ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 5th, 2021, 11:16 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Adding a lowering Kit to my 2012 Ninja 250R

OK this is mainly for SHORT PEOPLE ! you tall folks won't appreciate this at all
I'm sure.... but for us Shorties it makes a huge difference !
To start off, I searched the web for a lowering Kit for the 2012 Kawasaki 250R Ninja... and found several to choose from, the one I decided on was fully adjustable in height so I could get the height I wanted...
(I want a 28" seat height if I can get it)
they had it in Green so I got it at $37.00 or so and it got here in 2 weeks or less... so it was not as long as they said in ship time !
there's No instructions in the kit but with only 4 parts you won't need any.
it's very straight forward and easy to do, the only problem is not allowing the bike to fall over while your doing it ! ( as I have been known to do !)
to get the bike up and the weight off the back tire I put the side stand down and then slid a screw jack under the back of the bike by the oil filter and put a thin board over the metal jack so as not to hurt the filter cover.
I cranked up the jack till the rear tire just cleared the ground...

here's a Picture if what I am trying to get to.... the Dog bones of the rear suspension...

with the weight off the rear tire I simply pulled the 2 long bolts holding the original Dog-bones on the bike. and then inserted the new ones that I had already set to length. and bolted them down with their new longer bolts.

I had originally set the length of the adjustable links at exactly 1" longer than the original dog-bones.... but I found that was too much it dropped the rear by 4.5" and alowed the tire to touch the inner fender when I bounced on it.
so I took them off and re set the links/adjusters to exactly 3/4" longer than the dog-bones, and that looked fairly good to me. so I left it there.
HOWEVER... the side stand is now too long and I will have to deal with that shortly. but next is to test ride the machine and make sure it works as I planned... the low points are the foot pegs so I should be safe there
i'm no Hot rod anymore so I expect it will be fine for me !
the seat height is 27"~28" now ! and is much MUCH easier for me to get on the thing ....
if your SHORT like me ....YOU NEED to do this !!!!! it's far safer to have your knees bent while setting on the bike , you can push the bike back with more force and actually maneuver it like you should be able to !
Bob.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original dog-bones.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg new lowering kit.jpg (102.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg reat tire off ground.jpg (34.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lowering Kit.jpg (122.8 KB, 0 views)

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; September 19th, 2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Additional information
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

and I inserted the photo's in line as I typed this and I rotated all the pictures to reset the orientation bit, but alas, it did no good ! AURGH !
here's a Pic of the bike now....

Bob...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210905_095105.jpg (195.3 KB, 0 views)

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; September 5th, 2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Additional information

Old September 5th, 2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
and I inserted the photo's in line as I typed this and I rotated all the pictures to reset the orientation bit, but alas, it did no good ! AURGH !
Bob...
Did you rotate them multiple times to make them go a full circle? I understood Danno to say that.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2021, 11:22 AM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yes I did....
Bob....

Old September 5th, 2021, 11:22 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Try cropping a little to actually modify image, then rotate 4x.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2021, 11:26 AM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ahh ok I didn't do that ....
AHHA ! I did it !.... a tiny cropping to actually modify the pic and it saved it properly ....
thank you Danno ....Very much !
now if i can figure out how to insert the pic's in line instead of just attaching them to the post
i'll have it all figured out... i think..... lol....
Bob.......

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; September 16th, 2021 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Additional information

Old September 5th, 2021, 11:44 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

There Mission accomplished ! thanks guys !
Bob....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 5th, 2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Also I would like to add I had my Kid help me when putting on the new links as the rear tire and swing arm had to be raised up to accommodate the longer length of the adjustable links... it's critical to get the links adjusted to exactly the same length, and although I didn't do it, ( i probably will) adding a large washer on each side of the bolt will help keep dirt out of the o ring on the needle bearing or bushings in these pivot points... greasing them would be a good idea as well... I didn't ... OOPS !
Bob....

Old September 5th, 2021, 12:05 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

here's a before and after picture .
....(the passenger's seat is down by 2" or 3 " on the Left.)
Bob...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja 06.jpg (142.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg after lowering kit.jpg (195.3 KB, 2 views)

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; September 16th, 2021 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Additional information