ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I wrecked big time today

I hit some mountain bike trails with a friend. We were going pretty good for a while. Then he was like "hey if we cross over here, there is a really good trail". So I agreed that we should go and I followed over to the trail start. Well after the big rain we had recently, some of the sand they put back there washed off. So the trail has a lot of roots.

On a downhill run, where there was a root, then a drop off (2x in a row). One root proceeded to introduce itself to my front tire. I had a little brake in my hand while going downhill and having to run over roots. Well the total result was that I flew over the bars. I hit pretty hard too. I have a bruise about the size of a baseball on my leg. Turns out, when I fell I would have been ok if my car keys were not in my pocket! lol

Anyway, it was my first time on a mtb trail since I was a kid in high school. I really had a blast. May have to talk my wife into letting me get a cheapo Trek MTB to run. We shall see. He is already planning a trail trip for next week for all of us. I'll be there if I can go.

I'll post up a video once it uploads and goes public on youtube.

EDIT:

Link to original page on YouTube.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro

Last futzed with by Apex; July 16th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #2
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Nice dump! Glad you didn't eat it too hard and I look forward to the video.

I did similar downhill on the B-Line in Whistler a month or so ago, drifted wide in a long sweeping curve and caught a fence, flew over the bars, flipped and landed on my back smacking my head. The helmet, upper body armor and 2L camelback saved me from anything other than a few bruises and a stiff neck.

MTB is fun as hell isn't it?
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

It sure is fun. I need to get a camelbak because my MTB shorts kept pulling my water bottle out of the seat post holder. The pant leg would drift over the bottle nozzle, then when my leg moved, the bottle would move with it. So a camelbak would be a nice upgrade for me.

Yeah MTB is addictive. It is more fun with friends making fun of you and to snag your bike after a nice crash. lol I better be healed by the time we go riding next week. If not, I'll probably still go.

Last futzed with by Apex; July 16th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.

Old July 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I have this one: OGIO Erzberg and it's fantastic for both MTB and Snowboarding. It's small, light has a 2L bladder and enough room for the basics (snack, tools, shirt) and the insulated hose keeps water cool in the summer and warm enough not to freeze in the winter as well as protecting it.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Updated with video.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out!

I wish I had someone behind me with the camera. No doubt it would have been funny to watch.

Old July 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #6
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Ouch dude! Looked like a bad fall. Glad you weren't hurt too bad.
I've just started doing mt bike trails this summer. I got a new Cannondale F7 and LOVE it! :-) I only wear helmet and gloves. What other gear do you guys wear?
You are so right, this hobby is addicting...hm, similar to another hobby we all have in common, I suppose. :-) Ally

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Ouch dude! Looked like a bad fall. Glad you weren't hurt too bad.
I've just started doing mt bike trails this summer. I got a new Cannondale F7 and LOVE it! :-) I only wear helmet and gloves. What other gear do you guys wear?
You are so right, this hobby is addicting...hm, similar to another hobby we all have in common, I suppose. :-) Ally
Well I just got a CamelBak M.U.L.E. NV today. It has all the storage I'd ever want and a 100mL bladder. So it should be enough for a nice long ride.

I'd also recommend mountain bike shorts. The look like normal shorts, but have a inner liner that has a chamois. It is a little extra padding and more comfortable on the ride. I prefer shorts made by FOX.

Like this:

I also use Shimano SPD MT520 Pedals with cycling shoes.
Click to see

But for basics, I'd just say, gloves, pedals, eye protection (lots of bugs and branches out there) and some good hydration. Just be sure to carry some spare tubes and a pump with you (or CO2 setup).

Old July 19th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #8
fenwaynomar45
Greenman!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

is it wrong i fast forwarded right to 2:45 just to see u fall? i feel like a horrible person
fenwaynomar45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #9
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

LOL