ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old July 10th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #1
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

The Orange Hulk!!!

Hi guys, after much dreaming and planning and scheming and begging and pleading... Well, you get my drift, my better half let me get myself a new(to me) toy!!!

Picked up a sparingly used RC390 for about 2,400$. As is the custom, I already have a host of mods planned out for it, starting with upgraded suspensions and hopefully a fast action throttle... Pics below...

Last futzed with by psych0hans; July 11th, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

Old July 10th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
you made sure that wasn't stolen right

sick deal!

Old July 10th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #3
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
you made sure that wasn't stolen right

sick deal!
All papers are clear Its in india, so it's cheaper as it is. About 3800 OTD depending on where you live.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

WOW that price! Congrats Hans! Can't wait to grill you about it
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Congrats Hans, have fun and enjoy it.

And this http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/qse/ should be your first mod -> you'll love it
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #6
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Congrats Hans, have fun and enjoy it.

And this http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/qse/ should be your first mod -> you'll love it
Dat Price!!! lol

Old July 10th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

The little side extension for the rear fender (on the sprocket side) is interesting. What is its purpose?

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #8
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
The little side extension for the rear fender (on the sprocket side) is interesting. What is its purpose?
That's what we call a "Saree Guard" It's an ancient law, that every bike made in India must have one of these. It's for women who wear long skirts/sarees and sit side straddle, so their clothes don't get caught in the chain/wheel... It makes little sense on these bikes, but a law is a law...

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
looks great hans! im jealous

Old July 11th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #10
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Nice. I don't even want one but if someone said take this for $2400, it'd be in my garage right now.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #11
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
That's what we call a "Saree Guard" It's an ancient law, that every bike made in India must have one of these. It's for women who wear long skirts/sarees and sit side straddle, so their clothes don't get caught in the chain/wheel... It makes little sense on these bikes, but a law is a law...
Ahhh, that makes sense (well, you know...) I learned something today!

Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:58 AM   #12
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Hey @psych0hans do you enjoy your new bike and have you done modifications already?

Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:30 AM   #13
psych0hans

Quote:
Hey @psych0hans do you enjoy your new bike and have you done modifications already?
Hi Roland, not yet bro, my bike still needs to be transferred to me and then transported to me. I haven't even seen it yet. Hopefully by the end of this week tho. I have a **** load of mods planned out, but I'm not going to make the same mistake as the Ninja by rushing into it. I'll ride it bone stock for a month or two before I start making mods one by one... First will probably be the master cylinder, Brembo 17RCS. and eventually the suspension will see some work. R6 rear shock and RC8 internals and lowers for the front.

Just a few things that are waiting to go on... Will keep make a new post here when I actually get the bike... The Quick Action throttles may not go on, as I'm working on making my own on the 3d printer, lets see how that goes... I also have levers, tank pad, air filter, etc... But like I said, this is going to be a SLOW update, as I want to implement each mod one by one and evaluate the difference it makes to the bike...

How are things on your end? good to hear from you. Do you know a lot about YSS shock absorbers? I believe they are thai based, but don't know too much about them.

Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:44 AM   #14
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Hi Roland, not yet bro, my bike still needs to be transferred to me and then transported to me. I haven't even seen it yet. Hopefully by the end of this week tho. I have a **** load of mods planned out, but I'm not going to make the same mistake as the Ninja by rushing into it. I'll ride it bone stock for a month or two before I start making mods one by one... First will probably be the master cylinder, Brembo 17RCS. and eventually the suspension will see some work. R6 rear shock and RC8 internals and lowers for the front.

Just a few things that are waiting to go on... Will keep make a new post here when I actually get the bike... The Quick Action throttles may not go on, as I'm working on making my own on the 3d printer, lets see how that goes... I also have levers, tank pad, air filter, etc... But like I said, this is going to be a SLOW update, as I want to implement each mod one by one and evaluate the difference it makes to the bike...

How are things on your end? good to hear from you. Do you know a lot about YSS shock absorbers? I believe they are thai based, but don't know too much about them.
Hi Bro Hans, thx for the reply and wow what a great plan about mods
Do the RC8 internals fit the RC390? That's impressive and will make it very special.
Also does the R6 shock fit? The only thing what makes me wonder is the R6 shock has a linear spring and I think the KTM's have progressive, or am I wrong?
Let me say with going step by step you're on the right way and I hope to hear more about that all.

With my bike everything is done, all mods are made (even when more could be done) and I am really happy with it, especially after that Irish Racing mech did my suspension setup.
And one more thing, I've never thought that a quick shifter would be so smooth and so much fun to shift - I guess nobody will shift that quick. A Bravo for Healtech
About YSS shocks, I have one (w/o compression) and it's a big gain compared to oem. Some time ago (3 - 4 years) they should have had problems with oil leaks, but I can't see anything like that with mine.
So good luck for you and have many fun with the RC390/8

Old August 3rd, 2015, 06:26 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:01 AM   #16
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

I know how that wait is man, I had to wait a month for the title to come back to the previous owner on that RSV.

Hang in there!

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:17 AM   #17
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Very nice!!!!!!
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:29 AM   #18
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Cool bike bro!
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:31 PM   #19
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
I learned about this when I gave my coworker a ride home from work.

Congrats!

Old August 4th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #20
psych0hans

Quote:
Hi Bro Hans, thx for the reply and wow what a great plan about mods
Do the RC8 internals fit the RC390? That's impressive and will make it very special.
Also does the R6 shock fit? The only thing what makes me wonder is the R6 shock has a linear spring and I think the KTM's have progressive, or am I wrong?
Let me say with going step by step you're on the right way and I hope to hear more about that all.

With my bike everything is done, all mods are made (even when more could be done) and I am really happy with it, especially after that Irish Racing mech did my suspension setup.
And one more thing, I've never thought that a quick shifter would be so smooth and so much fun to shift - I guess nobody will shift that quick. A Bravo for Healtech
About YSS shocks, I have one (w/o compression) and it's a big gain compared to oem. Some time ago (3 - 4 years) they should have had problems with oil leaks, but I can't see anything like that with mine.
So good luck for you and have many fun with the RC390/8
Hi Roland,

My Pleasure bro, it's always a pleasure conversing with you, as your knowledge of bikes is quiet vast and you are always willing to provide good advice

I genuinely have no idea if the RC8 internals will fit, what I do know is the forks are both 43mm, so IDEALLY they should. This I will only find out when I try it. I'm going to buy a set of used forks to experiment on, if it works, great, if it doesn't, I just lost a good part of 200$... lol It's a gamble... One more reason to go in for the RC8 internals + lowers was that I can, eventually, go in for a dual disc set-up, something I'm totally OBSESSED with... lol

The R6 shock from 99-02 is a direct replacement, with two exceptions. The bottom eyelet needs a 12mm-10mm bush, as the RC390 has both eyelets at 10mm and the R6 has one at 10mm and one at 12mm. Another thing is, since the RC390 doesn't have a linkage, it needs a much heavier spring than the R6 to achieve the same SAG. So while the R6 already has a pretty heavy 9.3kg/mm spring, the RC390 will need a 12.5kg/mm spring for a rider about 150-160lbs without gear. This is very well documented on this thread http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/whe...-99-02-r6.html

I was planning on getting a YSS shock for my bike, but I'm confused between that and rebuilding my R6 shock. I have rebuilt my GSXR shock for the 250, and I know what a terrible job I did... lol I also don't have the resources to do the Nitrogen charging and bleeding properly. SOOOOOOO I have four options : -
1) equip myself with a nitrogen charger and bleeder set-up and do the job myself,
2) look for someone who has the set-up locally (can't find anyone)
3) Look for someone to carry my shock abroad and have it rebuilt there (Dubai is an option)
4) buy a brand name shock brand new and just use that (money is an issue)

Anyways, I have time to figure it out, as I'm in no hurry. I contacted someone in Dubai and they quoted me around 325$ for a rebuild including parts and labour, a bit too rich for my liking... Lets see, I'm sure I'll figure something out eventually...

Old August 4th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #21
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

sweet
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #22
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
The R6 shock from 99-02 is a direct replacement, with two exceptions. ... So while the R6 already has a pretty heavy 9.3kg/mm spring, the RC390 will need a 12.5kg/mm spring for a rider about 150-160lbs without gear.
Hello Hans, thank you very much bro for your very kind words

With the above saying it comes to my mind, maybe a spring from Hyperpro would fit your needs with the rear shock.
Those springs are progressive and the one for 98-02 is order-no. SP-YA06-SSB012 - idk the spring rate from this one, but you could send them an email and ask about it.
Their website is: http://hyperpro.com/en/
I've bought one for my Ninjette and the spring rate for this is 87 to 120 n as they told me after I'd ask for it and the price is around 120 USD.
Anyway I already wish you a big success with your coming modifications

Old August 4th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #23
psych0hans

Quote:
Hello Hans, thank you very much bro for your very kind words

With the above saying it comes to my mind, maybe a spring from Hyperpro would fit your needs with the rear shock.
Those springs are progressive and the one for 98-02 is order-no. SP-YA06-SSB012 - idk the spring rate from this one, but you could send them an email and ask about it.
Their website is: http://hyperpro.com/en/
I've bought one for my Ninjette and the spring rate for this is 87 to 120 n as they told me after I'd ask for it and the price is around 120 USD.
Anyway I already wish you a big success with your coming modifications
Hi Roland, I could also use the stock spring if I want, but eventually I'll buy a heavier straight rate spring, rather than a progressive one. Thanks

Old August 5th, 2015, 05:38 AM   #24
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Earlier July, I got to ride my friend's RC8 for about 12-16 miles on local twisties.. pic is not me, but I was riding along side and taking the picture.

I'm no stranger to powerful motos, but RC8 felt light as my Ninja 250 and gets about 100 more hp. I never really got above 2nd gear.
Entertaining fun for sure, I'd like to take it on the track and really run it though its capabilities.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #25
psych0hans

Yeah, it's a real shame they stopped making them. There were a few imported in india as display bikes for the KTM showroom and were sold locally, because taking them back would be more expensive... Too bad I couldn't afford it

Old August 5th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
[QUOTE="A";1038478]I'm no stranger to powerful motos, but RC8 felt light as my Ninja 250 and gets about 100 more hp. I never really got above 2nd gear.
Entertaining fun for sure, I'd like to take it on the track and really run it though its capabilities.[/QUOTE]

Here is a [URL="https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=733115&postcount=37"]tease[/URL] from a couple of years ago.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #27
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Here is a tease from a couple of years ago.
I think you messed up your post... lol

P.s. Great read!!!

Last futzed with by psych0hans; August 6th, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 03:36 AM   #28
psych0hans

Finally united with my 390

Hi guys, I was finally united with my beloved Orange Hulk this Sunday and have had the chance to put in a few miles, too few unfortunately, but a few nonetheless... It's VERY different from the Baby Ninja... Low end grunt is tremendous and it's quiet a loud and vibey machine, when compared to the Ninja... Very flickable and much better brakes (compared to the 250). Need to ride it more to make a fair comparison, but so far so good... It's a very narrow bike, so gripping the tank is slightly difficult and I tend to put more pressure on the bars than I should. Riding position is definitely more committed, but I feel the foot pegs could be slightly higher and further back.

Some pics...

Selfie with the Hulk!

As she stands now...

Farkels..

Something to remind me of what I'm riding...

Loads more farkels/mods to go on, but going to pace it out... Next up...
Radiator Guard...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:20 AM   #29
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Looking good man. It has my favorite style of exhaust. I love the kind that's built into the fairing down low, it just looks so clean.

Old August 31st, 2015, 05:17 AM   #30
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

WOW Bro what a nice bike
You know I love my Ninjette with all her mods, but to be honest ...

a little bit I'm envious - congrats for that beauty.

Old September 1st, 2015, 02:47 AM   #31
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Hans let me please recommend something really good for your RC390.
Since you said you rebuild the front forks with the internals of the RC8 then it would be good to eliminate the breakaway torque, what by the way at the usd-forks is much bigger than at the conventional forks, with adding Czech HKS GGV into your fork oil: per 100 ml fork oil add 2 ml of GGV.
You can buy it here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Czech-HKS-GGV...item5422353cc9

Your ride will be very smooth.

Old September 1st, 2015, 03:06 AM   #32
psych0hans

Quote:
Hans let me please recommend something really good for your RC390.
Since you said you rebuild the front forks with the internals of the RC8 then it would be good to eliminate the breakaway torque, what by the way at the usd-forks is much bigger than at the conventional forks, with adding Czech HKS GGV into your fork oil: per 100 ml fork oil add 2 ml of GGV.
You can buy it here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Czech-HKS-GGV...item5422353cc9

Your ride will be very smooth.
Thank you Roland, I'll buy it ASAP.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:14 AM   #33
psych0hans

Hi guys, I finally managed to get some time to take the Hulk out and stretch her legs a bit... Did a 100 mile round trip, up the mountains, to enjoy the twisties... All I can say is WOW! The bike is really amazing for what it is and I totally loved riding it. It's really peppy and totally flickable thanks to its uber light weight. It does have it's flaws, but nothing MAJOR and nothing that some light modding can't iron out. Some pros and cons...

Pros : -
1) Peppy Engine, almost instant torque and power.
2) Light weight, very flickable.
3) Uber fast, don't feel like I need a bigger bike at all.

Cons : -
1) Uber vibey engine, gets tiresome after some time.
2) Brakes. Definitely need to upgrade at least the pads.
3) The Seat of this bike is torture! It's even worse than the Ninja 250r seat, and that's saying something.
4) Bike is very jerky at low revs, maybe a fueling problem.

Here is a list of things I want to get done to her PRONTO...

1) Brakes... Definitely brakes... Initially I thought the brakes were fine and didn't need to be upgraded too soon, but I've changed my bike. It's really lacking the bite I'm looking for and the bike takes it's time to slow down. I didn't find any problem with the master cylinder, as the pull is nice and firm, so I'll start with changing the pads and take it from there.

2) New grips to reduce the vibes.

3) Reworked seat to make it comfortable.

4) Remapping to try and improve fuelling.

5) I increased preload on the rear shock because it was hitting the poorly constructed speed breakers while riding two up, seems to have helped.

6) Zip Tie mod to reduce throttle pull.

Will keep adding miles and reporting the updates here...

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:44 PM   #34
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Off of the top of my head I wonder if it vibrates more in the hands because the bars are attached directly to the triple instead of using a riser or clip on.

Thicker/heavier bar ends? Different triple clamp? Detune motor to 20hp?
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:12 PM   #35
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...or because it's a single.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:33 PM   #36
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...or because it's a single.
also, the vibrations are both in the clipons and the pegs... Planning on stuffing the bars with silicone caulk

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:38 PM   #37
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
...the vibrations are both in the clipons and the pegs... Planning on stuffing the bars with silicone caulk
Or fill the bars with lead shot. Or Dynabeads!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:47 PM   #38
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Stuffing "caulk" into his brandy new motorcycle. Suuuurrrreee, "caulk"

also, at dynabeads.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:23 PM   #39
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Hey Hans enjoy the start procedure of a 1 cylinder and see the vibrations...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old September 8th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #40
psych0hans

Sag Numbers

I'm getting a static sag of 35mm in the front and 15mm in the rear. Rear spring preload is on the 5th setting.

Rider sag is 50mm in the front and 35mm in the rear.

Rear sag seems about right to me, but front sag definitely seems WAY off. is a static sag of 35mm normal?

Bike has progressive springs front and back.