Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old February 18th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Blue Tooth and Cell Phone Mount

I am considering getting a cell phone mount and a blue tooth set.

I am NOT looking for another distraction to add to the risk of motorcycling. I just want it for reassurance.

Allow me to explain.
For some reason, my wife does not understand that I can not simply answer my cell phone while riding, and she tends to call me often and repeatedly if I don't answer. I have to pull over to a safe spot in a parking lot, remove my gloves, take my phone out of my jacket, take off my helmet, and then call her back.

What I will use the blue tooth is for a quick reassuring answer like "Hey, I'm riding, and I am still alive. Got to hang up now!" The cell phone mount would just be so that I can see who is calling to see if it is even worth my time making a quick answer. I can also use it if there is an emergency that I need to be aware of and need to make my way home or some possible scenario. And so that I can tell time.

I know Revzilla has MANY products but I end up getting what is called choice paralysis. Can I just use a simple blue tooth that they cell for cell phones? My helmet is a full face helmet and non modular.

Any tips and advice appreciated!

Old February 18th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
My setup is a slipgrip mount that holds my phone and a Sena SMH5-FM.

Depending on your phone, a better solution may be a RAM mount and holder either stuck on the dash or in the spare mirror mount on your handlebar.

I wouldn't go for the usual bluetooth headsets for phones as your helmet will mash that thing into your skull creating a painful hazard. The small communicator headsets use flat speakers that nest in the ear pockets of your helmet and when fit right, are unnoticable. The mic is then placed on the chin bar right in front of your mouth for easy soeaking.

Another option if she is just concerned about you, depending on your phone, you can set up a tracking app that your wife can check and see you are stilll moving along. There are a few free opptions as well as paid versions.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

How would you rate the blue tooth? Does the person you are talking to hear a lot of wind noise from your riding?

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I love it.

I have not had any wind complaints from the person on the other end. Sometimes I need to ask them to repeat things as the wind, my ear plugs, and crap hearing leave me wondering what they said. The headset has the option of voice dialing "Call so and so" or "Dial ######", plus has three speed dial slots for a quick tap on the jog dial.

For the intercom, I've talked with folks using the Sena 10 and 20. The 10 is ok, but the 20 is crystal clear.

I primarily use my system for music, both MP3 and Pandora, plus I have the FM antenna in mine. Secondly I use it for voice navigation from my phone GPS. Finally, it's used for phone calls with intercoms coming in rarely.

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I love it.

I have not had any wind complaints from the person on the other end. Sometimes I need to ask them to repeat things as the wind, my ear plugs, and crap hearing leave me wondering what they said. The headset has the option of voice dialing "Call so and so" or "Dial ######", plus has three speed dial slots for a quick tap on the jog dial.

For the intercom, I've talked with folks using the Sena 10 and 20. The 10 is ok, but the 20 is crystal clear.

I primarily use my system for music, both MP3 and Pandora, plus I have the FM antenna in mine. Secondly I use it for voice navigation from my phone GPS. Finally, it's used for phone calls with intercoms coming in rarely.
I personally have a old set of Scala Q2 Pros and love them, full Bluetooth conductivity hands-free and put the phone in my jacket pocket. Never had any issues, and great for two up riding, and group rides as well.

The newer models are just plain awesome as far as features, range etc...

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider

The modern systems will change the way you ride, making it easier, and enjoyable, and you'll never ride without it again, and make the wife happy, or you could just do this,

or this,

because it's legal right?

Personally I'm hoping to see an iron man style helmet that affordable, and it must have the Jarvis voice.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #6
propilot
ninjette.org member

Name: keV

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
For some reason, my wife does not understand that I can not simply answer my cell phone while riding
propilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #7
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

If you are a new rider, the last thing you need is a distraction of talking on a phone while riding, IMHO as a new rider myself. And if you stop to talk, you don't need bluetooth.

I have a simple no-name mount for my smartphone for GPS navigation. I always set it on silent while riding.

Old February 18th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
If you are a new rider, the last thing you need is a distraction of talking on a phone while riding, IMHO as a new rider myself. And if you stop to talk, you don't need bluetooth.

I have a simple no-name mount for my smartphone for GPS navigation. I always set it on silent while riding.
Agreed, and a very excellent point, and no matter if your experienced or not, a distraction is a distraction, look at all the cagers that come close to killing us.

I have the set-up, yes, but if I'm in a situation that calls for more of Ky attention I will either ignore the call or tell them I have to go. It's a judgment call on my part, everyone is different.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 18th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #9
propilot
ninjette.org member

Name: keV

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250

My ex used to do that and it drove me nuts! Plus, she wanted to have 10-15 minute conversations. I learned to wedge my phone in my helmet and keep going. I usually made it to work before the conversation was over
propilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #10
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
@Alex - This thread should probably be moved out of the marketplace.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #11
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
My setup is a slipgrip mount that holds my phone and a Sena SMH5-FM.
+1

This is the setup i have. It works great, my boyfriend said that the when i take from my helmet it sounds cleared then from the phone directly.

I normally pull over to talk but with this setup there's no need to remove your helmet and gloves. Makes it a bit easier for you.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #12
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Agreed, and a very excellent point, and no matter if your experienced or not, a distraction is a distraction, look at all the cagers that come close to killing us.

I have the set-up, yes, but if I'm in a situation that calls for more of Ky attention I will either ignore the call or tell them I have to go. It's a judgment call on my part, everyone is different.

Like you said, if your in a situation that requires more of your attention, I wouldn't answer either. But, I would still like to remain connected. Maybe even get a phone call that extends the ride like a "Can you pick up milk at the store in your way home?". Just another excuse to ride longer! The point is, I want to get one and needed some helpful opinions before I shopped for one. I don't do too well with buyer's remorse.

Old February 19th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #13
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
If it helps, here's how my Ram mount was installed. A few folks here have gotten really creative with tucking it under the screen, especially if they have a double bubble or sport touring screen. I went with simplicity.

Old February 19th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Like you said, if your in a situation that requires more of your attention, I wouldn't answer either. But, I would still like to remain connected. Maybe even get a phone call that extends the ride like a "Can you pick up milk at the store in your way home?". Just another excuse to ride longer! The point is, I want to get one and needed some helpful opinions before I shopped for one. I don't do too well with buyer's remorse.
Well between Scala, and Sena you have two excellent choices to research, don't go cheap no-name eBay China one, get a quality one, hell nobody can tell I'm on the bike going down the road, the noise cancelling technology is that good.

And some of the high end models will tell you whom is calling, etc..... It's very amazing.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #15
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

+1 on the sena smh-05. Get the 10 if you plan to listen to music and you have a noisy helmet. I have a cheapo cell phone mount that has been I service over 3 seasons. very secure but only water resistant, not water proof. more than 20 minutes in anything more than a light drizzle and your phone will get at least a little wet.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #16
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
My setup: Sena 20s and Techmount TechGripper for the phone. Works wonderfully. You can get a great deal (better than Revzilla) on the Sena 20s from Riders Discount (just talk to Mike).

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #17
Ghostt
in your machine

I keep my phone in my Rapid Transit Recon19 tank bag in the map window when I'm all long trips.

Most of the time its in the inside pocket of my jacket, to stay nice and dry.

QUESTION TIME, for all whom are using a mounting set-up, why? Are you also using your phone as a GPS, etc......

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #18
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
QUESTION TIME, for all whom are using a mounting set-up, why? Are you also using your phone as a GPS, etc......
Only as GPS and messaging. And if my wife texts, it's something really important, so I better pull over.

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Turn by turn directions, see who's calling, weather, ease of using it when stopped (such as launching music, audiobooks, podcasts, Pandora, email, texts, and camera). It stays plugged in to a USB i have installed nearby to keep the cord chaos in check.

Mine is now tucked under the windscreen opposite the other GPS (which is my trip computer and lon distance routing device), so it's protected from rain and heat.

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #20
Ghostt
in your machine

Okay, I get it now, Thxs.

Sometimes on long trips or touring I use my Garmin GPS, but since I found WAZE it's been collecting dust. Now I just use that, I love it's turn by turn navigation, I have found it very accurate, and it just interrupts my Pandora for a few seconds etc.... And the phone resided in my jacket, or in the tank bag where I have my power outlets.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 20th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #21
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for all the tips! My birthday is coming up next month so I'm going to add those items on my wish list.

Old February 20th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #22
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Well between Scala, and Sena you have two excellent choices to research, don't go cheap no-name eBay China one, get a quality one, hell nobody can tell I'm on the bike going down the road, the noise cancelling technology is that good.

And some of the high end models will tell you whom is calling, etc..... It's very amazing.
No no-name china stuff. I won't skimp out on this. My dad is a truck driver and I think by law they have to have head set or a hands free device.

Old February 20th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #23
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
My setup: Sena 20s and Techmount TechGripper for the phone. Works wonderfully. You can get a great deal (better than Revzilla) on the Sena 20s from Riders Discount (just talk to Mike).
Does he do price matching?

Old February 20th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #24
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:

Sometimes on long trips or touring I use my Garmin GPS, but since I found WAZE it's been collecting dust. Now I just use that, I love it's turn by turn navigation, I have found it very accurate, and it just interrupts my Pandora for a few seconds etc.... And the phone resided in my jacket, or in the tank bag where I have my power outlets.
Was it a motorcycle specific Garmin, or at least with Bluetooth? I'm in the market for one and curious how you liked it when you used it.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old February 20th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #25
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Does he do price matching?
He does better than price match in my experience. I got a dual pack Sena 20s for way cheap, so cheap that Revzilla couldn't price match it. I cancelled my order with Revzilla and bought from Riders Discount. It was about 100 dollar difference at the time. Hell, you could buy the dual pack and sell off the other one at a price, if you don't need it, then use that money toward other motorcycle gear, etc. Or he may give you a good deal on just the single pack.

Old February 20th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #26
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Man, that 20S is looking sweet. Might have to pick one up soon before the season starts.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #27
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
He does better than price match in my experience. I got a dual pack Sena 20s for way cheap, so cheap that Revzilla couldn't price match it. I cancelled my order with Revzilla and bought from Riders Discount. It was about 100 dollar difference at the time. Hell, you could buy the dual pack and sell off the other one at a price, if you don't need it, then use that money toward other motorcycle gear, etc. Or he may give you a good deal on just the single pack.
That's awesome. How do I contact him? What do I tell him?

Old February 20th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #28
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
That's awesome. How do I contact him? What do I tell him?
You can call him up at this number 866-931-6644 ext 804, ask for Mike. If that number doesn't work, from the website they have this number 1-866-931-6644. Tell him you want a deal on the Sena 20S (or which ever one you decide to get) and see what he can do for you.

Old February 20th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #29
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
I am considering getting a cell phone mount and a blue tooth set.

I am NOT looking for another distraction to add to the risk of motorcycling. I just want it for reassurance.

Allow me to explain.
For some reason, my wife does not understand that I can not simply answer my cell phone while riding, and she tends to call me often and repeatedly if I don't answer. I have to pull over to a safe spot in a parking lot, remove my gloves, take my phone out of my jacket, take off my helmet, and then call her back.

What I will use the blue tooth is for a quick reassuring answer like "Hey, I'm riding, and I am still alive. Got to hang up now!" The cell phone mount would just be so that I can see who is calling to see if it is even worth my time making a quick answer. I can also use it if there is an emergency that I need to be aware of and need to make my way home or some possible scenario. And so that I can tell time.

I know Revzilla has MANY products but I end up getting what is called choice paralysis. Can I just use a simple blue tooth that they cell for cell phones? My helmet is a full face helmet and non modular.

Any tips and advice appreciated!
Ram mount

Old February 20th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #30
Ghostt
in your machine

A high end headset model will tell you whom calling, no need to take your eyes off the road

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g9

Link to original page on YouTube.

Or you could both just use WAZE and she can track you, and or the guardian angel app works good too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....guardianangel

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 20th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #31
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

That 20S though...looks pretty legit.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM   #32
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Personally I'm hoping to see an iron man style helmet that affordable, and it must have the Jarvis voice.
Well, no Jarvis and not affordable, but.... http://www.skully.com/#smartest-helmet
I'm sure you've already seen that...

Quote:

Sometimes on long trips or touring I use my Garmin GPS, but since I found WAZE it's been collecting dust.
I've had mixed luck with WAYZ providing directions, but love it for the notifications. So, google maps navigates for me with audio, but I keep WAYZ open on the screen... You have Android or Iphone?

My question is, how do you get Siri to recognize "WAYZ". She'll open/search google maps just fine, but gets confused with WAYZ pronunciation....

@NevadaWolf - Do you use the build in speaker with that Sena of yours? Is the 20S the only one that will allow the use of your own speakers/ear buds?

Disclaimer, I know it illegal in some states, and dangerous to wear both ear buds while riding. I'm no advocating this. This is my opinion and not a recommendation to your own action.

I love my Etymotics Research ER6i's. They cut 30db off the wind noise making it easier for me to hear traffic and protecting the ear drums. My music can be set super low along with navigation directions. Now, if I can add the possibility of a microphone so I can speech-to-text, that would be awesome, but not without those earbuds... Ear plugs and the provided speakers just do not have the base response

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:52 PM   #33
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
@NevadaWolf - Do you use the build in speaker with that Sena of yours? Is the 20S the only one that will allow the use of your own speakers/ear buds?
My understanding is the 10 has an optional base that includes a line out port for ear buds. My 5 does not so the speakers are my only option. Used with my ear plugs, I can still hear all but some podcasts.

But my hearing is messed up anyway so "good enough" is good enough for me.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:10 PM   #34
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
That 20S though...looks pretty legit.
It is, I highly doubt you'll have buyers remorse with this. The ergonomics are fantastic.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:13 PM   #35
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

I'm a little late to the show but I'm super happy with my RAM mount and slipgrip phone holder.

I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole about 1/4" deep in the stem bolt and used a RAM mount ball with a 1/4-20 stud to mount a 1.5" aluminum RAM arm and a slip grip phone holder.

I haven't picked up the blue tooth headset yet but I use the mount for the clock on the phone and for directions on the screen a few times.

I love it.

Sorry for the dark photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAM.jpg (70.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RAMMount.jpg (95.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SlipGrip.jpg (90.7 KB, 6 views)
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:42 PM   #36
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
I'm a little late to the show but I'm super happy with my RAM mount and slipgrip phone holder.

I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole about 1/4" deep in the stem bolt and used a RAM mount ball with a 1/4-20 stud to mount a 1.5" aluminum RAM arm and a slip grip phone holder.

I haven't picked up the blue tooth headset yet but I use the mount for the clock on the phone and for directions on the screen a few times.

I love it.

Now that's an awesome DIY, did you do a write up? If not, you should.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:48 PM   #37
Ghostt
in your machine

@spooph

Yea, I've seen the skully a very cool innovation, like all technology when it's new is expensive, but after a few years it's dirt cheap.

So I'll wait for that, and as far as J.A.R.V.I.S. goes, it's coming, mark my words on that.

SIDENOTE: when you consider all the features that SKULLY packs into a helmet and it price of $1,500.00 USD, and then you consider the cost of a high end helmet, it's really not that bad.

Look at the AGV Pista GP Carbon Helmet for $1.399.00 USD, yes we all agree it's an awesome helmet, but as so many have pointed out it's just that, a helmet.

So for an extra $100.00 USD you can buy a SKULLY. Or just wait like me and my broke ass for the price to come down, which it will.

Til then I'll be sporting my FULMER, and making believe I have J.A.R.V.I.S. by talking to myself.

ZX-2R BLOG

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #38
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

I love it.

Not late at all, I am still reading through this thread. I appreciate all the replies. Im gonna ask for the 20s for my birthday, mount my phone, and use it as a Gopro alternative.

Old February 24th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #39
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:

I love it.

+1

I did this as well. not a bad mounting point but i still want to do an under windshield position eventually.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old February 24th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #40
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
use it as a Gopro alternative.
Oh, wait? You're wanting a GoPro like setup?

Forget the 20.

Go for the 10C!