ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r Red

battery dead?

Hey guys, so I went to start up my bike today only to find the key still in the ignition. It appears the battery is dead and wont start. None of the lights work. Can't believe this happened.

Any help is appreciated. Like how to fix the battery?
I have a car battery charger BTW. Hoping I can use that.

Thanks!
ProdigyRacingLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Just pop off the seat and trickle charge it with one if you have it. Also, if you have jumper cables, just connect them to your car, but leave your car OFF then connect the other end to your bike, and give her a sec, and push the start button Should work everytime!
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
if you don't have a trickle charger, get one. In the mean time, you can bump start your bike, and then be prepared to go ride it for a solid hour and your battery will be as good as new
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Oh and another option is to push/jump start it! Find a friend or a hill, and with your ignition and switch turned on, and your choke as well, get on the bike and put it in first or second gear. Then hold the clutch in while you roll down the hill or while your friend pushes you, and then release the clutch, that should start it up and recharge your battery as well!
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyRacingLA View Post
I have a car battery charger BTW. Hoping I can use that.

Thanks!
Only if your charger has the option to switch it to a 2 amp rate or lower. A charger built for car batteries supplies much more current than our tiny batteries require and can possibly damage the plates.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #6
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the quick replies guys!
I know its a noob question, bit I never imagined i would be careless enough to leave the key in the ignition and on. * smacks forehead*

Anyhow, I will jump start the bike tonight, but is there anyway of getting the battery back to regular operation mode?
Can I use the car charger to restore the battery power or will running the bike after the jumpstart for an Hour. Really get it fully charged once again?

Again, thanks to all who reply. It's good learning opportunity for Me.

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #7
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
I never imagined i would be careless enough to leave the key in the ignition and on.
sh!t happens, it happened to me too. i roll-started my bike, rode if for about 30 mins, and havnt had any problems since, so no need to buy a new battery.
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Thanks for all the quick replies guys!
I know its a noob question, bit I never imagined i would be careless enough to leave the key in the ignition and on. * smacks forehead*

Anyhow, I will jump start the bike tonight, but is there anyway of getting the battery back to regular operation mode?
Can I use the car charger to restore the battery power or will running the bike after the jumpstart for an Hour. Really get it fully charged once again?

Again, thanks to all who reply. It's good learning opportunity for Me.

Just ride it and it will be fully charged again. Just keep the rpms higher than like 4k and it will charge the battery up just fine!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Can I use the car charger to restore the battery power or will running the bike after the jumpstart for an Hour.
Not just running for an hour, riding for an hour. The alternator needs at least 4,000 rpm's to charge the battery.

basically prepare to go for a ride, bump start it, and then go ride as you normally would. Just make sure to take a good long ride so it's charged when you're done.

Old March 13th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #10
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

The only thing taught in the MSF courses that I completely disagree with is to turn your bike off with the kill switch. And this is exactly why.

They say it's safer to turn the bike off with the kill switch so that your hand never has to leave the handle bar. But seriously, if you're stopped, and already in the process of exiting the bike, just turn the key.

As stated by @choneofakind, bump start it and then go for a nice long ride. These bikes is incredibly easy to bump start. If you're really desperate, you don't even need a friend or a hill. Even though it's much easier with one of the two. If you don't have either of the two, get the bike into second gear if you can (I know it's difficult when not moving), if not, 1st will work. Get off the bike, push it about as fast as you can safely go, dump the clutch then immediately pull it back in. Then hop on, and ride away.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #11
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Hey thanks for all the tips and advice you guys!! ( I read all of it and soaked it in.)
Can't thank you all enough.

I'm off tommorow but. Might find myself going out tonight just to make sure she can run and is okay. Haha
I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes!!!!

P.R. LA

Old March 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #12
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Hey I just picked up the batttery charger and it has a 2a Trickle charge setting! For a 200a engine start. So u will be able to charge it.

My only question now is, once the seat is off. Where do I connect everything? Or do I need to unhook the battery from the bike?
I took pics but since its on a mobile I can't upload..

Last futzed with by ProdigyRacingLA; March 14th, 2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammer?

Old March 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #13
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Hey I just picked up the batttery charger and it has a 2a Trickle charge setting! For a 200a engine start. So u will be able to charge it.

My only question now is, once the seat is off. Where do I connect everything? Or do I need to unhook the battery from the bike?
Take off the two black panels to the left and right of the seat. You'll then have access to the bolts holding the seat on. Take those off and remove the seat and there's the battery.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #14
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
Take off the two black panels to the left and right of the seat. You'll then have access to the bolts holding the seat on. Take those off and remove the seat and there's the battery.
Thanks for the reply.

So I did remove the black side skirts, and the seat is off. I'm starring at the battery. Should I take the screws holding the battery in place off?
Or is it possible to charge it without removing the battery from.the bike?

( conducting surgery via internet is tough, but thanks for helping!! Haha)

Old March 14th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #15
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

If it has clips you can just clip them onto the battery while it's in the bike. Make sure you put them on the correct terminals. The colors should match.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #16
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
If it has clips you can just clip them onto the battery while it's in the bike. Make sure you put them on the correct terminals. The colors should match.
Gotcha, I'm doing it now. I'll let you know how it goes bro.

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
2 Amp charging? That's high

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #18
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
2 Amp charging? That's high
Yeah it says trickle charge under neath it.
Been charging for about 25 mins now. Idk when it'll be done. I don't wanna cook the thing.