ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Name: JT

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE Green Machine, 2011 250R SE White Lightning

DIY MGP Exhaust Baffle

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

While the turkey was in the oven earlier, I finally had time to do my write-up. I forgot to take pictures during the actual install, but took the opportunity the last time I cleaned the bike to piece together some pics to show you how to do it. I also found some pics online to help out.

Since the MGP is one of the most popular exhaust systems available. The fit and finish is great and install is super easy. However, the main drawback and consensus is that it’s TOO DANG LOUD!

Before I go into the install, most of you are probably asking how much quieter is it. It’s night and day. I’m guessing 5+db. Still loud, but livable and both your family and neighbors will thank you for doing this mod.

It's pretty simple, but feel free to ask questions. Here we go:

You’ll need to buy a 4.5" exhaust baffle for 2 inch pipes for motorcycles. I got mine on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-EXHAUST-...item1c213dd8e0

The total is $9.24/shipped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay Baffle.JPG (53.2 KB, 59 views)

Last futzed with by dragonboy; January 20th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
dragonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Then you’ll need to buy a chain link tension band from any hardware store: Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc. The size if I recall is 1-5/8”. Just bring your baffle to make sure. It’s basically going to wrap around the baffle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chain-link-fence-tension-band.jpg (7.4 KB, 242 views)

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #3
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Buy some JB weld at the hardware store, probably $5 to secure the band onto the baffle. This is just insurance as your set up might be tight enough, but back pressure is pretty strong. As kkim would say, “ask me how I know”. Just to share with you I had to order another baffle when mine went MIA during a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jbweld.jpg (26.4 KB, 11 views)

Old November 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #4
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Here’s the tricky part without documenting the complete install with pics you’ll have to read carefully. I promise you it’s not difficult if you read carefully.
1. Remove your MGP exhaust off the bike.
2. Remove the spring, which will leave you with two pieces: the exhaust can and the reducer pipe.
3. Set both aside.
4. Okay, the baffle says 2” but it’s really 1-7/8”. You need it to be 2” to fit inside the MGP reducer pipe snuggly. This is what the band is for. Also, remove the nut and bolt. You do not need it.
5. Now wrap the band around the big opening of the baffle. You can then determine how much to cut off to make a complete circle.
6. Use a hacksaw or whatever you have available to cut off the ends.
7. Now fit the band on the baffle (do not jb weld yet) and then insert it into the reducer pipe (the end that faces the exhaust). It should be a snug fit. You may have to bend the band a little to make sure it wraps around the baffle.
8. Once everything fits properly, mix the JB weld and glue the band to the baffle and then glue it inside the reducer. Don’t worry it’ll take a few hours for the glue to set-up so you can still remove or adjust it.
9. Install reducer to the exhaust (DO NOT GLUE) and then look down the exhaust to make sure the baffle is sitting straight. If it’s leaning towards one side, use a long stick or screw driver to center it.
10. Reinstall the exhaust system on the bike.
11. Let it sit for 24 hours for the JB weld to cure
12. Now warm it up and check it out.

MGP diagram.jpg chain-link-fence-tension-band v2.jpg MGP 2.jpg MGP 3.jpg

Last futzed with by dragonboy; January 20th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old November 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

What's your record for JB Weld/500*F QuikSteel/other glues lasting on mufflers/exhausts?
I got almost 300 miles once on the cooler end part of the muffler using a 650*F glue before it flaked off. Usually get less than 100 with any of the high-temp putties.

Brazing is really the only solution besides welding and bolting stuff down. I really have tried almost everything else. Well, except for some stuff I just found out about this morning. Cotronics makes some glues rated to 3,000*F designed to withstand being CONTINUOUSLY submerged in liquid, molten iron.
Which, of course, makes me wonder what the heck someone could possibly be gluing together that wouldn't melt under those conditions....but anyway....JB Weld is not designed for continuous heat.

EDIT:
Other than that one thing, good job on the write up, and good for you for not wanting to be obnoixious.

Last futzed with by Skippii; November 25th, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Because I'm actually a really nice guy.
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #6
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the glue tip. So far so good on jb weld. ;-)

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #7
bandit_fosky
ninjette.org member

Name: darren

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 r

reviving a old thread.. but we in the uk have tighter noise laws so will this exhaust with the custom baffle be legal do you think? and does it shance the sound much like the deep growl and roar of the engine?
bandit_fosky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonboy View Post
Here’s the tricky part without documenting the complete install with pics you’ll have to read carefully. I promise you it’s not difficult if you read carefully.
1. Remove your MGP exhaust off the bike.
2. Remove the spring, which will leave you with two pieces: the exhaust can and the reducer pipe.
3. Set both aside.
4. Okay, the baffle says 2” but it’s really 1-7/8”. You need it to be 2” to fit inside the MGP reducer pipe snuggly. This is what the band is for. Also, remove the nut and bolt. You do not need it.
5. Now wrap the band around the big opening of the baffle. You can then determine how much to cut off to make a complete circle.
6. Use a hacksaw or whatever you have available to cut off the ends.
7. Now fit the band on the baffle (do not jb weld yet) and then insert it into the reducer pipe (the end that faces the exhaust). It should be a snug fit. You may have to bend the band a little to make sure it wraps around the baffle.
8. Once everything fits properly, mix the JB weld and glue the band to the baffle and then glue it inside the reducer. Don’t worry it’ll take a few hours for the glue to set-up so you can still remove or adjust it.
9. Install reducer to the exhaust (DO NOT GLUE) and then look down the exhaust to make sure the baffle is sitting straight. If it’s leaning towards one side, use a long stick or screw driver to center it.
10. Reinstall the exhaust system on the bike.
11. Let it sit for 24 hours for the JB weld to cure
12. Now warm it up and check it out.

Attachment 16047 Attachment 16049 Attachment 16050 Attachment 16051
ill definatly be doing this to mine! Thank you for the write up

Old August 17th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #9
ginuwine
ninjette.org newbie

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by x only performance View Post
ill definatly be doing this to mine! Thank you for the write up