ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Headlight Modulator

Hello All,

(I posted in the pre-gen section by accident, so this is a dupe)

Has anyone had any experience with:

http://www.headlightmodulator.com

or any other such mod, is the installation difficult?

Any thoughts on pros and cons of the mod?

Thanks!
Ash
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

I plan on getting one...what could it hurt?

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #3
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Ash - a search function on "modulator" would have given you threads to go look at.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ight=modulator
http://www.ddmiller.com/hlm/faq.asp

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #4
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I think that bikes kind of do that on their own don't they? I know on the road when bikes are behind me while I drive I used to get mad because I thought that the motorcyclist was flashing me constantly. amirite?
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
I think that bikes kind of do that on their own don't they?
no
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Ash
ninjette.org member

Thanks Old Guy, those links were really helpful!

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #7
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

I dont care if he thinks im flashing him. If he is thinking about me...he knows im there : D

Old May 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #8
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Thanks Old Guy, those links were really helpful!
No problem - safe riding.

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #9
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Hey Ash... I installed the Comagination h/ligh modulator last month. It's a very easy install, took 5 to 10 minutes. Put it on the high beam bulb. You can reach in and under to install from behind without removing any components of the bike provided its a 2008/09 N-250. Just be sure you order the modulator for H-7 bulb. Used velcro to attach the electric component to the fairing lip to right of bulb for storage and removal ease. Ran the sensor up the triple tree and zip tied it near the ignition switch to limit night time headlight activation from traffic headlights. It's a great little modulator... The Pathfinder is much the same attachment (more expensive as I remember)... the Signal Dynamics is a cut and splice which I wanted to limit all cut and splicing in an electrical system and a time consuming project. Use the "Back off" tail modulator as well... easy install 5 minutes. BTW... I use it for intersections, left turns with questionable oncoming vehicles and the odd pass by in traffic situations or people not paying attention exiting driveways or sideroads. Other than those situations, I keep it off with a flick of the high beam switch to limit the "bother" of drivers. Lord knows they can't handle driving, music, their cell phones and worry about a flashing modulator.... grrrrrr
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #10
Ash
ninjette.org member

Thanks Addy,

It really helps to have info from someone who has already worked on the mod. Did you get the D100H7 or the D115H7 kit?

Let me try and summarize how I imagine the system working:

To activate the modulation - turn the high beams on, and to turn off the modulation turn the high beams off.

If it is light out, the high beam modulation works, if it is dark then it is just plain high beams. When the high beam switch if off, then no modulation on the low beam lamp.

Is that about right?

My newborn niece is named Addy, short for Adelyn, just a FYI.

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #11
addy126

Congrats on the new edition "Adelyn"... <grin> ! As for the H/L Modulator.. I did not tie myself down to the mechanics of a D unit (dual). I wanted to simplify everything so I purchased the "sS115H7". It gives you a choice of either plugging it onto the "low" beam or "high" beam bulb. Once you plug it onto the H7 bulb and put the transistor in the decided hidden spot its ready to go with limited wiring. I chose the "high beam" as it has a wider arc than the "low". Turn on the high beam in the daylight and it modulates. Turn off the high beam and it stops. At dusk it will not turn on due to the sensor so you can operate on straight high beam at nite when you need to. I didn't want my low beam to modulate. So when its all in operation for me with this model... low beam stays on and high beam modulates beside it. I didn't want to get into the "dual" kits, and that really is just personal preference. You never want to modulate any beam at nite.... its against "the law".... you've got the general idea in your reply lol. It really is easy and a handy mod to have. If u don't want to mess with 2 bulb kits (duals) the single is really all you need on the high beam... have a great long weekend and enjoy!

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Ash
ninjette.org member

Thanks Addy,

I like that idea of not messing with the low beam and only modulate the high beam. I think I will do the SH115H7 as well. It would save a few bucks too!

Thx again!

Old May 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #13
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Where did you guys mount the sensor? Right now I just have it taped to the inside of the fairing next the windshield.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #14
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Moved it over to the clutch cable as the Federal regulation reads that it must be mounted horizontally.

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #15
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Moved it over to the clutch cable as the Federal regulation reads that it must be mounted horizontally.
I brought my sensor cable across the triple tree horizontal bar, circled it around the cables running 1/2 way up near the front brake fluid box then 4" black zip tied it against that cable. Wanted to ensure that it was blocked from right side traffic headlight, front traffic headlight and left side traffic headlight accidental activation. I can load a photo if you'd like. You now can barely see it where its been zip tied and has worked like a charm since I've installed it. No accidental activations at all. (I didn't want to drill holes into the fairings to accomodate flush installations)

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Ash
ninjette.org member

Pics would be great! I am expecting my modulator to arrive sometime this week. Thanks!

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM   #17
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Sure. I'll take some pics later. I love it BTW. There is definitely a big difference. I still toot the horn coming up to people waiting to make a left turn, but it is obvious I am MUCH more visible.

Old June 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM   #18
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Sure. I'll take some pics later. I love it BTW. There is definitely a big difference. I still toot the horn coming up to people waiting to make a left turn, but it is obvious I am MUCH more visible.
Zach... don't rely on it 100% for your safety. Horn combo use is good, but there is still the odd idiot that ignores the H/Light modulator and pull the left turn in front of you anyway.... or dart out of their driveway regardless. U still have to drive everyone's car (mentally) and your own bike at the same time.. its a shame but thats the way it goes..... Stay safe, have fun!