ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

How important is seat comfort to you?

My li'l 250, though I do love it, really stinks with comfort on rides longer than 30 minutes. I don't have any padding back there (attached to me), and I feel it.

Do the upgraded seats really help? Even if it is softer, and more plush, I don't feel it would be sufficient if it is the same width.

Could I deal with the little 250 on race day? Yes. Hanging off the seat, I could easily handle it for a race/track day.

For daily stuff, I think I need more support. How about you all?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

The Corbin is a little wider, doesn't slope into the tank as much and feels roomier than the stock seat. For me the difference was worth the extra $$$, especially on long rides.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I know a little bit about ergonomics.

Padding is MUCH less important than shape. A properly shaped hard seat is much much more comfortable over the long term than a padded seat that has a poor underlying shape.

Specifically, a seat should allow relief for the "points" of your pelvis, which are sometimes called "sit bones." They're where you get hotspots when you sit for a long time.

Here's an example of a seat that offers such relief. Remarkably comfortable.

Or, for a different take on a seat that offers proper support, take a look at an old-fashioned tractor seat sometime. No padding, yet quite comfortable.

So, a comfortable bike seat should provide a wide enough and curved enough platform to support your butt properly, first and foremost. Padding is secondary.

I don't own a 250 (yet), but I did have an EX500. The seat shell was basically just flat, with a couple of inches of padding on it. Painful. Looking at the new 250, the seat looks like it'd be better. It's wider and more dished.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I know a little bit about ergonomics.

Padding is MUCH less important than shape. A properly shaped hard seat is much much more comfortable over the long term than a padded seat that has a poor underlying shape.

Specifically, a seat should allow relief for the "points" of your pelvis, which are sometimes called "sit bones." They're where you get hotspots when you sit for a long time.

Here's an example of a seat that offers such relief. Remarkably comfortable.

Or, for a different take on a seat that offers proper support, take a look at an old-fashioned tractor seat sometime. No padding, yet quite comfortable.

So, a comfortable bike seat should provide a wide enough and curved enough platform to support your butt properly, first and foremost. Padding is secondary.

I don't own a 250 (yet), but I did have an EX500. The seat shell was basically just flat, with a couple of inches of padding on it. Painful. Looking at the new 250, the seat looks like it'd be better. It's wider and more dished.
Great info.

Some think that people ride how they ride. In other words, some want to work on good form, body positioning, etc. and others just sit where they sit.

I try to keep my weight off of the seat. But, then again, I only ride for 3 hours or less, so for longer trips, one may wish to get the correct seat.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

It is almost impossible for a manufacturer to come up with a "universal" seat. All of us have sit bones that are different widths. When we fit bicyle seats, we have the customer sit on a piece of closed cell foam that has a slow memory (in their underwear) The sit bones make an indentation and we measure the distance between these indentations. The width of your stock seat may be fine, but if it curves down where your sit bones are, you will definitely not be comfortable. As was mentioned earlier, padding is not the issue--shape is. I have heard good things about Corbin. Their seats are a high quality item. I would contact them and see what they require for measurements. It is not surprising--same reason we sell bicycles without seats and pedals.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Actually, I find that the seat isn't the problem for me....but the cramped leg positioning. But then again my rear end comes with extra padding
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
It is almost impossible for a manufacturer to come up with a "universal" seat. All of us have sit bones that are different widths. When we fit bicyle seats, we have the customer sit on a piece of closed cell foam that has a slow memory (in their underwear) The sit bones make an indentation and we measure the distance between these indentations. The width of your stock seat may be fine, but if it curves down where your sit bones are, you will definitely not be comfortable. As was mentioned earlier, padding is not the issue--shape is. I have heard good things about Corbin. Their seats are a high quality item. I would contact them and see what they require for measurements. It is not surprising--same reason we sell bicycles without seats and pedals.
I've sat on a few FZR's, a versys, V-Rod, BMW adventure bike, and a few others. I think the 250 is physically just too small for me. Like you said, the shape is just all wrong. Even with a slightly wider seat I don't think it would work. I think the only way to remedy the problem is to upgrade, and I don't mean the seat.

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #8
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I've sat on a few FZR's, a versys, V-Rod, BMW adventure bike, and a few others. I think the 250 is physically just too small for me. Like you said, the shape is just all wrong. Even with a slightly wider seat I don't think it would work. I think the only way to remedy the problem is to upgrade, and I don't mean the seat.
Sounds like you need a Gay Wing (I mean Gold Wing).

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #9
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Sounds like you need a Gay Wing (I mean Gold Wing).
Oh no you didn't!!!!

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Tintkng
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r

oh man....he busted out the gold wing

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #11
ninjammin
ninjette.org member