ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #1
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Boots for skinny foot/calf?

I've realized that wearing hiking boots is probably not the safest thing to do, so I'm on the hunt for some nice full coverage boots.

I tried on some A* SMX-5 Boots today. They were the ony full coverage boots in my price range at the shop.

Even at 1-1/2 sizes smaller (US sizes) than my street shoe, I still could almost pull my entire foot out of the boot when it was zipped up. It just doesn't provide ANY support on the top of my foot. This seems pretty dangerous, imo.

I can't find any full coverage boots with top of the foot straps, aside from the SIDI Vortice boots, and I'm not spending $500 bucks as a guy who is only 1 month into riding, who doesn't do any track. I don't even know that they would provide what I need. With regualar street shoes, I need to tie my laces tight.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Maybe I need to swallow my pride and look at womens boots?
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Really depends on boots..
I got a size 13 foot, and I would think it is pretty skinny (the rest of me is, so why change at my feet).
I ended up going w/ Sidi Cobra's in US11.5 size that fits perfect, while the 12.5 size was at least 1/2 size to 1 full size to big.
I would suggest if not these, they are pricey, definitely get something w good ankle support and doesn't let it twist.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM   #3
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

When I first got my A* ST boots, I thought they were too big too. I zipped them up and pulled the velcro around where I thought it should be and there was still a ton of space! But I found out, that even though it doesn't look like it at first, you can pull the velcro tighter and create a nice, tight fit. It took a few rides for the leather to break in and really be comfortable, but now, I really like them!

I am not sure how different the SMX boots are, but they may have some give in them as well...

Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #4
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

A lot of boots are going to have a little room around the calf for the fatties out there lol and for tucking in leathers and so forth. I have really skinny calves and sidis just have way to much room (Dainese was the same). The foot is nice and secure but there is an uncomfortable amount of room.

The best boot I have tried was the alpinestars smx-plus 2011 boot. They get the closest to my calf and the inner half bootie makes for a really secure fit, with no heel lift. So I'm getting a pair of those shortly. I currently have the smx-r and those also fit decently close to the calf.

And surprisingly the smx-plus are really comfortable and easy to walk in. I was shocked how easy they were to walk in even with the extensive ankle and torsion protection.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
dfox
ninjette.org sage

thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to a place today that has signifincatly more gear than the place I went to yesterday. Hopefully they have something else that works for me.

As a snowboarder, who constantly uses nice snug boots that fit evenly around my entire foot, I don't understand why nobody makes a properly fitting motorcycle boot. I know I'm not the only narrow footed, skinny legged guy out there. It's just my body type, there's nothing i can do about it. I've worked out quite a bit, and while I gain some size, it doesn't put me even close to the average american guy who seams to have 10" diameter calfs, at least according to motorcycle boot manufacturers. Why these things aren't adjustable, I don't understand. my snowboard boots provide WAY more protection than these things do, and they're adjustable.

Old May 4th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Typically the boots with calf adjustment systems using ratchets, or some sort of micro-adjusting system will fit closest to your calf. The ones that are zipper+velcro usually don't get close enough for me.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Tried on some sidi boots today at a local dealer, heavy on Ducatis. The ST fit really well, and I felt secure in it, the other boots, while they had some protection, had no resistance to rolling.

While they're twice what I wanted to pay, I might just bite the bullet.