ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 14th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Ktrae0309
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): None yet

What information do I need to get a replacement key?

Hey there, so my boyfriend has lost his key for his ninja 250r. No spare in sight. I wanted to get him a new key for his birthday! Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm aware that I need the correct blank and a key code, but I do not know where to find either of these things.

The bike is a 2009 if that helps. Once I acquire these things, do I just take it to a locksmith, hand him the blank/code and that's it? Sorry I am clueless, just want to surprise him and get him riding again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ktrae0309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #2
aymik253
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kimya

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

if its anything like getting a replacement key for a car. just go into the dealership with the registration and they should be able to cut you a key from the vin number. ive had to do this several times sadly
aymik253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I tried getting a spare key for my pregen from my local dealer, and was told that they don't handle keys. I was amazed.

Look at this page under the heading "What if I lose all my keys?". It looks like there's a way out, but I'm not sure if this applies to newgen 250s like your boyfriend's.

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_d..._about_keys%3F

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; October 16th, 2017 at 11:46 AM.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
On newgens 08+, there's numeric code on ignition-switch that can be used to cut new key. I think you may have to remove ignition-switch in order to see the code.

Even without code, a good locksmith can take cylinders out of lock and make a key from that. Similar to this video. I had this done on my original VF500F 25-years ago when one and only key I had finally wore out.

Link to original page on YouTube.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
On newgens 08+, there's numeric code on ignition-switch that can be used to cut new key. I think you may have to remove ignition-switch in order to see the code.

Even without code, a good locksmith can take cylinders out of lock and make a key from that. Similar to this video. I had this done on my original VF500F 25-years ago when one and only key I had finally wore out.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Just a note that won't help this lady out. If you buy a used motorcycle and are presented with only one key. The first thing you do is take that key with two or three O.E.M. blanks (they ain't cheap) and have two or three keys cut. My 3 blanks cost me $30.00 + and cutting them cost $6.50. Use only your freshly cut keys and put the O.E.M. key you got with the bike away in a safe place. Don't use the key you got with your bike to prevent further wear and keep it as a "master" if you need a new key in the future. "A stitch in time saves nine.

Bill

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 16th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
My 3 blanks cost me $30.00 + and cutting them cost $6.50.
All very true, except I got a couple keys duplicated at a local hardware store, and including the blanks and the cutting they were something like $3 each. Of course they were not Kawasaki blanks. Check around, you might get lucky like I did.

Old October 16th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
All very true, except I got a couple keys duplicated at a local hardware store, and including the blanks and the cutting they were something like $3 each. Of course they were not Kawasaki blanks. Check around, you might get lucky like I did.
When I bought my Honda 500 single I went to the Honda dealer and bought two O.E.M. blanks for $14.00 a piece but the dealer couldn't cut the keys. So I went to a local locksmith. He looked at my key, pulled two blanks out of his inventory and charged me $3.00 a piece with instructions to return my O.E.M keys to the dealer for a refund.

Did the same thing with the Ninja- same dealer (my locksmith was out of business by then). Would have had to wait three weeks for the blanks and still get them cut elsewhere.

Bet your keys are't this sexy. Hell, I spent over $400.00 for Yoshimura mufflers, what's a few buck for keys.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (141.1 KB, 2 views)

Old October 16th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

No, but my wife has a programmable embroidery machine.

Old October 16th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #9
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
No, but my wife has a programmable embroidery machine.
Lucky!

Bill

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Other alternative is to take off gas-cap assembly and take that to locksmith to make key. Only three of 6 bolts really hold it to tank, other three are cosmetic. I think it's bolt at 2-o'clock position that's used, then alternate every other bolt from there.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #11
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I had a locksmith cut a key directly from my ignition. Took very little time and was only about $30 for 4 keys. Didn't get OEM key blanks; just got whatever the locksmith had. I tried the key code from my bike first but the key it made didn't work.

Old October 16th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #12
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Other alternative is to take off gas-cap assembly and take that to locksmith to make key. Only three of 6 bolts really hold it to tank, other three are cosmetic. I think it's bolt at 2-o'clock position that's used, then alternate every other bolt from there.
When I had my three replacement keys cut they worked in every tumbler but the gas cap. Don't know what, but I think I read somewhere that there's something unusual about the gas cap tumbler. No matter to me because I was going to dump the locking gas cap anyway. It would be a shame to have keys cut that only work in the gas cap. I'm referring to a 2007 Ninja here not a 2009.

Bill

Old October 16th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I had a locksmith cut a key directly from my ignition. Took very little time and was only about $30 for 4 keys. Didn't get OEM key blanks; just got whatever the locksmith had. I tried the key code from my bike first but the key it made didn't work.
I don't expect to be in that position but I'm sure going to remember that.

Thanks.

Bill

Old October 17th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
If you buy a used motorcycle and are presented with only one key. The first thing you do is take that key with two or three O.E.M. blanks (they ain't cheap) and have two or three keys cut. My 3 blanks cost me $30.00 + and cutting them cost $6.50. Use only your freshly cut keys and put the O.E.M. key you got with the bike away in a safe place. Don't use the key you got with your bike to prevent further wear and keep it as a "master" if you need a new key in the future. "A stitch in time saves nine.

Bill
I second this recommendation. I was glad I got two keys with mine, since the one I was using turns out to be too worn to actually stay *in* the ignition. Luckily I was in a parking lot when I found that out and I didn't lose the key. My second key is sound, so I used that to get another key made to use. Make sure to test your keys, too, since it took my locksmith a couple of tries to get a key cut that would turn the lock.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote