ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:59 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Why do flat track racers hold such a wide line?

I was riding on a road that turned into gravel and loose dirt. I decided to turn back, but just as I did, I saw a dude on a cruiser fly past me and tip his big 'ol bike down and go around a turn real fast on the gravelly road. So I decided to try to follow. I couldn't keep up, but I decided to look more into dirt and flat track. I've noticed that flat track racers go to the outside of the track after they exit a turn. Why is this?

Good example at 35:45

Link to original page on YouTube.

Also, if you've got any tips on how to ride on dry dirt/gravel faster and better, I'd love to hear 'em!

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:43 AM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
that is where momentum takes them, not to mention they want to keep up their speed too.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

It makes the turns less sharp also
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:58 AM   #4
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Remember outside, inside, outside?
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:02 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
what everyone else said, especially chris. They need to keep their speed and momentum up, when you are in the dirt you can't be so abrupt on the brakes or throttle for a few reasons so you can't brake as quickly to hit a tight line and if you loose to much speed going inside making the turn sharp you can't just hammer on the throttle and expect to make that lost speed/momentum up, you are just going to spin tire and not get that power to the ground where it needs to be. So staying smooth and keeping up speed is important

You should not be trying to ride like a flat tracker on gravel roads.... for the most part. Line choice is important, the wider you start and the wider you finish after hitting apex (all while staying in your lane) will help make the turn easier and you should not have to be so quick to lean the bike in or lean the bike over as far to complete the turn which will help you hold traction and stability. Again stay smooth

IMO when riding "fast" with loose traction you are always at risk of having a wreck or some sort of incident. You have very little leeway if you misjudge something or over/under react to something, best to heed caution than to push the limits of your riding.... unless you are purposefully off road. But a good line and staying smooth is what you typically want to focus on.

When I am dirt riding it is not uncommon for me to over shoot at least 1 or 2 turns over the course of the day when I am pushing myself and the bike and I have been riding for a while, it's typically not a big deal when off road on a dirtbike, that would probably not be the case when on a street bike on a gravel road.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM   #6
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I've only been up to about 70 on a straight gravel road. we will regularly hit extra legal speeds on FS roads and whatnot. I was really scared at first until I got upon the tank, elbows out, and really pushed the bike into the turn, while i stayed more upright. now it's a blast!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:57 PM   #7
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
The road I'm on is safe if I do end up wrecking. It's all land with no fences or anything to bump into. It'll hurt my ninja more than it would a dirt bike, but I think I'll still try to have fun out there. Maybe I'll look for some dirt instead of a gravel road, though. Just for fun Thanks for all the informative responses. Makes me wish I had a purpose-built dirt bike :P

Old August 7th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #8
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Makes me wish I had a purpose-built dirt bike.
Maybe it's time to start thinking about a dual-sport. (KLR, KLX, WR...)
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #9
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Maybe it's time to start thinking about a dual-sport. (KLR, KLX, WR...)
I've been looking into building a supermoto for gokart track use. There's a local sumo club and I'd love to do that and I could also stick the knobbies back on and go dirt riding too. I'm just waiting until the right deal comes up

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
........... I've noticed that flat track racers go to the outside of the track after they exit a turn. Why is this?
Please, read this:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lide-15454499/

I believe that the limited traction is the reason why.
The bigger the radius (exterior wall to exterior wall), the smaller the forces that the tires need to make to achieve a turn.

The power and pointing direction of the rear tire push the front tire towards the inside of the turn, helping with traction and steering.

Like for cornering on asphalt, there is a delicate balance of forces at play.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.