Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old July 18th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Ducati and Audi Working on V2X Tech

Tech is not the answer to every problem, but it’s definitely already made most of our lives* better in lots of ways. When people freak out over autonomous vehicles, I definitely understand their concerns. Tech, when it doesn’t work, can also be eminently frustrating and potentially deadly. But over the years, it seems like a little fine-tuning is all it takes to nearly perfect some systems: “I never got your email” is no longer a valid excuse. People who said ABS was a bad idea have had their own lives saved by it many times by now. Now there’s lean-sensitive ABS, traction control – so why not V2X to solve motorcycling’s biggest threat: cars running into us. I hope I get to ride long enough to benefit from “Across Traffic Turn Collision Risk Warning” tech, but if I don’t, at least my kid will. Ducati and Audi are on the case.

—————————————————————————————————————-Ducati Press Release, 12 July 2018

Ducati is working with industry leaders in developing direct communication interoperability between motorcycles, vehicles, and infrastructure
  • Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro at the first live C-V2X direct communication interoperability demonstration between motorcycles, vehicles, and infrastructure
  • Along with radars, communication between vehicles is one of the strategic projects of the Ducati Safety Road Map 2025
Borgo Panigale, Bologna (Italy), 12 July 2018*– Ducati continues to invest in safety and, together with Audi, participates in the first demonstration in Europe of a new vehicle-to-everything (V2X) communication system between motorbikes and cars. As announced in April, the Bolognese company has outlined a strategic line, called “Safety Road Map 2025”, for the development of new safety systems and technologies. The first steps in this strategy are the extension of the ABS Cornering to the entire range and the introduction of a bike with front and rear radar on the market in 2020. In addition, the Borgo Panigale company is experimenting, together with various industry leaders, some new technologies that will equip its bikes in the medium and long term.
One of these technologies is called C-V2X and it is a wireless communication system between road users such as cars, motorcycles, pedestrians, and bicycles and infrastructure. C-V2X technology is a key step toward 5G for automotive applications with direct communication between vehicles and their surroundings.
The demonstration featured Audi Q7 and Audi A4 road vehicles, as well as a Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro two-wheel vehicle equipped with C-V2X technology utilizing the Qualcomm*9150 C-V2X chipset solution. The showcase demonstrated common situations that can take place between motorcycles and vehicles, and how C-V2X technology can be used to help improve road safety. These include Intersection Collision Warning, where a vehicle equipped with C-V2X technology pulls out from a junction with an adjoining road and avoids hitting a motorcycle rider who has the right of way, as well as Across Traffic Turn Collision Risk Warning, in which a vehicle avoids a left turn collision with a motorcycle. Finally a warning of sudden braking of the leading two-wheel vehicle.

Neuburg, 03.07.2018: xxx. Foto: Lukas Barth

“This is the perfect demonstration of use cases in which the modern technologies can drastically improve the safety of future motorcycle users”,*said Pierluigi Zampieri, Vehicle Innovation Manager at Ducati Motor Holding.*“Indeed, the C-V2X communication is definitely one of the key projects of the Ducati 2025 safety road map”.
This demonstration was the first of the ConVeX (Connected Vehicle to Everything) project involving Audi, Ducati, Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC), SWARCO, the Technical University of Kaiserslautern, and Qualcomm CDMA Technologies GmbH.

The post Ducati and Audi Working on V2X Tech appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...