ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 6th, 2021, 07:48 PM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Name: Ioben

Motorcycle(s): 83' KZ750L3, 84' FJ1100, 94' VT600C, 07' K1200S, 09' EX250J

Question Amazon Frame Sliders - How to Install...

I just bought delrin frame sliders on Amazon. No installation instructions are provided. Material seem pretty good in quality, but it seems there are more parts than I need to install. Has anyone bought this kit? If so, what was your experience with them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sliders.jpg (68.3 KB, 25 views)
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2021, 10:44 PM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Wink HTTMT MT219-058-BK No Cut Frame Slider Compatible with 2008 2009 2010-2013 Kawasaki N

Ok, I installed the sliders this evening and I got to say… it was simpler than I thought. I used every piece that was provided in the kit. I really like the quality of the material too. If you decide you want to save a little money, give this kit a try and use my instructions for install as a guide.

You will need the following tools to perform this job:
- Floor jack
- Short piece of 2x4
- Allen wrenches (Metric)
- Socket set w/ratchet (Both metric & standard sizes)
- Wrench set (Both metric & standard sizes)
- Heavy duty curved pick
- Lock tight (Red)
- Torque wrench

Use the picture of the parts with the A-I diagram:
A – Sliders
B – Slider socket bolts
C – Internal spacers for the sliders (these are inserted into the slider tubes)
D – Slider bushing (left side of bike)
E – Bolts to secure frame slider mounts
F – Sleeved nuts for frame slider mount bolts
G – Frame slider mount (right side of bike)
H – Frame slider mount bushing (right side of bike)
I – Frame slider mount (left side of bike)

Remove your side fairings, exposing the entire engine and radiator. Use the floor jack and 2x4 to support the weight of the engine as seen on picture #1. Remove the factory engine mount bolt & nut that is located above the exhaust headers. Find the longer frame slider mount bolt (E) and slide it into G, with H on lastly (Note: I like to use lock tight “Red” on these parts). This will be inserted into the right side of the bike. Use one of the sleeved nuts (F) to fasten the bolt to the bike as pictured in picture #2 (Note: you will want to use the curved pick to hold the sleeved nut in place, otherwise the sleeved nut will spin freely). The frame slider mount should look like picture #3 (Note: The mount should hug the bottom of the last cooling fin on the cylinder head). Use the shorter frame slider mount bolt (E) and slide it into (I). This will be inserted into the left side of the bike. Use the last sleeved nut to fasten on to the bike. The frame slider mount should look like picture #4. Make sure to torque the bolts according to factory mounting bolt specs. Put your fairings back on. The slider mount threads for the socket bolts, should be seen in the fairing gaps. Find out which slider (A) holds the shorter internal spacer (C) and use the shorter socket bolt (B) to mount this set on the right side of the bike. Should look like picture #5 afterwards. Lastly, use the slider bushing (D) on the slider set for the left side of the bike. The bushing should look like picture #6. You should now be left with no remaining pieces… if you still have a piece, you did it wrong. Hope this helps someone with their install!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sliders 1.jpg (43.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_220530.jpg (208.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_220424.jpg (82.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_220406.jpg (159.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_220447.jpg (185.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_225128.jpg (134.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_225148.jpg (127.8 KB, 9 views)

Last futzed with by flipstyledsm22; May 12th, 2021 at 11:51 PM.

Old May 12th, 2021, 10:47 PM   #3
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

I think they look great and don't stick out too far either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210512_225512.jpg (199.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_225058.jpg (211.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_225308.jpg (223.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_225416.jpg (180.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20210512_225443.jpg (167.5 KB, 10 views)

Old May 14th, 2021, 08:27 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2021, 05:12 AM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Thank you for that !!!! I have been considering getting those because I keep letting the ninja fall over ! ( it's fairly tall for me) last time I dropped it it cost me a turn signal, a bruised butt and alot of swear words on a closed off mountain road...
I doubt those would be strong enough for a full blown crash at speed, but for falling over ..they should save the scratches on the fairing !
Bob......

Old September 2nd, 2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I put mine on yesterday and today.... I got'em on there but I'm not thrilled
at all, the one on the right sticks out further than the one on the left and the one on the left doesn't look like it's out far enough....
I switched the slider with the spacer from the right side to the left side
and that helped quite a bit so the one on the left got the spacer on my bike...
However the bolts ( only 2 in the kit with Allen heads) only sticks out 1/4" on the right side so it does not go deep enough into the mounting bracket to make me happy at all.
I was sure to get the collars that go inside the sliders correct they won't fit right if their mixed up. the collar needs to be flush with the end of the slider
.... that being said the right one still sticks out a bit further than the left one
and the left one needs to be out about 1/2" to 1" more .... and sense the right slider is held on with only 1/4" of the bolt ...I am not real thrilled with the results.....
...... Plus I had to make a longer bolt because their funky 2 piece bolt system didn't fit in my bike at all... the part (f ) is the problem it would not fit in the slot of the bolt... so I made an 11 1/4" long bolt by welding 2 3/8" lag bolts together and used it, I double nutted one side and just nutted up the other side....
if you ever want to remove something again don't use RED lock tight on it... use the blue.... I had to remove something I had used Red lock tight on and the bolt sheared off !!!!! it works too darn good , ya just as well rivet it !
the blue will hold the bolt from coming loose again... but allow you to take it
back off. that is what it is designed for.... use the BLUE... Not RED, Red is for permanent instillation.
Quality of the Kit: the main brackets are 2 different thicknesses the one on the right is about 5/8" thick, the one on the left is just 1/2" thick why there is a difference I don't know.... the bolts would be fantastic if the one was 1/4" longer but it's not they do seem to be of good quality steel though
.... I didn't have to do any real cleanup to the kit but sending a kit with no instructions is stupidity beyond belief on the sellers part !
the sliders are essentially tubes with a shoulder cut inside for the aluminum spacer/collars to set on which should work very well .
Bob......

Old September 6th, 2021, 05:02 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

After looking at one side too long all day I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and take off about 1/4" off the slider on the right by using the lathe.
I chucked it up with the bracket end facing out in the lathe and just trimmed off 1/4" of the plastic for a smooth finish. then I took it's aluminum sleeve and chucked it up as well and trimmed it down to just a hair under the plastic, so the bolt would crush down that little bit and be good and solid no spinning on the slider !. although I suppose now that I think about it spinning would be a good thing when sliding down the highway on it's side... LOL and to accomplish that all I would have to do is trim off just enough plastic to turn easily when it's bolted up... but Now the short bolt goes all the way in like it should and the sliders are so close to being the same length i pay it no mind now...( you gott'a look real close to tell that the right one is a tad longer than the left one now.)
.... if My kit was any indication of the quality someone else might get i'ed be reluctant to buy it to be honest ... the bolt thing that holds them on was a
P.I.T.A..... the top engine mount bolt ! and it has to be strong so I didn't want to use 3/8" all thread rod for an engine mount bolt but it would have been a fast fix... but threads tear the hell out of aluminum in high vibration environments... I am sure it would elongate the mounting holes in the head,
so I made a bolt by welding 2 3/8"long 8" bolts together so their total length
was 11-1/4" that left plenty or room for washers and a double nut on one side 11" might have been plenty but I wanted to be sure it was long enough LOL doing this meant the threads were not in contact with the head just the steel in the frame hole.
I had to grind off alot of weld because I welded the heck out of it and I am sure it will never brake ! (famous last words right ?)LOL.
Now.... I am getting used to the bike, it's small and compact and has alot of get up and go... the more I ride it the more I like it ! lowering it was a real good thing for me.... that's a heavy little bike and you need a lower seat height.... or longer legs !!!!
Bob.......

Old September 24th, 2021, 08:07 PM   #8
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

OMG... You went through hell and back on this kit!

I talked a buddy of mine into buying the same kit and helped him install it... turns out the kits are not built the same everytime

I must have gotten really luck with my install, but after going through 2 different kits with my buddies bike (btw, both of his kits were wrong and he just decided to get his money back and risk it without sliders) I have changed the tune of me liking this kit... it's a PITA and if you don't get the right parts, you are SOL and loosing time/effort trying to make it work.

No wonder why this seller or kit company does not include instructions... it's hit or miss with their product.

Anyways, I'm glad you were able to make it work. I'm sure not everyone is as resourceful as you though.

Old September 24th, 2021, 09:57 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yes unfortunately that's the case.... 99.9% of the people out there are very resourceful , but don't have the tools or knowledge to do something, that is why the internet is so very helpful ! in areas where your not sure of you can double check and see how someone else did it ! that's why this post is a good one
you can be certain that others will first get the sliders and then discover something is amiss !
it's not that they can't turn a wrench to save their soul it's that they don't have that wrench !
there's a bunch of guys that shouldn't even attempt mechanical work but that is not the usual case .
my sliders are on the bike now and their part of it. I just hope I never use them ! HAHAHAHHAHA
.... I'ed say the hardest part was getting a long enough bolt to attach them to the frame... the kits 2 bolts that join in the middle is iffy at best in my opinion... making up your own bolt is far better IMHO .
Bob.......