ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

On 2/10/12 My Ninja was Born - A Familiar Story

I've got a familiar story that I'm sure you all can relate to from the day you took your first baby home (the bike not a real baby). I had been on every forum out there, scoured every classified ad for a month. Anxiously waiting for "the one" to come along. I check Craigslist every half hour hoping someone would list a new Ninja 250. I searched every over priced listing on cycletrader, I posted to the wanted ads. Then I found the one...

I rented a uhaul trailer and drove an 1hr and 45min alone to look at a bike that I don't yet have the skills to test drive or the know how to properly inspect. The bike - An Ebony Black 2011 with 1800 miles, Yoshi slip on, Targa fender eliminator, and shotgun no-cut frame sliders. My plan was to ask the seller to meet me at a nearby parking lot under the guise that I couldn't find his house. My thinking was that given the mileage and year it was likely mechanically sound and if he could ride it to me well that was as close as I'd get to a test ride.

He pulled up on the bike and the beautiful sound of that yoshi pipe made my heart melt. My price $3200, and the bike was mine. After completing the paper work we loaded the bike onto my trailer and I set off. The urge to pull over along the highway and admire my bike on the side the road was tempting but the overwhelming feeling was paranoia that I would hit a massive pot hole and my baby would be catapulted accross three lanes of traffic errupting in a fiery mess along the New Jersey Turnpike. I have a 23 foot boat which I've hauled many times and some how this was way more nerve racking.

I finally arrived home in a light drizzle and realized I didn't have a cover for the bike. The livingroom of my 900 sq ft apartment would have to serve as my garage for the night. No way I was gonna let my bike get wet. So I used every muscle in my 160lb body to lift my bike over several curbs and navigated the tight apartment hallway seeking refuge from the elements (I think at least 10-15 rain drops fell that night). Struggling through the door with my bike my wife looked at me from the couch saying only "you are sick."

Kick stand down and bike finally settled I stared at it in amazement. My first bike. Black and beautiful. Intoxicated by the gasoline fumes permeating apartment and the anxiety induced exhaustion, a thought crept into my mind "now how do I start this thing."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3762.jpg (100.8 KB, 24 views)
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #2
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

Congrats on the new bike
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Grats and welcome! That's one sexy bike.

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

hahahahaha beautifully narrated.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #5
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just an FYI, they are waterproof

Also that is a ridiculous price
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #7
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Just an FYI, they are waterproof

Also that is a ridiculous price
I think Jiggles here is a little bit jealous of that slip on exhaust It'd make my heart melt just as well

Great story, and glad it all worked out for ya!
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
I think Jiggles here is a little bit jealous of that slip on exhaust It'd make my heart melt just as well

Great story, and glad it all worked out for ya!
Actually I absolutely despise loud annoying bikes, if I were him I'd switch back to the stock pipe or get an Area P full system
AFM #676

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #9
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Actually I absolutely despise loud annoying bikes, if I were him I'd switch back to the stock pipe or get an Area P full system
I can understand that. I went for my first ride early this morning in my neighborhood and I was definitely self-conscious about the nose I was making at 9am in a quiet neighborhood. However, I do love the sound of the pipe at speed. I think if you are respectful of keeping the revs low when its considerate to do so then there is nothing wrong with it.

I thought I got a great deal. I spent a month scouring the web for the right bike and I'm happy with my choice. I think the timing in NY was perfect considering those who are selling over winter are eager to get cash so they can start looking for their upgrades immediately.

My first ride went well. I rode for a half hour practicing slow speed manuvering in a parking lot nearby. I feel pretty comfortable up the the speed I was traveling ~40mph but above that I felt like I was flying! Practiced hard stops from 20mph. That's all I was comfortable with first time out. My MSF is in 2 weeks so I'll be practicing until then when there are few cars on the road. Loving it so far!!!

Old February 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
to Ninjette!!!

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #12
smackenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi 250

cool story bro

welcome here
smackenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #13
klewi
Ninjette of the North

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Great post! Gotta love it. Welcome to the club.

Old February 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #14
ninjagaiden09
ninjette.org member

Name: Mel

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Nice Bike...
ninjagaiden09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #15
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
I can understand that. I went for my first ride early this morning in my neighborhood and I was definitely self-conscious about the nose I was making at 9am in a quiet neighborhood. However, I do love the sound of the pipe at speed. I think if you are respectful of keeping the revs low when its considerate to do so then there is nothing wrong with it.

I thought I got a great deal. I spent a month scouring the web for the right bike and I'm happy with my choice. I think the timing in NY was perfect considering those who are selling over winter are eager to get cash so they can start looking for their upgrades immediately.

My first ride went well. I rode for a half hour practicing slow speed manuvering in a parking lot nearby. I feel pretty comfortable up the the speed I was traveling ~40mph but above that I felt like I was flying! Practiced hard stops from 20mph. That's all I was comfortable with first time out. My MSF is in 2 weeks so I'll be practicing until then when there are few cars on the road. Loving it so far!!!
Nice! That MSF course will help alot. It was very helpful for me. Yeah, exhausts can be loud and disruptful but if you keep the RPMs low, there is no issue. Keep up the hard work and stay safe!

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Dude...are you an author/writer?? Great story!
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #17
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
So, what did your wife mean by, "you are sick" exactly?

Old February 18th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #18
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
So, what did your wife mean by, "you are sick" exactly?
To her that phase is synonymous with "you're an idiot." I cant blame her no one but us could understand the obsession we have with our bikes. From time to time I goutside and tinker with my bike trying out different cargo configurations, cleaning it, or just plain starring at it and she will ask "now what are you doing?" She's not very technically inclined so I can usually respond with something like "I've got to get the flex capacitor up to 1.21 jigawatts in order to generate the proper reaction." That usually buys me a solid 20 minutes...

Old February 18th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Tell her you have to sync the carbs, and that it should take a few hours lol

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post

You got an amazing deal. For reference I bought a 2011 Ninja new for $5100 then got an area P full system for $600 and an EFI conversion kit for $500
AFM #676

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #21
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Haha, good story. Welcome man! I feel ya on not getting her wet. Both my neighbors think I'm insane because both my brand new cars are outside and the ninja gets the garage.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #22
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Haha, good story. Welcome man! I feel ya on not getting her wet. Both my neighbors think I'm insane because both my brand new cars are outside and the ninja gets the garage.
Yup, my cars take the driveway while the bike stays in the garage. Then again, A pool table hogs the garage so no cars can fit anyway.