with a little help from you! Learned everything I know from you and proud of it! Probably saved myself hundreds alone this spring by becoming a DIY gal. Aside from taking the upper headlight plastics on and off, working on your bike is actually enjoyable. I’m not saying everything about it is, but much of it. It’s also very rewarding for anyone man or woman not to have to take it to a shop. Their hourly rates have become ridiculous!

Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:42 AM   #18
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Was able to get it for $250 so I’m stoked! At least if it doesn’t work for some really odd reason (but I’m gonna make it work lol) I can re-sell it. He started at $400 and I got him at $250. Feels great to feel great about a purchase especially one over $200! Thanks everyone for your responses. @Ram Jet always so helpful! Now you gotta stand-by for me if I need ya like always! Lol

Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:32 PM   #19
Ram Jet

Quote:
Was able to get it for $250 so I’m stoked! At least if it doesn’t work for some really odd reason (but I’m gonna make it work lol) I can re-sell it. He started at $400 and I got him at $250. Feels great to feel great about a purchase especially one over $200! Thanks everyone for your responses. @Ram Jet always so helpful! Now you gotta stand-by for me if I need ya like always! Lol
Well that beats the hell out of my $450.00 Yoshimura mufflers. I'll be here.

Uncle Bill