Old January 4th, 2018, 07:37 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Really good technique vid... trail braking, throttle management, downshifting

Ken Condon at NHMS. Watch the left hand and listen. You'll learn a lot. I did.

Link to original page on YouTube.

(Cross-posting in Riding Skills because this applies to both street and track.)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2018, 08:53 AM   #2
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

(I'm not a track/track-day guy)

I found myself counting his upshifts and downshifts, wondering if I counted correctly?

It seemed that he only made 6 gear changes per lap (on this track).

The question in my mind was, "Is that less shifting than you would do on most tracks?" When I've watched other track rider videos it sure seems like there's a lot of shifting gears going on during a lap. Shorter than a normal course? I see that it's only 1.6 miles long, which sounds pretty short to me.

Was this his normal race pace for a lap or was he going at a less than race pace?
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2018, 09:39 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
There's a lot less shifting than you might think. Really depends on the bike. A 250 depends on keeping the revs up, so you shift more than you would on a bigger bike that has more torque.

Every shift is a potential source of error (even Ken misses a shift in this video, and he's good). It also interrupts your drive and potentially upsets the chassis if you're not smooth, both of which slow you down.

Finally and perhaps most important, shifting a lot adds workload that you don't need (trust me... at speed, a whole lot of your brain is occupied with just riding the bike).

I don't recall how often I shift at NHMS, but it's about the same as Ken. Probably less, because he's a lot faster than I am.

At Thompson, he (and I) ride the whole lap in one or maybe two gears except for the straight (he currently rides a Street Triple, I ride an R6).

Check this out:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Same at Palmer, more or less.

When you're a new track rider, it's common to over-slow for corners and try to make up for it on the straights. There's a greater difference between your fastest and slowest speeds. So you feel that you need to shift to get more drive out of the corners.

As you gain experience and skill, you carry more speed through the corners, so less need to downshift.

There's also a lap management aspect to this. At Palmer Turn 1, the "right" gear is to go from 6th down to 2nd, because TTD sets up a chicane just after the turn to manage speeds down into Turn 2 and keep people from splatting themselves against a giant, scary rock wall.

The chicane is slow. BUT right afterwards, the track dives steeply and bottoms out at Turn 2. Your speed comes up fast, so you'd be upshifting again almost immediately anyway.

So the smoother way through there (which I found through experimentation) is to take Turn 1 and the chicane in 3rd gear... less herky-jerky power delivery from second-gear engine braking... and hammer it down the hill. Your momentum is plenty to carry you through the chicane. Less drama, more speed.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote