ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 27th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Unhappy Hearing loss and buzzing with earplugs!? what to do?

Ok so I have been riding with a joe rocket middle of the road helmet. Loud as hell. I plan on upgrading to say an RF-1100 next spring also which should help.
but I have only been on maybe 5 highway rides without earplugs before i started coming to my senses and now i ride with these.

now properly inserted and sized, these plugs are recommended for wind/pressure while maintaining clarity of speech. The problem comes with the plugs when i get off my bike it sounds like i just got out of a rock concert/can hear the ocean for a good 10-15 min afterward. I also have very very mild tinnitus from drumming for years but only flares up after rides or drumming without protection. (which i dont do anymore)

Whats going on here??? it almost feels better to ride without plugs as i dont get the noise afterward. Do i need different ones? helmet upgrade? is there another type of earplug thats better for wind/pressure/vibration related strain on the ear??
Advice greatly appreciated.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Definitely check out the Do You Use Earplugs When You Ride? thread for some suggestions. What you're experiencing is a little strange, and it's certainly not a good idea to go without plugs (which is guaranteed to cause more damage on any highway ride of any reasonable distance). Try a bunch of different types of earplugs until you find ones that are comfortable, work well, and don't seem to cause this weirdness afterwards. Somewhere in that thread is a link to a sample pack where you can try 15 or 20 different types at once for a very small amount of $.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #3
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...765137&sr=8-10

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...9765153&sr=8-2

I use both of these, the first ones fit me better though.

Both do a good job of preventing hearing loss. You may not be able to hear as well when not riding, but I can still hear car horns and sirens with both of these

Also, I have Etymotic HF5's(GREAT IEMS btw....), they have tri-phalanged ear tips as well as the ones you showed. You really have to put them pretty far in for them to seat properly. Also with them in you should be able to notice a loss in outisde noise immediately. They're somewhat annoying at first to fit correctly. Try opening your mouth and pulling your ear back while twisting them in.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I don't use any
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

maybe try different ear plugs before you go ahead and buy an entire new helmet.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #6
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

nor do I but I only ride to work. Ill throw em in as soon as I get some freeway riddin it
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

yeah have tried a few different varieties. I have odd shaped ear canals also. gonna invest in some custom molded ones. more $ but gotta find something better. anyone have experience? also upgrading to a new helmet anyhow, need a better fit.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #8
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Friend of mine got me some of these from work.
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...783044&sr=8-19

They work wonderfully and go deep into the ear because the cord gives it a little bit more stiffness. At my destination i just tie it around my neck like a scarf. I've tried many different brands and styles and this one is the easiest to get in for me and seals the most so far.

In response to the OP. It is possible that your ears after using earplugs, got used to the quietness and regained some sensitivity. That extra sensitivity might seem like you are hearing more noise because in essence you are. Do you wear them with the plugs in? I have a pair of those as well and I think without the plugs they dont block out enough sound for my tastes.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #9
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

I know it's a pita sometimes, especially commuting to work everyday, but hearing loss is a cumulative thing, most of the time you don't even notice it's happening. Of course I guess I find my helmet to be quite noisy, and I'm so used to wearing them all the time, it's just part of my putting my gear on, I can do it in 30 seconds
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #10
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Sev,

I'm riding with a RF-1100, and the EP3's currently..... I'll probably need to get some different plugs because my EP3's don't seal very well in my right ear canal... they'll be fine when I put them on... but when I put my helmet on the seal breaks, and when I start to ride I can hear the high pitch wind noise in my helmet...

What you are describing when you ride with EP3, or EP4 doesn't sound normal.. I know that when my ear plugs are sealing correctly with my helmet on... the wind, motor, and road noise are dramatically reduced so much so that when I arrive at my destination after a 30 minute ride and I pull my head gear off I haven't had any hearing adjustment problems....

I'm not familiar with your helmet so I can't tell you if getting a RF-1100 will help or not..... But speaking for myself, my RF-1100 fits great, plenty of ventilation while moving so fogging isn't an issue, I plan on getting another Shoei lid this winter..

I'm going to venture that your plugs may not be totally sealing your ear canal as they should be... I know that to be true in my case... I think my problem maybe my ear canal may need a custom ear plug for a proper seal.. I'll probably look into a customer molded type ear protection for myself now.

You may want to try a bunch of other types of ear plugs first, you may not need a new lid.... and relatively speaking compared to the cost of a new lid... cost for earplugs are cheap, and cheap insurance against further hearing loss.

Old October 28th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #11
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Having a shoei or arai decal on your helmet does not mean sound proof. In fact the RF's are loud to me. For my head, the moment I put on a Scorpion was when i knew silence was mine, no plugs needed. If/when I did use them I went with bees and parrafin waxes mixed, custom fit and 8 plugs for $9.99 at hunting supply. Now they're at my bedside for sleepless nights.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Howard Leight MAX foam earplugs are the world's best.

Avoid anything else if preservation of your hearing is serious business for you.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
Having a shoei or arai decal on your helmet does not mean sound proof. In fact the RF's are loud to me. For my head, the moment I put on a Scorpion was when i knew silence was mine, no plugs needed. If/when I did use them I went with bees and parrafin waxes mixed, custom fit and 8 plugs for $9.99 at hunting supply. Now they're at my bedside for sleepless nights.
What model?

Old October 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #14
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

If you mean what Scorpion, the 700, which was one of only 2 made (400 & 700). Hit 5 years old and I was gifted with a nice Icon before choosing a new one myself, and can't "re-gift."
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote