ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): 1993 ninja 250

Car cut in front of me and I smacked into them

So my wife and I were driving about 40 miles an hour and a car jumped in front of us trying to turn illegally and I had no choice but to run smack into their driver side door. It fractured my l2 vertabrae in my back, hurt my shoulder, and leg, and I have road rash on my left leg. My wife bit through her tongue and had 4 stiches and is sore. The bike has a bent shifter, the headlight and instrument cluster are shattered. The headlight bracket is busted, and the front fairing and front fender and all cracked and broke. Also the handlebars are broken off. Any advice? I wanna fix it as long as it takes granted the frame isnt bent and the forks are straight. Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninja1.jpg (98.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg ninja2.jpg (120.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg ninja3.jpg (129.5 KB, 62 views)
christbennett429 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Youch! It sounds like you are both incredibly lucky to get out of that accident with the just the injuries you received! My hunch is that the forks are bent and the frame is tweaked, anything that breaks the whole cluster and the handlebars off is going to do significant damage in that area around the steering stem. Have someone with experience with these bikes take a peek, but my hunch is you may be better starting off with a replacement ninjette and using this one for spare parts.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the quick reply, funny enough I was looking at the bike and the forks look straight, the bike rolls straight, and neither the front tire or wheel are damaged. I was in the process of stopping quickly and wonder if the bike lifted from behind alittle and threw us and happened to hit just right to break those items? Also anyone have these laying around for cheap? Chris

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Sorry to hear about the crash. Who got the ticket?
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #5
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

I assume they did, I was unconcious and didnt wakeup with one, only the other drivers info filled out by apd. I wokeup just long enough to try to take off my helmet and have someone yell at me then next time I was in the hospital.

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #6
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Bracket that holds the headlight and cluster in

Does anyone know what the bracket that holds the headlight in place and the instrument cluster is called? Also any idea about how much it would run? Also I welcome any other opinions on this project. Thanks. Chris

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #7
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by christbennett429 View Post
Does anyone know what the bracket that holds the headlight in place and the instrument cluster is called? Also any idea about how much it would run? Also I welcome any other opinions on this project. Thanks. Chris
I think its called a front stay. About a year ago, I picked up one for $85
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #8
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Goodluck getting better, with all the insurance stuff, and fixing your bike.

Triple check that everything is straight on the frame and on the forks before things start getting fixed.

PS: Why isn't their insurance company rebuilding it for you?
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #9
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

On the insurance portion there was no company info filled out just a policy number, so I have a personal injury lawyer looking into it. The wreck just happened friday. Also dont they normally damage out older bikes and give a small amount?

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #10
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
On the insurance portion there was no company info filled out just a policy number, so I have a personal injury lawyer looking into it. The wreck just happened friday. Also dont they normally damage out older bikes and give a small amount?
The amount you get for the bike will be negligible compared to the personal injury. The photos look like its being held in bike jail somewhere. I suggest you get it back home ASAP. The longer its there, the harder it will be to get it back. They are probably charging you an impound/storage fee of $250/day or some other ridiculous amount.

Because they wont pay you much for the bike, I suggest you concentrate on the personal injury. Since you already have a lawyer, he will likely tell you the same thing. If your L2 fracture is easily visible on an x-ray, then you can expect a substantial jury award. Probably in the $100K to $200K range. As such, I would make them give you the bike back and not even claim it because the amount you get for personal injury will be so much more. Otherwise, you may end up with a salvage title or worse.

Also, since you were unconscious, that means you had a concussion and probably other head trauma. In this case, your helmet probably saved your life. Does it look smashed up?

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
It should still be enough to replace it at market value.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I agree with n4mwd; you should make the legal process and the insurance claims your top priority now.
The bike is fixable, but that should be a secondary thing for you.

Regarding the damage, it is very possible that your hypothesis about the position of the bike at the instant of the impact is correct.
Blows to the front tire have enough lever to deform the forks and frame.
If the impact happened on the upper clamps and instruments, those may be straight still.

It may be useful trying to see the damage of the car in order to figure out the impact zones.

Wish you the best outcome and the minimum impact to your wife's and your health
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

My advice would be if you're only riding the street than ditch the 250 and get yourself a bigger bike since the braking power is much stronger than the 250 especially if you're riding 2up.

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #14
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the replies, I am getting the bike out tomorrow as soon as I get my paycheck. ITs going to be 300 but the bike has alot of sentimental value to me, also ive seen you can get a frame for 99.00 on ebay though im sure that has its own legal issues involved.

Old March 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@christbennett429: that's so horrible. Scary situation. Glad you guys are relatively ok. Was it surreal waking up in the street like that and then in the hospital?

Same question as always: the accident didn't sound at all like your fault (the cage driver is to blame), but blame aside: is there anything you could have done differently before or during the situation that would have made it more likely that you'd get out of that horrid situation without a crashing?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #16
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Unfortunately there wasnt much I could have done differently, I have thought about that so much since the wreck and the sad truth is no. And I always figured my experience would save me even if others were bad drivers. It is a weird experience and funny enough I know to leave my helmet on till help arrives but all I could think about was getting the helmet off lol.

Old March 7th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

If you are positive the forks and triple tree are straight then the frame will almost definitely still be straight. But take off the front forks and roll them on a flat surface and look for a wobble to see if they are straight. If they are slightly bent then the frame could possibly be tweaked.

I crashed my bike like 3 months ago and my front end didn't look as bad as yours does and I had a bent front fork bent lower triple tree and later discovered that the frame was bent. IT CAN BE VERY HARD TO TELL. Take the front end apart and look at it very closely. It can turn into a money pit very quickly.

Goodluck. Glad you are alright.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #18
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Thanks jono for that bit of info, I will check it real good and see. Chris

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #19
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

If I was intent on fixing that thing for minimum cost the first thing I would do was strip the front end and inspect every weld with a magnifying glass. I would then go to a dealer with a cloth tape measure and take some measurement real quick for comparison. Yes the measurements would be rough but at least something to compare with. Check the forks and stick it back together. Take some REAL easy rides to see how the bike handles and also test out some serious braking maneuvers .......

Not advising you as to your course of action just telling you how I would do it.

I will tell you that I would never FULLY trust a bike that had been smashed up that bad regardless of whether I did the fix or had a mechanic check it over and do the work. Hell I have never FULLY trusted any of the street bike I have had unless I bought them brand spanking new. But that's just me. I am funny like that. Not to say I haven't ridden the piss out of some of the used bike I have owned but in the back of my mind I always had that smidgen of doubt.

Anyway, glad the incident wasn't more serious than it was and I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery.

Old March 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #20
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Sorry to read about the crash, Good luck with the insurance case and Hope you and your wife both have speedy recoveries... God bless and Ride safe!!!

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #21
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Thank you, that means alot. Chris

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #22
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm just curious? What gear were you wearing?

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #23
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

I had a fieldsheer armored mesh jacket on with a dot full face helmet and gloves. unfortunately I had shorts and tennis shoes on because it was a short trip and hot out.

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #24
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I see. Did you collide with the car (your body)? Or did you just fly over it? I just want a visual. I'm can't say you're a-okay, but, I'm glad you're not worse

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #25
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

When I wrecked The bike went right into the driver side door of the ford focus and it threw me into the car then I landed on the ground and heard then felt the bike hit the car and slide into me from there.

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #26
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
When I wrecked The bike went right into the driver side door of the ford focus and it threw me into the car then I landed on the ground and heard then felt the bike hit the car and slide into me from there.
Ugh sounds painful...get better.

Old March 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #27
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Glad to hear you and your wife are ok. Sounds like things could've been a lot worse.

As for your bike, I can understand the sentimental value bit. Let me ask you this though...you brought up finding a frame for $99. If you replace the frame, and from what it sounds like, the whole front end, is it even the same bike? You've got another bikes frame and completely different parts. Just saying...

Old March 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #28
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

You have a point, I think its just easier for me to go piece by piece to have something to look forward to than to save the money and buy a new bike. Also the frame looks good, no chipped paint or bent metal.

Old March 11th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #29
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Just an update, I checked the frame real good and no chipped paint or broken welds, also no cracks. Forks are straight, and I just replaced the handlebar risers and rebuilt the handlebar setups. I took the bike for a ride through the neighborhood slow at first but gradually increased speed alittle, then went to cornering and all went well. I still need to find a front fairing for the bike and I noticed that the clutch does not fully disengage when the bike is on the center stand and it is pulled in. I adjusted the clutch cable but no luck. Aside from that and minor adjustments the worst is out of the way. Chris

Old March 11th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Just an update, I checked the frame real good and no chipped paint or broken welds, also no cracks. Forks are straight, and I just replaced the handlebar risers and rebuilt the handlebar setups. I took the bike for a ride through the neighborhood slow at first but gradually increased speed alittle, then went to cornering and all went well. I still need to find a front fairing for the bike and I noticed that the clutch does not fully disengage when the bike is on the center stand and it is pulled in. I adjusted the clutch cable but no luck. Aside from that and minor adjustments the worst is out of the way. Chris
They all do that, or at least mine does and I've been told it's normal. My clutch is actually close to worn out and yet my rear tire spins when on the stand and in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in. I took the chain off while warming it up in neutral and then the front sprocket spins in neutral too! It's probably just fluidic drag or something, like being in a boat's wake and being pulled along slightly.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #31
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
They all do that, or at least mine does and I've been told it's normal. My clutch is actually close to worn out and yet my rear tire spins when on the stand and in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in. I took the chain off while warming it up in neutral and then the front sprocket spins in neutral too! It's probably just fluidic drag or something, like being in a boat's wake and being pulled along slightly.
Damn-it: just did a hunt for a post where someone (maybe @choneofakind or @alex.s) eloquently explained that even with the clutch lever fully pulled in, it's normal for there to still be some contact between the plates. Couldn't find it.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #32
n4mwd

Mine does that too, plus it grabs when I pop it into first when its cold. Its just how they work. Nothing to worry about. Congrats on getting it going again.

Old March 11th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #33
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's in faq.ninja250.org where they talk about that little jolt that you get when you put in in gear the first time after starting it cold.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_bike...this_normal%3F
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #34
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

Thanks, im religious when it comes to maintanance and adjustment on my bike but for some reason I couldnt remember if it did that before or not.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know of a good fairingless front turn signal setup?

Last futzed with by christbennett429; March 11th, 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added info

Old March 11th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82775

This is the headlight wayanlam used when he went street fighter

Old March 12th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #36
n4mwd

Quote:
Out of curiousity, does anyone know of a good fairingless front turn signal setup?
Yuck. You should have plenty of bucks from the insurance to pay for the proper plastics. Why parade your bike through town without any clothes on?

Old March 12th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #37
christbennett429
ninjette.org member

I had liability only with no uninsured rider coverage and we only got a policy number from the police report so it might be some time before I see any money. I have an attorney working on it now. Chris

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #38
n4mwd

Quote:
I had liability only with no uninsured rider coverage and we only got a policy number from the police report so it might be some time before I see any money. I have an attorney working on it now. Chris
Last I heard, insurance isn't required in Texas on cars, so I don't see any reason for him to lie about it. You should have his contact information. Just call him and ask for the necessary information.

If your attorney hasn't gotten the basics done yet, maybe you need a different attorney. The attorney you select makes all the difference. A friend of mine got a good one and while Allstate refused to pay anything on the claim, the attorney sends them a letter simply announcing that he is on the case, and suddenly Allstate pays the policy maximum without ever having to file a lawsuit. But another friend wasn't so lucky. She got a sucky lawyer and after several years, she barely got enough money to buy the gas to drive to the lawyers office and pick up the check.

I don't know any lawyers in Texas and the good one I mentioned was later paid a huge some of money by the insurance companies to "retire".

Old March 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #39
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Last I heard, insurance isn't required in Texas on cars

Old March 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #40
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

There is state required minimum coverage here in TX.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote