ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 10th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Name: Gavin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250

Thinking about getting another bike.

So Ive been riding my Pre-Gen for a year now and this bike and I have been through hell and back. When I first got the bike it needed a new engine, and I did that, and I've been down on it a few times, albeit all relatively minor. It's been my daily driver and I've racked up around 13k miles. I just recently mounted and balanced the rear tire myself, with help from the Wiki. I love this bike to death but I'm looking to get a new toy.

I would like another bike not because I've grown bored of the bike or even that it doesnt have enough power but I want a backup and I want something with a little more features without the headache of adding a whole ton of modification. I do love customizing things myself but it's not a very cheap hobby and I don't have the time to be doing it anyhow, and when I do I'd rather be out riding. I also wouldn't mind being able to ride on the highway without the vibration and being able to pass more easily and safer.

So what do I get? My max budget is around $6500 but I'd love to have some cash to buy some nicer gear and some proper winter & rain gear, and a quieter helmet. I've been thinking about the VFR800 and the FZ6R, I'd love a FZ09 but they're too new and pricey and Id like something that won't depreciate in value a ton. I would like something that's for sport touring and oh man I love the sounds of the triple and the v4 and don't want another lawn mower haha.

So what do you guys recommend for a bike, and good gear for all the seasons? Am I too inexperienced for something bigger than say a CBR500? Or am I still to inexperienced for even that?

Also, what about insurance? What bikes do you guys know of that their insurance rates arent stupidly expensive? I'll be officially 16 when I get the new bike. My rates are gonna be freaking insane, I know. I hope my parents will keep me on their policy if I get something bigger, its doubtful though. My Ninjette is $100 a year (liability only, of course).

Last futzed with by Gavin_Coffey; April 11th, 2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Ive actually owned this bike since May 2014.
Gavin_Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

The Triumph Street Triple is widely reviewed to be the best street bike around right now. If I could get over its headlights, I might get one, but I just can't make myself like them, or even be OK with them.

Second on my list is an FZ6. I'm not getting another street bike anytime soon though, next bike will hopefully be a Triumph Tiger 800 to keep my Ninja company.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #3
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
The Triumph Street Triple is widely reviewed to be the best street bike around right now. If I could get over its headlights, I might get one, but I just can't make myself like them, or even be OK with them.
I've always tried to stick to Japanese makes and models, I've heard the Euro makes are expensive, require a lot of maintenance, etc. As someone who does everything themselves I want something that isn't too crazy to work on

Old April 10th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
SV650.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 10th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #5
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin_Coffey View Post
So what do you guys recommend? Am I too inexperienced for something bigger than say a CBR500? Or am I still to inexperienced for even that?
Your years/miles/etc riding doesn't actually tell us anything about your skill. How deliberate was your practice? How fast do you learn? And so on. So, in other words, we're ill suited to tell you if you're experienced enough or not. If you have the sense to ride within your limits, you can ride within those limits on nearly any bike. The grip doesn't twist itself, right?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 10th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #6
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Your years/miles/etc riding doesn't actually tell us anything about your skill. How deliberate was your practice? How fast do you learn? And so on. So, in other words, we're ill suited to tell you if you're experienced enough or not. If you have the sense to ride within your limits, you can ride within those limits on nearly any bike. The grip doesn't twist itself, right?
I rode on private land for around a thousand miles before I was on public roads. I went from never touching a motorcycle to being able to shift and drive in an evening. I've ridden in all conditions, including snow. The first time I went down was when I was on private roads and when I got cut off and my third time was in dirt and I was screwing around so I expected that.

I've taken my bike to its limits but I've never been a fast or wild rider. I've had the bike topped out and I've scratched the pegs and I get pretty far over on 'clover leafs' and I'm not afraid of my bike but I still respect it and know even though it's a two-fiddy it can still mess me up pretty good.

Old April 10th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........So what do you guys recommend?.....
Too new and shinning bike attracts thieves.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tags/smart-money

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Too new and shinning bike attracts thieves.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tags/smart-money

Trust me, I know. Not something I'm particularly worried about though, I dont plan on buying anything brand new, and my bike sits in my secluded patio.

Old April 11th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #9
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Quote:
I've been thinking about the VFR800 and the FZ6R, I'd love a FZ09 but they're too new and pricey and Id like something that won't depreciate in value a ton. I would like something that's for sport touring and oh man I love the sounds of the triple and the v4 and don't want another lawn mower haha.

So what do you guys recommend? Am I too inexperienced for something bigger than say a CBR500? Or am I still to inexperienced for even that?
FZ6R is top heavy -- maybe you'll like it if you do a lot of freeway riding (stability). A lot of complaints about seat comfort and a forward lean angle in no-mans land between kinda upright and SS position. I sold mine over painful rides more than 30 minutes. (I can ride for hours on the Ninjette or R3.) You'd just have to try it, some love it.

FZ09 reportedly has a touchy throttle that seems to irk many. Naked bike for touring?

The VFR800 seems appreciated by owners, but it is 530 lbs, but you did say touring. If you can check one of these out, that would be sweet.

Street Triple is very nice, but try to take one for a test ride. It just didn't speak to me on the demo ride. Tall and sliding me into the tank. Tall 1st gear.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
FZ6R is top heavy -- maybe you'll like it if you do a lot of freeway riding (stability). A lot of complaints about seat comfort and a forward lean angle in no-mans land between kinda upright and SS position. I sold mine over painful rides more than 30 minutes. (I can ride for hours on the Ninjette or R3.) You'd just have to try it, some love it.

FZ09 reportedly has a touchy throttle that seems to irk many. Naked bike for touring?

The VFR800 seems appreciated by owners, but it is 530 lbs, but you did say touring. If you can check one of these out, that would be sweet.

Street Triple is very nice, but try to take one for a test ride. It just didn't speak to me on the demo ride. Tall and sliding me into the tank. Tall 1st gear.
I see, thanks for the insight. I say sport touring because I take a lot of 30 minute to an hour highway trips, and would like to have longer trips, I only live two and a half hours away from Dallas and I might want to ride there some time, but I also want something thats fun and lively around town. Something with low-rev grunt that doesn't require me to rev the piss out of it like I do the ninjette.

I hear mixed reviews of the FZ6R.

It seems like the main complaints on the FZ09 are the throttle and suspension. Throttle I feel is just something you learn to live with, and hell, I weigh 130lbs soaking wet, the suspension is designed for me. But they're too new and pricey for me and would need screens and stuff.

My old man had a VFR750 back in the day, and I love how they sound, 530lbs is a lot, especially since I'm small. But I would love that V4, sattle bags even though I think they're clunky and for old men are realllllllllll nice for doing real tasks. And I love that single sides swing arm. Those headlights though, looks like an F4i which isnt the prettiest.

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:16 AM   #11
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Rather than the FZ6R, look for the previous FZ6, 2009 and older. It's a fantastic bike with a detuned R6 engine. Puts out 91-ish HP and 45 ft lbs. I has one. They can typically be found for pretty cheap too!

A good tuner can get rid of the twitchy FZ09 Throttle. My tuner here will do it for you. Send him the ECU and some cash and he'll flash it. It will be a whole new bike! Doesn't do anything for the spingers but pretty much any bike you buy will need suspension work. They all suck stock.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #12
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

If you like the fz9 but want something cheaper, why not look at the first gen fz1 or maybe a sv1000?

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
If you like the fz9 but want something cheaper, why not look at the first gen fz1 or maybe a sv1000?
I've not looked at any of the 1000s. I'll check it out.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #14
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post

Second on my list is an FZ6. I'm not getting another street bike anytime soon though, next bike will hopefully be a Triumph Tiger 800 to keep my Ninja company.
There are kits available to convert a street triple to a single headlight bike. They cost like $300 if I remember right.

If I get a Street triple someday that's the route I'll take. I've heard so many good things about those bikes.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #15
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I see, thanks for the insight. I say sport touring because I take a lot of 30 minute to an hour highway trips, and would like to have longer trips, I only live two and a half hours away from Dallas and I might want to ride there some time, but I also want something thats fun and lively around town. Something with low-rev grunt that doesn't require me to rev the piss out of it like I do the ninjette.
Yeah, great around town* and great on the freeway* is a tall order. I wound up with an R3, great around town, and "acceptable" for freeway stints. You might check on FZ-07, it's a tq monster for around town, and 65 whp for freeway, but naked. Only 400 lbs wet. I'm still trying to line up a test ride to satisfy my curiosity.

That older FZ6 suggestion sound interesting, if you want more than a twin engine.

* To me, this is light weight / nimble low cg / not over-powered for in town, whereas freeway is a heavier bike / more whp ... the two are straight-up contradictory. Pick your poison.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #16
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah, great around town* and great on the freeway* is a tall order. I wound up with an R3, great around town, and "acceptable" for freeway stints. You might check on FZ-07, it's a tq monster for around town, and 65 whp for freeway, but naked. Only 400 lbs wet. I'm still trying to line up a test ride to satisfy my curiosity.

That older FZ6 suggestion sound interesting, if you want more than a twin engine.

* To me, this is light weight / nimble low cg / not over-powered for in town, whereas freeway is a heavier bike / more whp ... the two are straight-up contradictory. Pick your poison.
I'm thinking middle-weight, eh? I loves me some torque and quick 0-60 times.

Old April 11th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #17
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Leight weight, low CG, Enough torque for town, Enough peak HP for twisty fun.

Seems like the best compromise you can get.

Old April 11th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #18
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
Leight weight, low CG, Enough torque for town, Enough peak HP for twisty fun.

Seems like the best compromise you can get.
The previous gen Street Triple is a better option than the current model, imo. Basically, 1st gear is somewhat shorter. Swap in an updated R/R, iirc. And do something about the high pipes that make the rider go deaf (many did change to low pipes). I just didn't want to invest that much effort though, since I don't ride a lot, or as often as I wish I could.

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #19
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

If you don't mind the looks of the sv650, I think that would be your best bet. There are a trillion customization options and the buy in is within your budget. You can turn it into whatever kind of bike you want.

The complaining about the suspension on any bike other than the ninjette is so comical. Raise your hand if you're chattering the front end and or running out of clearance on a regular basis. Please excuse the sarcasm. I just recently rode an fz09 and I forgot how awesome that bike is. Just ask @tfkrocks how easily it snaps onto the back wheel. I won't deny that the fz09 is retardedly quick. Maybe a bit much for a 16 year old. I know I wouldn't want myself to own something with that much power.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #20
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
The complaining about the suspension on any bike other than the ninjette is so comical.
Yeah, posters say oh the R3 suspension is the weak link. Are you kidding me. It's insanely good, from where I came from. The problem with so many bike reviews, they are track focused.

Quote:
If you don't mind the looks of the sv650
I think 2017 brings a new revision.

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #21
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
I own and have over 150,000 kms on my 05 VFR 800.
Fantastic bike. But heavy, expensive to buy, service, fuel and insure.
I also racked up 5,000 kms ripping up the roads of South East Australia on a SV650S. I can't say enough good things about it for what it is!

Forgive me; you're young, limited budget and limited experience. The SV650S with a simple luggage system (the bike I rented had a Ventura rack & bag, excellent system & performance) ticks all the boxes for your situation and there are a TON of farkles to spend your fun money on and you will have spare cash which you won't have if you go big!

My 2 cents

Good luck
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #22
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
I think 2017 brings a new revision.
The 2017 version is what the Gladius should have been!!!

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #23
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Yeah, posters say oh the R3 suspension is the weak link. Are you kidding me. It's insanely good, from where I came from. The problem with so many bike reviews, they are track focused.
Ha. Well I've ridden an r3 a handful of times (I'm an instructor with z2 track days, we are going to be at thunder hill next Friday). The rear suspension is really floaty. It's hilarious to ride around track because it's so vague and not controlled.

Truth be told you can still go very very fast on the stock suspension. Is it confidence inspiring, no, but it's possible. In reality getting the suspension dialed in on the slow bikes can get you easily 2.5 seconds a lap faster.

Remember the OP's budget is $6500. A new sv650 is out of the question. He should just get something older and cheaper.

And OP, in regards to insurance. Having two bikes will lower it. You can't ride them both at the same time and the insurance company will recognize that. As long as it isn't a super sport bike you'll be fine.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #24
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
I was of course referring to a used SV650S. Well within his budget and probably enough left over for insurance, gear and initial maintenance.

There are several for sale in the Vancouver Canada area that look decent offered for sale $2,500-$5,000 Canadian. So probably less than $2,000-$4,500 in the States.

$2,400-$3,500 offered in Oklahoma City!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #25
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ha. Well I've ridden an r3 a handful of times (I'm an instructor with z2 track days, we are going to be at thunder hill next Friday). The rear suspension is really floaty. It's hilarious to ride around track because it's so vague and not controlled.

Truth be told you can still go very very fast on the stock suspension. Is it confidence inspiring, no, but it's possible. In reality getting the suspension dialed in on the slow bikes can get you easily 2.5 seconds a lap faster.

Remember the OP's budget is $6500. A new sv650 is out of the question. He should just get something older and cheaper.

And OP, in regards to insurance. Having two bikes will lower it. You can't ride them both at the same time and the insurance company will recognize that. As long as it isn't a super sport bike you'll be fine.
Thanks for the insight. As far as any insurance company knows, I've never had an issue on the road besides my 10 and under ticket that is still up in the air at this point. And two vehicles is something I'd like to have. My uncle's car got stolen last night. If it were me, I wouldn't have the luxury of a rent a car. Also. It's nice when your stuff doesn't start and you can just hop in/on the other machine, go to work/school and worry about the issue when you give a damn.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #26
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Remember the OP's budget is $6500. A new sv650 is out of the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
I was of course referring to a used SV650S. Well within his budget and probably enough left over for insurance, gear and initial maintenance.
Quoting you both here. I am not going to be looking for anything less than about 4 years old. My reasons being price, depreciation, parts, I don't wanna futz with breaking a bike in, registration, and of course insurance.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #27
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Quoting you both here. I am not going to be looking for anything less than about 4 years old. My reasons being price, depreciation, parts, I don't wanna futz with breaking a bike in, registration, and of course insurance.
See my edited post above: $$2,400-$3,500 in your neck of the woods!

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #28
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

You should get a Ducati monster 900. Lol. Or a monster 796. I think prices just dropped into your budget. I love the 796 motor. They aren't bad on insurance. Very few people crash ducatis. Similar to corvettes, rates are super low on them.

The triumph street triple is awesome. I'm a bit biased as I have a Daytona race bike. Note the avatar and profile picture. It's pretty much as reliable as Japanese bike. Parts aren't as readily available. It's one of the coolest sounding motors and handles better than any suggestions made so far.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #29
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You should get a Ducati monster 900. Lol. Or a monster 796. I think prices just dropped into your budget. I love the 796 motor. They aren't bad on insurance. Very few people crash ducatis. Similar to corvettes, rates are super low on them.

The triumph street triple is awesome. I'm a bit biased as I have a Daytona race bike. Note the avatar and profile picture. It's pretty much as reliable as Japanese bike. Parts aren't as readily available. It's one of the coolest sounding motors and handles better than any suggestions made so far.
I can't tell if you're pulling my leg here or not, but I'll look into them. I appreciate the suggestion.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #30
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
See my edited post above: $$2,400-$3,500 in your neck of the woods!
He speaks the truth. Old sv650s are a bargain. It's easy to make them your own. It's a fun bike to ride.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #31
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
He speaks the truth. Old sv650s are a bargain. It's easy to make them your own. It's a fun bike to ride.
Ive heard SV650s are where a lot of riders start when they don't start on a 250. I haven't put much thought into them. I'll look.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #32
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Ive heard SV650s are where a lot of riders start when they don't start on a 250. I haven't put much thought into them. I'll look.
Keep in mind: those are asking prices. You should be able to shave a few bucks off those prices or find a real gem at what price is offered.

Old April 12th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #33
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Went to three bike places today just to see their used inventory and see what they have new that I like.

Saw every Kawasaki under the sun, liked a few.
The Z800 stood out, so did the Versys 650, and Ninja 650. I suppose I don't mind the twins as much as I thought. I liked most of the Kawasakis I looked at to tell you the truth, they all seem like great bikes. I prefer Kawasakis style a little bit over the other bikes, and they all feel similar to the Pregen slightly, and I appreciate that.

Saw some Hondas. I liked the CBR500s, and the CBR600F. Saw a VFR1200, I liked it, I'm sure the 800 would be similar. The NC700X was sweet too, especially for the price.

Saw the FZs and the FJ09. I like the FZ07s size a little bit better than the FZ09s, although a lot of the Yamaha bikes controls feel cheap, and the price compared to the Kawis are kind of crazy if you look at what you get as far as ABS, TCS, and other equipment. The Yamahas still, despite this, have their appeal. Also, saw an older FZ6R, Im not sure if that bike is really my style. It's kind of awkward. It's like it wants to be a fully faired R6 but it just didn't make the cut. I didn't find the way the seat was to be comfortable either, and those wheels, so ugly...

Didn't see any Suzukis other than GSXRs and I didn't even look at those.

Saw some new Triumphs, also, not really my style.

All in All. I went to two Kawasaki dealerships, was mesmerized by them. The staff at both of them were amazing and I would definitely be more likely to buy from a dealer that treats you right. The other dealer I went to sold Hondas and Yamahas, the staff there was nice too, not as interactive though. Honda seems kind of boring, Yamaha seems a little too proud, Honda does too but no to the extent. Oh, I liked the FZ1 all around but not really looking for something a 1000, the Ninja 1000 gave me the same feeling.

I gravitated to the FZs, Z800, and The Versys 650. The Ninja 650 was nice too. And the NC700X really stood out, maybe because it was grey and just bad as hell.

Old April 12th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #34
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Get the 500 Honda out of your mind. It's absolutly undewhelming! I had mine for 3mos and 3k miles including a track day. Total let down and disappointment, it's an appliance and has no soul or excitement to it.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #35
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Get the 500 Honda out of your mind. It's absolutly undewhelming! I had mine for 3mos and 3k miles including a track day. Total let down and disappointment, it's an appliance and has no soul or excitement to it.
That's how the Hondas felt imo. The NC700X stood out but they're an automatic? No way I'm gonna ride an Auto.

Old April 12th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #36
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

I vote for used N300 from CL, unless you seriously spend a lot of continuous miles on the freeway then maybe bite the bullet for a used Versys/Ninja 650.

NC700X only has DCT if you get ABS. The base model is M/T. It seems like a comfy ride, but don't expect any high revving excitement or power, especially at almost 500 pounds. Depends on your wants.

Old April 12th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #37
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I vote for used N300 from CL, unless you seriously spend a lot of continuous miles on the freeway then maybe bite the bullet for a used Versys/Ninja 650.

NC700X only has DCT if you get ABS. The base model is M/T. It seems like a comfy ride, but don't expect any high revving excitement or power, especially at almost 500 pounds. Depends on your wants.
I ride on highways around 80% of the time... The Versys is a beautiful bike.

Old April 12th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #38
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Have you looked at the Kawasaki cruiser based on the same 650 engine, the Vulcan S?

Old April 12th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #39
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Have you looked at the Kawasaki cruiser based on the same 650 engine, the Vulcan S?
I have not. Cruisers aren't (that I know of) my style.

Old April 13th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #40
Sarge1992
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

I just recently bought a 2014 Ninja 650r. Reviews of the bike are unimpressive but after sitting on one and test riding it, I love it. It has a more stand up riding position similar to the 250r, really torque happy, and are not too expensive. I bought mine used for $6k out the door from a dealer with 480 miles and an extended warranty through 2020. You can find any from this generation (2012-16) with really low miles for less than $6k, I've seen some with around 6k miles for $4500 or so. I spent a little more for this one because it was still brand new basically.

Btw, I'm 6' 180lbs, and the seat is actually pretty comfortable, I take 2+ hour long rides with little to no issue as far as seat comfort.
Sarge1992 is offline   Reply With Quote