Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old April 16th, 2019, 12:19 PM   #41
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Dave..sorry. Save your pennies, a red will turn up sooner than later, be ready to pounce when the right one comes along. You'll know it.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2019, 10:37 PM   #42
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2015 zx10r, 2010 Ducati 848

Ducati's are like Ferraris, they should ONLY come in red!! Lol Beautiful bikes! When I was bike shopping a month or 2 ago, I had it narrowed down to this Ducati or an R1. As my
last bike was an R1 and I've never had a poster of an R1 hanging on my wall, I made a decision from the heart and bought the Duc

Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2019, 10:41 PM   #43
Tooch
ninjette.org member

I've only gotten a couple hundred miles in on it. I'm still trying to adjust to the ultra-low (to me) red line

Old April 17th, 2019, 07:43 AM   #44
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Be-yooty. Much more than enough for a street machine. Mileage?

Have you explored the dealer price of a full service (valves and belts) yet?

Old April 17th, 2019, 02:24 PM   #45
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Had one of these 20-yrs ago. Great bike with awesome feel. Then CBR600RR came out and that was it.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2019, 04:32 PM   #46
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
916? year?

Old April 17th, 2019, 08:11 PM   #47
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

It's 1999 748, had it for 5-years. Best bike I ever had up to that point. More crisp than VF500F.

Then CBR600RR came out with 50-lbs lighter wet-weight and 25% more power. Made Duc feel kinda... agricultural in comparison. Kinda like driving regular 911 in comparison to an F-40. Nothing wrong with Porsche, it does everything competently. Just doesn't have extreme screaming adrenaline-rush that Ferrari has. Did back-to-back at Laguna Seca with friend's CBR600RR and I was sold; 5-sec/lap is significant. In fact, all my fastest times at all tracks have been on my CBR600RR.

Tried getting back on Italian bike last year with Aprilia's RSV4 demo-day @ Thunderhill. Nope, didn't like it one bit. Even though it went 60mph faster on straights than Ninja 250, it just didn't have crisp scalpel feel of Ducatis. Too many electronics changing things around behind scenes and it felt like I was controlling bike with rubbery puppet-strings. Twist throttle and there'd be fraction-second time-delay, with non-linear response. Same with brakes, awesome initial deceleration splattering tear-drops onto face-shield, but additional-squeeze resulted in nothing (ABS says, "no-no-no, you don't want to go there"). Made it difficult to trail-brake into corners.

All these electronic aids for our own good, makes bikes not as enjoyable. Feels like you're being taken for ride on back-seat, rather than riding and controlling bike itself.

Old April 17th, 2019, 09:19 PM   #48
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
Be-yooty. Much more than enough for a street machine. Mileage?

Have you explored the dealer price of a full service (valves and belts) yet?
Thanks! Well, sure, it's plenty lol. But I'm used to inline 4's and they're screaming top end. I find myself hitting the rev limiter getting onto the highway and looking down thinking something is wrong lol

Valve check, adjustment and belt service is crazy expensive.... It's like $1000-$1200 a pop, depending on the dealership Doing that every 15000 miles is nuts. I'll be doing the valve/belt services myself I do believe lol

Old April 17th, 2019, 11:21 PM   #49
DannoXYZ

Definitely learn to do it yourself, not that difficult.

I had shop do it 1st time around for me, ouch! Then I figured out how to do it myself next time.

Old April 18th, 2019, 06:16 AM   #50
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Duc forum owners report the new Multistrada major service in the $1800 range!

Owning 2 older, air cooled desmodue (2 valve) SS....I invested in an EMS Ducati valve shim kit,
totally eliminating "chasing" needed shims.

Also converted to MBP collets on the older '95, eliminates the half ring retainers, which consistently get pounded...thus changing clearances. MBP collets tend to stabilize the valvetrain, *greatly* increasing mileage between actual shim changes.

A set of MBP awaits installation on my newer SS800 during the future 6000 mile valve check.

Hey, I'm clearly showing my age here, but I'm convinced more than ever the older air cooled, Desmodue boomers are " 'da bomb".

Last futzed with by ducatiman; April 18th, 2019 at 09:07 AM.

Old April 18th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #51
DannoXYZ

Yep!!! For exact same reasons, air-cooled Porsches have appreciated in value dramatically in recent years. Many of them are more valuable now than they were when new (even when adjusted to today’s dollar).

Old April 18th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #52
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
On Ducati forum, I'm reading guys are snatching up mid 90's Supersports left and right, from west to east coast. For those few members who are choosing to sell theirs...they don't last long on the market at all, a few days the norm.

Can't explain why the increased demand of late, other than what I've already posted on the SS good points. There is clearly a common, long term attraction to this particular series of machine. Safe to say they have reached "late model classic" desirable status. Understandable, i guess.

Old April 20th, 2019, 08:15 AM   #53
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
No idea of bare frame weight, never had a need nor want to know.

The attraction of 900SS is the total package, combination of Italian styling, low weight, aural appeal, suspension, handling, reliable, serviceable, dead simple, torquey output air cooled Desmodue powerplant...on and on. Those legendary Ducati engineers designed the whole package just right, IMHO. The machine still sought after, a huge following. Don't want nor need any new, complex, computerized controlled everything, new fangled stuff.
The light weight is what appeals to me most on the SS series followed closely by the style then the simplicity of the entire bike eslecially that 2valve motor. The 900 will get smoked in a straight line by any of the 600cc super sports but they carve corners like they are on rails and the bottomless always available torque those motors pump out makes them ideal foe the street. I have 2 water cooled ducs already and I have been trying to decide between a 250 2 stroke or a 900SS as my next bike. Really tough decision as I have wanted both for years. The Duc is the better choice but the appeal of something as rare as a NSR, TZR or RGV is nearly irresistable. The Duc would be half the price and half the maintainance but a 300 lb 50hp 2 stoke....well I dont need to say any more on that. I have seen people get their 900SS down to 370-360 lbs with lots of work and money so the potential is there. Still a tough decision for me.
I am still jealous of your SS and the VFR also as that would be #4 in my stable if I could convince my wife to allow any more bikes. Honday reliability in a beautiful, great handeling chassis plus the smooth power of the V4 and the wonderful sound they make opened up!
The only possible negative is the weight but I have ridden a couple of versions (700 800 and 1200) and they hide it well. Love your collection of bikes and I will post up once I chose between 2 stroke or air cooled
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2019, 09:05 AM   #54
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
As I'm a street rider, even moreso as I'm ageing...outright top speed, power are meaningless considerations to ongoing ownership. If so, I'd have transitioned to any number of big bore 4 banger HonZuKawi options. No thanky.

Fully respect your considerations of ultra rare, collectible, lightweight smokers.

Your comments on "THE" V4 right on the mark. Its the late 90's, pre-cat, gear driven cam, FI model....if only Honda could have trimmed the weight down. Honda came real close...but again, a nod to Ducati on the "total package".

Ducati gets key for the twisty, sporty stuff.
But when longer highway drones are called for...the VFR lights up. They perfectly compliment one another.

Thank you for comments on my choices, you are *right there* as well with mature, well thought out, potent examples in your group. Please DO post up when further additions/changes occur!