Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Chadi

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Feedback on gear

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get your feedback on a couple of gear items I bought used last year. The boots are not too bad, they're made out of leatherish material but nothing hard, got them used for like $25. Is that enough support or do you recommend a more rigidly constructed boot. I only ride weekends and won't probably take long trips (for now at least).

The gloves are summer gloves and I doubt their durability. I don't want to spend $200 on a new pair and there so many choices, what do you recommend in the sub $100 range?

Jacket: I bought it last year from ebay, I think it's ok will probably upgrade next year

I'm also thinking about upgrading my helmet but I think I'm ok with this one, right?

Actually I bought a Gmax GM-68

I've also bought the following:
AGV Sport Solare Vented Pants

Alpinestars Comp Pro Shorts

Knox TP2 Advance X CE Back Protector

Olympia Nova 2 HiViz Safety Vest

So to summarize my questions are:
1- Should I replace the boots?
2- Which gloves do you recommend (under $100)?
3- Any feedback/advice on the other gear?

Thanks!
Ninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
You have some good value gear there. Across the board, for the price, good levels of protection. I like the way you think (you cheap bastard!). One of my favorite things is to hunt for good protective gear at value. GMax GM68 is among best value helmets out there, the jacket (which is an Xelement/LeatherUp house brand, btw) gives you good features for the $, and I'm particularly impressed with the deal you got on the boots. Hein Gericke gear has a pretty good reputation, and at $25 those boots are a steal. Not going to be as protective as a full race boot, but going to be fine for a touring or commuting boot. They are probably more protective than they appear, too. The hiprotec product is an uber thin CE rated padding that I'm guessing they have in the ankles.

If you are looking for great protection at a good price gloves, you can find very good value here: Kobe Pro Racing Gloves $99.

As a warning, I've tried on a pair (don't own them) and they were awesome on features and protection, and for the price simply unbelievable value, but feel was a bit lacking because of thick leather and the metal studs used for sliders. I'm totally going to buy a pair, but heads up. If you don't want to go with a race look like that (it seems your taste may be more subtle and lower cost.) You might also want to think about checking out Cycle Gear. If value and decent protection for money is your goal over hard core race protection performance, they have very good options for less than even the Kobe gloves, like the Sedici Corsa gloves for $50. The Corsa has a lifetime guarantee, a nice closure system that will make sure the gloves stay on in crash, and extra reinforcement in key area along the palm and little finger - features usually found in more expensive gloves. Across the board, Cycle Gear's Sedici Gear competes well with mid-up market gear at a much better price. As it happens Sedici gear is on sale now.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; March 10th, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

You're right on the money (pun intended), I do like to buy cheap/good value stuff.

The Sedici gloves that you recommended are great! I'm definitely going to get me a pair.

Thanks for the feedback

Old March 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

HG gear is pretty good, you got them used so they're not a $25 pair of boots if ya get me...

I don't see them in the current lineup but their boots range from £80 to £220,

I dont know canadian brands or prices, but Alpinestars do gloves with decent protection, as do Richa (IDK if you can get Richa in Canada, but they're well priced for their level of armour)

Knox armour is very good (pity their gloves aren't always the same quality)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Thanks Whiskey, I was not aware of the HG brand, in fact I thought the brand was Hiprotec

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

So I just received the stuff I ordered today. Everything is great except for the AGV Solare pants. My size usually runs between L and XL so I ordered the Large. Length was perfect, calves were perfect, knee pads were perfect, waist was perfect, but the thighs and hips were extremely tight I wonder if it's the model I got or if AGV run European sizes or it's just my legs?

So now I have to send them back to Revzilla, not sure the XL will be a good fit so I'm looking into alternatives. Do you know of any brands that offer pants that are a little generous around the thigh area?

Old March 11th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Here you go, Thunder Thighs: http://www.nutrisystem.com/jsps_hmr/...requestid=8123

Good call going with RevZilla, as the returns are no hassle and customer service is great. The pants were the only thing I wasn't thrilled with of all your gear anyway. As a fellow cheap bastard, you will appreciate my favorite place to shop for high quality cheap gear: ADV Rider's used gear flea market. You have to sign up on the board to see the Flea Market, though. Better selection than eBay or Craigslist from a group that, as a whole, values performance and quality.

You might also think about Tourmaster stuff. Decent quality for the price across the Tourmaster line. Their overpants are sized for Canadians with a thing for poutine. You can pick up Tourmaster Quest overpants (waterproof but not super breathable) for $75. I find the styling pretty meh, though the protection is good $ for value.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #8
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I'm afraid that's not going to help I don't have fat thighs, it's all muscle

As for the Tourmaster pants, I think they look a bit "old". I'll either get the next size up or exchange the shorts for armoured shorts and get Kevlar jeans with knee armour.

Good find on the ADV marketplace , too bad the sizes and status (sold/not sold) are not obvious.

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #9
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I wear my thick cowhide sap gloves for dual protection. Lead powdered fingers provide ample protection in more ways than one. Also have a weakness for icon gloves though overpriced, love there looks. On a budget get Olympia Glove Co. gloves (not clothier co.) Vanson air max best jacket for summer, where i am year round, sidi air boot as well and great prices. Camo aramid kevlar cargos and Scorpion helmets.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote