ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 17th, 2020, 05:52 PM   #1
MauR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mauricio

Motorcycle(s): 250R

300 FI retrofit...

is this possible for our 250???

I undestand some sensors and a lot of work will be needed to install but I found full wiring, ECU, Throttle Body, Air Box, Coils and some other things on Ebay for $300-$350.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-17-Kawas...e37a%7Ciid%3A1

Not sure if I want to do this but I would like to know if it would this work in our 250 Engines?? is it worth the money and work??
MauR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2020, 07:01 PM   #2
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I actually did a LOT of research on this topic and Danno helped a lot with the initial theory craft of everything.

This all starts at the flywheel, the stock 250 has 4 trigger teeth with one wide one, the 300 has 24-2 pattern.

If I recall correctly the 300 flywheel should fit in place of the 250. The ECU needs these trigger teeth on the flywheel in order for it to function correctly.

As for the throttle bodies. I found a japanese guy who has been trying to get his fuel injected race 250 (yes japan and europe/uk got fuel injected while we got carbed) to reach 180kph on the front straight of his local race track, actually fit the 300 throttle bodies on his 250. I'll link the video lower.

I have not looked into how big the differences are between the 300 and 250 wiring harnesses, I am looking at ordering a stock fuel injected harness from the UK soon (google ebay UK and shop around there for 250 ecu, harness, throttle bodies, etc).

Danno would know more than me about getting that harness to fit/modify to fit.

Next is fuel pump, again the uk bikes had tanks with fuel pumps built into them (found used on UK ebay) which would be the cleanest fit to get it to fit with limited space.

There are multiple little sensors you need for the ecu like air inlet temp, speed sensor at the front sproket, etc to fit so the ECU and dash are happy.

The last thing you'd need is to weld and O2 sensor bung onto the exhaust (ECU needs o2 sensor), you can go for the stock 300 (narrow band) or get an after market wide band to be able to tune it better.

This is a rabbit hole I have been navigating myself for well over 2 months now because I haven't seen too much on using stock kawasaki parts to do an EFI conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNUUySSPmM0
I watch his videos with english subtitles, I think one of his fans has written the translations now because they were not this good the first time I came across his videos.

I'm sure others in the forum will comment if I forget anything and will add other stuff to the list of things needed.

I follow the 7 P's before I start any project, Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. With that in mind, I have been gathering an extensive list of parts and processes I will have to change/do in order to do this right the first time.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2020, 07:58 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
When upgraded, the FI 250s do end up with about 5bhp more than carbed versions, or right about same HP as 300. Issue with using 300 parts is that fuel & ignition maps won't match 250 engine's flow pattern. It's missing about 2000rpms on high-end of maps. That's not an issue if you plan on reprogramming ECU's maps with software like TuneECU or Woolich.

However, if you plan on keeping 250 stock, it's a lot simpler to just get all parts from 250FI model and install to recreate OEM factory 250FI.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2020, 02:41 PM   #4
MauR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mauricio

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Thank you so much @Emu and @DannoXYZ

I found a Ninja 300 Wiring Diagram and it illustrates what should be added. After reading your comments and checking the wiring diagram i think it is too much work and money just to get a few hp and FI.

My carbs have been working good and if at some point I need more power I think I will jump to the Ninja 400 (if possible)

Thanks Again. I will attach the 300 diagram in case someone else need it.

Regards!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring harness.jpg (116.9 KB, 4 views)
MauR is offline   Reply With Quote