ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Reason 5334 you shouldn't ride when tired.

Was driving home today and I hadn't slept that well today and I felt a bit off. Was almost home when I was going too fast and a car in front of me stepped on the brakes very quickly.

I was able to slow down my bike (rear tire wobbled, looks like my rear brake line was loose and made my tire a bit slippery or another strike by the stock tires ) and only ended up love tapping/ bumping into the car in front of me with no damage to either of us. So thankfully no police/ insurance had to get involved.

Going to take a nap on campus before I commute home from now on if I ever have another day like this.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
More front brake, less rear brake
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
More front brake, less rear brake
Can't tell if trolling, or giving good advice
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That's legitimate good advice. If the back wheel didn't come off the ground, the front brake could have been used more. The rear brake is going to lock up in that situation, so the front brake is your friend.

Tofu, glad you and the bike are alright. This could have ended worse. Good lesson at a relatively low price.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
More rear brake, less front brake.

How about now?
AFM #676

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

I applied both brakes to their limits and the rear tire (if it didn't slip because of fluids) more than I should.

I think the solution here is not to speed, give myself room, and not to ride tired.

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Oh so you applied the front brake 100% and the rear brake 0%?

I must have misinterpreted your original post
AFM #676

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Oh so you applied the front brake 100% and the rear brake 0%?

I must have misinterpreted your original post
I guess I didn't mention it in my first post, but I used both brakes.

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Panic stop = Front brake only
AFM #676

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

i havent used my rear brake since i laid er down
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Fun fact, if you had used only the rear brake you wouldn't have laid it down
AFM #676

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Tired is a big no no. My first BIG lay down was in the canyons at 2am after a party. Sand around a sharp corner and BOOM ankle smeared all over the pavement. sux. I'm very you had the experience without the pain!

Old September 26th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
........Was almost home when I was going too fast and a car in front of me stepped on the brakes very quickly..........
Most accidents happen close to home (leaving and arriving), just because we tend to drop our guard on familiar roads.

I have fallen to sleep three times while driving, none riding.
Usually a 10-minute nap is enough to recharge batteries before a 1-hour trip.

You are very lucky, Monkeytofu.
Practice emergency braking on empty parking lots as frequently as you can.
20~30 mph is fast enough for those practices, the important thing to learn is the modulation of both brakes (or only front if you wish).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #14
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Panic stop = Front brake only
=Chin taking a nap into pavement.

BOTH BRAKES, EVERYTIME. Its been proven again and again that both brakes applied is the fastest way to stop, and the safest.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Uh no
AFM #676

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #16
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Subscribing just for the impeding braking discussion. Glad you were ok OP.

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ugh, this argument has been made here many times people.

Sure, the MSF people tell you to use both brakes. It's been shown that both brakes make you stop quicker. But don't forget, the difference was something like 4 [citation needed, someone please find the numbers for me] feet, which is negligible in comparison to how far you travel while decelerating.

One thing you should consider: when the front brake is being used to its full potential, the rear wheel is either bouncing off the ground, or chirping because it has so little weight on it that the engine is applying enough braking power to almost lock it up. Any rear brake at this point is going to massively lock up the rear wheel, making the chances of going down higher.

The other thing you need to consider is that the concentration it takes to get one wheel to the threshold of skidding is very high. To do both means that the average rider is not doing either wheel as well as they could.

This means that even though applying both brakes perfectly would stop you faster in theory, in a real-world situation where adrenaline and reaction times are huge factors, it is better in many cases to focus on one thing and do it well rather than trying to balance both brakes at once. That is why I use my rear brake for parking lots and smooth stops, but not for serious braking.

In this case, while Jiggles is being a little less eloquent in his delivery than he could be, he logic is still correct. Use the rear if you want to. Use the front if you want to. Heck, use both if you're feeling wild. But the fewer things you have to focus on during a true full-on panic stop, the better your results will be.

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Ugh, this argument has been made here many times people.

Sure, the MSF people tell you to use both brakes. It's been shown that both brakes make you stop quicker. But don't forget, the difference was something like 4 [citation needed, someone please find the numbers for me] feet, which is negligible in comparison to how far you travel while decelerating.

One thing you should consider: when the front brake is being used to its full potential, the rear wheel is either bouncing off the ground, or chirping because it has so little weight on it that the engine is applying enough braking power to almost lock it up. Any rear brake at this point is going to massively lock up the rear wheel, making the chances of going down higher.

The other thing you need to consider is that the concentration it takes to get one wheel to the threshold of skidding is very high. To do both means that the average rider is not doing either wheel as well as they could.

This means that even though applying both brakes perfectly would stop you faster in theory, in a real-world situation where adrenaline and reaction times are huge factors, it is better in many cases to focus on one thing and do it well rather than trying to balance both brakes at once. That is why I use my rear brake for parking lots and smooth stops, but not for serious braking.

In this case, while Jiggles is being a little less eloquent in his delivery than he could be, he logic is still correct. Use the rear if you want to. Use the front if you want to. Heck, use both if you're feeling wild. But the fewer things you have to focus on during a true full-on panic stop, the better your results will be.
+1

Some pedantic observations:

- Both brakes don't stop you faster in theory. It stops you faster period.

- The difference between using front and back and just front is negligible but missing the car by 1 inch is as good as missing the car by 10 feet.

I think the issues with these types of conversations are the people want to give a one size fits all solution. It may be best to give people all the facts, they can practice if they want, and then when/if the situation arises let the circumstances dictate the best course of action. (Front brake only, front and back, fred flintstone no brakes all feet.=)
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Locking up the rear wheel also takes away gyroscopic stability, not really something you want to risk losing while you're shitting yourself and trying to brake

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
Both brakes don't stop you faster in theory. It stops you faster period.
...yeah, until your back wheel is almost off the ground and chirping from the engine braking as it is. At that point, you can use the back brake, but you'll lock the back wheel. Then you're dealing with the coefficient of kinetic friction between the tire and ground, which is always less than the coefficient of static friction between the tire and ground, no matter what surface, temp, road condition, etc. The back brake has so little effect on braking distances at that point that it's not really worth it when you consider how much concentration it takes to modulate 2 brake levers with that much accuracy.

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #21
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
NO brakes, ride around the idiot in front of you.

Old September 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

brakes are for stopping, motorcycles are for going. quit being a pussy. front brake doesn't mean **** when the wheel is in the air

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.......and then when/if the situation arises let the circumstances dictate the best course of action.......
During a situation that really demands an emergency braking, the circumstances can dictate whatever is best, but there will be no ear there to listen to them.

Why not training for front brake only, applied in the most effective way,....that will always work for a panic stop.

If the stop is not that critical, so you have time and nerve to listen to the circumstances, add some rear brake and make the stop less safe but faster.

I fully support Jiggles' and Choneofakind's posts, the more dramatic the stop the unsafer touching the rear brake is.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
- Both brakes don't stop you faster in theory. It stops you faster period.

- The difference between using front and back and just front is negligible but missing the car by 1 inch is as good as missing the car by 10 feet.
Except this isn't as universal as you make it out to be. Countless magazine tests of supersport bikes have the test rider getting the shortest possible stop with front brake only. And sportbike riders specifically trained for how hard they can use the front brake, end up with shorter stopping distances afterwards when using just that one rather than both, according to the real-world experience of the trainers at the California Superbike School.

It's not that "rear brake = bad". It's that if you don't maximize your abilities and understand the capabilities of how hard the front can and should be used, nothing a rider can do with the rear brake will ever let the bike stop as shortly as possible.

This has been hashed, rehashed, unhashed, rehashed again for fun, and finally just hashed, in the rear-brake threads linked from the Riding Skills sticky at the top of that forum. Give them a read, and pipe up there; at least people can follow all of the different viewpoints in one place.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #25
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

never ride impaired...
not only will your reaction time be worse you'll over compensate.

i think you actually locked up the rear brake, the wobbling is the tire losing and regaining traction.

Old September 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #26
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Glad to hear that no damage was taken to either of you. Consider yourself lucky!
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote