ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #1
bernhaaw
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Oil Level Rising and can not diagnose

Hello,

First a little about the bike. It is a 2012 ninja 250r with around 3000 miles on it. A completely stock bike with no modification I know about (second owner).

I first realized this problem about a month ago when I heard my engine running rough so I did the usual checks. I noticed the Oil level was slightly higher than what I had filled it during the last oil change. So I decided to do a quick oil and filter change. At the same time I checked the air filter and noticed that it was greasy (more grease than just the air filter oil to collect dust) and smelled a little bit like gas. After this I did a little searching and saw that when the oil got full it drain into the air filter case. So I finished my oil change cleaned and greased the air filter drained the air box (I did not take it apart and clean it I was waiting to make sure the problem was fixed) and put the bike back together. Then took it for a ride.

During the ride the bike sounded great and ran like a charm for about 30 miles and then it started sounding rough again. So this time I decided to clean the carbs incase I had a stuck float. After I took the carbs out and apart the carbs seemed as clean as can be no gunk or junk build up at all and neither of the floats seemed to be stuck. But I cleaned out both sides of the carb real well with out removing the jets, but completely removed the needles and diaphragm checking to see if the rubber had stretched or if a needle seemed faulty some how.

Any how I put the bike back together clean the air filter again, did another oil change and put bike back together hoping for the best. I drove the bike again and same thing as last time. Got about thirty miles driving like a charm and then it sounded rough again and the oil was clearly overfilled this time by a lot and milky color.

So now my thought is either the head gasket or water pump. I have removed the water pump and will be ordering a new one tomorrow to replace. From removing it though it seems to be in good shape and I have placed water in it and let it sit and there seemed to be no leaks but it is not under heat and pressure.

I don't think the water pump is the problem though and I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

What baffles me is that it only fills up when I run the bike and not while it sits. This to me means that it for sure has nothing to do with gas getting in the oil. Also as far as I understand if there is a blown head gasket or bad seal in the head there would be white smoke in my exhaust because some of it would be burning off as it goes through the cylinder, and I have no smoke problems. Does anyone have any more ideas for me?

Thank you in advanced,
Adam
bernhaaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!

Does your oil smell like gas? Sounds like the petcock is flooding it (overflows into the case overnight or while sitting for long periods).
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #3
bernhaaw
ninjette.org newbie

I have also had my gas tank removed when I cleaned the carbs and checked for a leak from the petcock and saw none. I also on the last ride filled my oil started the bike immediately and took it for a ride and it filled up while riding. So there was no sitting period.

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Is the oil cloudy or milky when you drain it? If not, coolant contamination isn't likely.
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #5
bernhaaw
ninjette.org newbie

It isn't cloudy or milky when drained only while the engine is running does it look cloudy and milky.

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Is the radiator full and overflow bottle up to the proper level?

Does it stay there? If so, it's not that.

Are you checking the oil level after 3 minutes with the engine warm and the cycle balancing (not on the sidestand)?

If the floats are not sealing the fuel should dump out of the overflow tubes onto the ground. Are you sure the choke (enrichener) is completely shutting off?

What do you mean by "cleaned and greased the air filter"? Take the air filter out and go for a ride.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #7
bernhaaw
ninjette.org newbie

I have not been changing the oil the way you suggested which heating it up for 3 minutes. I do Balance the bike though. I will try it that way. I guess I may have just been overfilling the oil up front?

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernhaaw View Post
It isn't cloudy or milky when drained only while the engine is running does it look cloudy and milky.
That just sounds like the high oil level is causing the oil to be foamed up by the crank. The oil would still be milky after it stopped if the issue is coolant contamination, I think.

Silly questions, but how much oil are you putting in the bike? Are you checking the level after filling with the bike level and NOT on the side stand?
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #9
bernhaaw
ninjette.org newbie

I have been checking the level on the side stand but I have been putting in closer to 1.8 liters rather than the 1.6 liters like the manual suggested. I have also been doing it cold though and some one else had suggested doing it hot and that is what the manual says too so it maybe something to do with that.

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
That can happen if you have done a bunch of short rides and the oil hasn't had time to come up to temp (200F+) and stay there a while (30 min) to evaporate collected moisture.

The temp gauge only tells you coolant temp, oil will take longer to come up to operating temp that the coolant.

Old September 8th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #11
bernhaaw
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
That can happen if you have done a bunch of short rides and the oil hasn't had time to come up to temp (200F+) and stay there a while (30 min) to evaporate collected moisture.

The temp gauge only tells you coolant temp, oil will take longer to come up to operating temp that the coolant.
I have read this a lot on the forum. That is why after each time I changed something I would also give it a fresh oil change and try to go on a long ride. thank you though.

Old September 8th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
How about the items in post #6?

Old September 8th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #13
bernhaaw
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Is the radiator full and overflow bottle up to the proper level?

Does it stay there? If so, it's not that.

Are you checking the oil level after 3 minutes with the engine warm and the cycle balancing (not on the sidestand)?

If the floats are not sealing the fuel should dump out of the overflow tubes onto the ground. Are you sure the choke (enrichener) is completely shutting off?

What do you mean by "cleaned and greased the air filter"? Take the air filter out and go for a ride.
I believe the fluid has gone down a little but not as much as I think Is getting into the engine.

Like I said I have not been warming up the engine but have been balancing the bike.

I have checked to make sure the choke is working correctly. I have checked to make sure the wire allow for it to completely close and while i had the carbs off I checked if the were closing and it all seems to be working well.

By cleaning and greasing I mean I took out the air filter and cleaned it in warm water. Then cleaned it using a foam air filter cleaner. Then rinsed in warm water again and let it dry. After that I worked foam air filter grease into the air filter.

Old September 9th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
After that I worked foam air filter grease into the air filter.
Grease? Typically grease is used only on the sealing surfaces, not the foam itself. Using grease (or even too much oil) on the foam would completely block the airflow and make it run super rich.

Take the filter out and go for a ride.

Check the oil level with the engine warm - waiting 3 min. Look closely at the level of the coolant before you go, and check it again after the engine has cooled.