ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #1
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Tire Advice - Mixing and matching tires??

Well I got a huge 1/2" screw in my front tire which are the stock Dunlop K630s. I want to replace the front with a BT45 as I really don't want to spend the bread on the rear tire.

However a few friends of mine have told me to switch both but they couldn't say why? I figure as long as the front is stickier which I'm sure it would be in this case I'm good right?

Advise me please - right now the tire is sealed with some sealant from Autozone and its holding pressure.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If the rear has plenty of tread on it and you're happy with it, I'd change out the front now and change the rear when it needs it. Personally I couldn't stand the K630's and got them off as soon as I possibly could anyway. There isn't anything inherently unsafe about having a BT45 in front and a K630 in the rear as long as both are in good condition and have proper pressure.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #3
djpharoah
\m/

Honestly I never was happy with the tires as they always seemed twitchy and used to ride in every road snake but this isnt how I planned on doing it.

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I did the same thing but I replaced the rear first with sport demons and then several hundred miles later when the front finaly wore out I replaced it. I had no issues with the mixing of the two brands.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I am running a new sport demon on my front and stock GT501 rear with 14000kms and I have not noticed any issues.

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #6
kkim

can someone explain why on cars they discourage the practice of mounting different tires front and rear to avoid odd handling characteristics, but on bikes it is perfectly acceptable?

seems to me, on bikes it would be even more critical to have matching tires from the same manufacturer front and rear to avoid weird handling.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
can someone explain why on cars they discourage the practice of mounting different tires front and rear to avoid odd handling characteristics, but on bikes it is perfectly acceptable?

seems to me, on bikes it would be even more critical to have matching tires from the same manufacturer front and rear to avoid weird handling.
I think generally, front and back tires don't need to match on a car, but both front tires should be the same, both rear tires should be the same to avoid any pulling to the side. With an all-wheel-drive car, it's recommended to have all matching tires of similar tread depth because of the way they transfer drive away from wheels that the car perceives to be slipping.

Old May 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-be-Good View Post
I think generally, front and back tires don't need to match on a car, but both front tires should be the same, both rear tires should be the same to avoid any pulling to the side. With an all-wheel-drive car, it's recommended to have all matching tires of similar tread depth because of the way they transfer drive away from wheels that the car perceives to be slipping.
That's not my understanding...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=136

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #9
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

I try to match tire profiles in regards to motorcycle tires. I have a Continental Sport Attack tire on the front of the TL, and a Conti Road Attack on the rear. In the past I have mixed different brands with no ill effects, but I did try to keep the tire profiles as close as possible to each other.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If you talk to the tire manufacturers or the motorcycle manufacturers, you're likely to get a response in line with your thoughts. But in practice, people have been doing it since motorcycles have been invented with little ill effects. I'm sure there are instances where things can get weird (radial on one end, bias-ply on the other; or perhaps supersticky diagonal profile race tire on front and squared off rockhard touring tire on back), but as long as the tires are more similar than that, I wouldn't stress.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #11
djpharoah
\m/

Well if I do this I will have a bias-ply in the rear and a radial in the front which on the internet is considered a big no-no. What do you all think?

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #12
kkim

the bt45 is a bias ply tire.

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

As are the GT501's, the Sport Demons, and several other of the recommended tires for the ninjette.

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #14
kkim

Not that I'm disagreeing with what you posted (I would never do that!), but I was referring to his original post which he said he wanted to use a bt45 in the front. guess he thought the bt45 was a radial.

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I was agreeing with you, no worries.

Old May 29th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #16
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I would go with, No riding in the rain & no pushing the limits. Miss matching f to r should be fine.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you just do wheelies and stoppies it shouldn't make much of a difference if the front and back are different since you will only be on one tire most of the time.

Old May 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #18
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
If you just do wheelies and stoppies it shouldn't make much of a difference if the front and back are different since you will only be on one tire most of the time.
I can't fault that logic!
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #19
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-be-Good View Post
Same tires at all 4 corners recommended for ABS cars as well, unless from factory car as different sized tires on front vs rear (G35coupe, vette, others).
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #20
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

From what I hear best to keep profiles on front and rear as close as possible as some will have more of a "step" from straight up to lean than others. Some might argue that if the compounds are different then the front and rears might have different levels of grip, but often times bikes have a different feel in a corner between the front and rear tires, even with a "matched" pair and proper pressure. Now when I worked in a bike shop (and its been a while) people came in and bought 1 tire. Now its almost treated like a crime to want to buy 1 tire.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #21
djpharoah
\m/

I got a Bridgestone G547 at 100/90-16. The garage owner was flipping out over it being a 90 aspect ratio vs 80 stock. It was fine as its the same size+ratio as the BT45 which while nice I didn't see spending the extra money necessary on this bike.

So yay - I'm back on my bike and I've got a 100mile break-in process. Thanks guys/gals.